Imput needed, Speedo and Odometer quit working.

-Remove the left under cowling

-disconnect the speedometer sense lead wire coupler.

-remove the speed sensor by removing its mouning bolt

-connect 12v battery (between B/R AND B/W) 10kohm resistor (between B/R AND B) and the multi circuit tester (+probe of tester to B/R and - to B)

B/R : black with red tracer
B/W : black with white tracer
B : black

- under above condition if a suitable screwdriver touching the pick-up surface of the speed sensor is moved, the tester reading voltage changes (0v-12v-0v)
if the voltage does not change replace speed sensor.

copied from above. it has a wiring diagram, dunno how to get that on here so you can see it.

can u explain better the paragraph that begins -connect 12v battery...

Connect 12v battery between the 2 wires? lol i'm good with wiring but sounds like gibberish.....connect it to WHAT between the wires lol?
Posted via Mobile Device

Page207-35-1.jpg

Page207-35-1.jpg picture by viper66401 - Photobucket

see if you can see either ill try to explain the diagram...

basically youre connecting all the circuits of the speed sensor the opening and closing it

the picture helped. I wasn't aware how the connector looked, i'm good to go now
Posted via Mobile Device

cool. tried to butcher it up to understand, if you got it now no need for me to confuse you. lol

what is indicated by the "V" is that the multimeter?
Posted via Mobile Device

am i to assume the + lead of battery goes to B/R & B/W cuz now that i look at the picture i' even more confused. no indication as to +/- on the 12v
Posted via Mobile Device

no, wire comes out from b/w, in one side of battery/power source, shouldnt matter which + or -, then out to the system,

yes the v is the multimeter.

judging by the pic, the leads of multimeter are to be placed on either side of the resistor and that would do nothing

i'm feelin like a real dumb jerk right now
Posted via Mobile Device

instructions don't seem to make sense with picture

"connect 12v battery (between b/r and b/w)? the pic shows connection between b/r and b, not b/r and b/w
Posted via Mobile Device

maybe its just the way the pic is oriented......i think I got it now. i'll have to hit up radioshack for a resistor. I have 1K ohm but not 10K. does it say 1/4 or 1/2 watt resistor?
Posted via Mobile Device

theres a little dot where b and b/w connect showing the connection per instructions there.

connect a wire to each post first then follow the instructions. its kinda hard to grasp the way its spelled out from manual and the schematic doesnt help unless your familiar with them.

connect the b/w then to batt
connect wire to b/r
connect wire to b then to resistor

connect all the going out sides of the connecter then meter on both sides of resistor.

i'll use 1/2 watt just to be safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

i tested it with multimeter set at 20k and it starts reading at like 15 or so then winds down to 9.72 & stays there.....then i touch screwdriver to flat spot on speed sensor & it drops to 1 then back up to 15 & counts down to 9.72 again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmmmm, did you try your instruments in another Busa? Just to check if the error comes from the odo itself.

Another idea: Remove the batterie's negative pole for some hours so the whole electricity can "discharge".

I know some Xenon lights cause trouble to the instruments as the high voltage is not insulated from ground. Even though the 24,000 Volts only act for some seconds to start the lightning (then go down to 90 Volts) it's enough for the low voltage instruments.
In these cases I usually either change the cable's position behind the "deer head" and/or wrap the wires with aluminium foil so they are insulated. The aluminium itself must be bended to ground somewhere...

Hope I could help
D1

OK Busa guru's here's my problem speedo and odometer quit working.. I think it got a spike from something aftermarket I had installed.. It all started with a radar detector and hid headlights.. if the buster was on and I turned on my high beam it would spike causing my fuel and temp gauge to peg on full and hot, turn off key and turn key back on and all was fine.. The last time it screwed up the buster was off i think (not sure) but I hit the high beam hid once it flashed and went out, twice it flashed and went out.. third time the odometer and clock just had dashes is all, also battery went dead overnight.. Charged up battery, unplugged said gauges and plugged them back in and clock comes on but odometer only has dashes and speedo don't work.. Battery is holding charge as well now.. Took all aftermarket stuff off bike.. Bike is back to stock wiring except for hid headlights and acumen gear indicator which does work too..

I've been banging my head on this one. :banghead:
I talked with Mr. Bogus on the phone and he suggested bad or faulty rectifier..

ps I'm out trucking right now so don't ask me to go out and try this or that.. :laugh:

Open to all suggestions..
ever find your answer for the malfunction?or the fix?im having the same problem on my 2000 busa

Back