Interesting situation for a motorcycle shop owner. Would you give them your business

Re: Interesting situation for a motorcycle shop owner. Would you give them your busi

I do my work myself, but I wouldn't care. That's why I have insurance. When I read most hated I was thinking more along the lines of sex offender.. If that was the case I would steer clear.

Re: Interesting situation for a motorcycle shop owner. Would you give them your busi

I'd think that would be like a reformed smoker (GixxerHP) working in a tobacco store.....:)

I like the post in that thread that said the felon "probably has a lot of experience with breaking down the parts in a timely manner, thus saving shop hour time."

:laugh:

i bet there are more felons doing some kind of work just around the corner than most people realize

Maybe he's reformed, maybe not. At least you know what he did. There's alot of people around that did alot worse that we don't know about.

i would be willing to bet that shops insurance carrier hasnt heard or authorized that stipulation....also that is why you cary insurance on your bike, and take reasonable precautions to lock it up

My real question is this.... Are there no other deserving people out there that know how to wrench? Why bring in an employee that is going to be so questionable to your business, to lose just one customer is too many.. Sounds like someone that was in the business before he got caught needs to learn something new to take all those questions away....

Just my opinion....

cap

First off, is he is on parole, his parole officer is an idiot. Parole in N.Y. would violate this guy for going within 10 feet of somebody's motorcycle. Second, it is not about whether he is reformed, or he "learned his lesson", or whatever. Yes, everybody deserves a second or third or fourth chance, yada, yada . . . he certainly deserves a chance. What this is about is whether or not it was a "sound" business decision to hire a known motorcycle thief in the very same area in which he committed his crimes. IMO, it was one of the worst decisions this shop ever could have made. Like Cap said, losing one customer because of this decision is one too much. I would concentrate on running a service center, not a social center . . .:laugh:

I think it's fine. Now everybody who's bike he stole knows right where to find him :crowbar:

i agree with 1166 here... i wouldnt want a known bike thief to know what i have, and where i live... put him in a service position and he has access to my keys, can get a copy made, write down the address come by and bye bye bike.... i wouldnt even buy gear from that place, too much temptation for the guy

It would depend on my relationship with the shop and the owners 'policy' on what IF he loved your bike more than you did... Maybe she's combated it with a "here's an fixer upper and as long as you're not joy riding others people's bikes and you pay for your parts you can have it. And you can only work on it on your time." type of thing.. Some incentive for him working hard. Because if he's watching everyone walk in and out of the shop with their bikes and he doesn't have his own, it may be easy for him to 'slip' back in to old habbits.

I guess it'd also depend on how long he's been stealing bikes. If he did it once and got caught that's one thing, but if he's been in and out for doing so, well he had his second chance a long time ago.

I,m for the 2nd chance, if he does it again , hunt him down and kill him.

If it was my shop their is no way in hell I would hire him. Is it the shop owners son or something?

I have a friend that has owned several busineses over the years. He had just recently sold a business so he was looking to start another. I have done HVAC since 1997. Two of his friends used to work for another HVAC business. Both were fired for stealing. They run the numbers by him (when new construction and the economy were great) and he thinks it sounds like a good business. So he agrees to start up the business and have the two other guys run the company. I quite my job to help him start the business also. Every thing was good for about a year and a half. Then my budy that put the money up calls me one day and explains to me how his costs keep going up, but the income remains about the same. Start looking into things and it turns out the two where doing side jobs and buying all the equipment and materials on his account. They even had the balls to call me and have me help them on a few jobs and bill the hours to my buddys business. We are talking $2,000-$5,000 per job in materials. He estimates well over $30,000 and as much as $100,000.
The first time he told me they had ben fired from their previous job for stealing I said what makes you think they won't do it again? He said they wouldn't. "they are good friends"

I agree with Manny's previous posts, I also agree with this:- (Its a tough one)

Romans 12:17-21 (New International Version)

17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. 20On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Back