Integrator Kits

Well couple things as food for thought.

In Pa your turn signals are to be atleast 7" apart(basically the width of our tag.)

Human nature will pick out movement as many animals with and focus on it. Problem is once focused it loses focus on the actual activity. Example: driver behind you sees your brake light flash as you pump your brakes slowly for traffic. You turn on your integrated turn signal. Driver's unfocused brain writes your new flashing as same taillight. Traffic moves then you move but you make your sudden (in the eyes of the driver) stop and he rearends you. You were trying to make a signalled left hand turn. Driver saw traffic stop, you stop. Traffic move, you move and BAM you stopped in front of him. He never "saw" the turn signal. I would only recommend ANY turn signal if its an OPPOSING color to the tailight such as YELLOW.

yep, just as that same driver would not notice a brake light being different from a turn signal, such is life on a bike, regardless of what you are flashing.... they will not see it.

this is why I use hand signals with every lane change, turn, etc...

so, gary, which integrated kit do you recommend? (my favorite is the mace
laugh.gif
)

so, gary, which integrated kit do you recommend? (my favorite is the mace ) [/QUOTE]

What da hell, no bright orange safety vest
laugh.gif

yep, just as that same driver would not notice a brake light being different from a turn signal, such is life on a bike, regardless of what you are flashing.... they will not see it.

laugh.gif
)
I really have no favorites. Simple trailer convertor from most auto parts stores will work ($10-15.)

laugh.gif
)
I watched a Harley rider use hand signals (well sort of) instead of his installed turn signals. In Pa, hand signals can be used in conjunction to turn signals BUT they can NOT be used INSTEAD of them hence why they (turn signals) are required to be on the bike.

I've thought of doing this, but would probably add some aftermarket turn signals, as well. Really like the integrated look, but am not sure how it will work in traffic. Maybe I'll be surprised.

Dr - You might want to think twice before changing to integrated lights.  While driving my commuter cage the other day a sportbike whipped out in front of me on a busy road.  He/she had those integrated lights.  My initial reaction was confusion.  Due to the lights being so close together, and bright sun shine beaming down on the lights, it was difficult to tell orange from red.  It took me a short period to recongize what the biker's intension was.  I wasn't sure if he/she was pumping the brake(s), or was intending to turn.  Being a rider myself I like to give bikes plenty of space and not tailgate.  Unfortunately the same can't be said for many cagers.  Luckily that extra space gave me a few seconds to realize he/she was planning on turning.  Figure cagers already have a tough time mentally recongizing bikes in general, now throw into the mix a signaling system that may cause some confusion, and the results might not be pretty.  As for me, my FJR stock signals are only one inch from the tail/stop light and I'm not too crazy about that.  I'm planning on adding LED turn signals on each side of the license plate.  Perhaps I sound a bit paranoid, but 2 of my rider friends have been rear ended by cagers; destroying their bikes and laying them up in the hospital.  Luckily they lived.  My .02.

Back