Imput needed, Speedo and Odometer quit working.

DR1300R

Keep On Trucking
Donating Member
Registered
OK Busa guru's here's my problem speedo and odometer quit working.. I think it got a spike from something aftermarket I had installed.. It all started with a radar detector and hid headlights.. if the buster was on and I turned on my high beam it would spike causing my fuel and temp gauge to peg on full and hot, turn off key and turn key back on and all was fine.. The last time it screwed up the buster was off i think (not sure) but I hit the high beam hid once it flashed and went out, twice it flashed and went out.. third time the odometer and clock just had dashes is all, also battery went dead overnight.. Charged up battery, unplugged said gauges and plugged them back in and clock comes on but odometer only has dashes and speedo don't work.. Battery is holding charge as well now.. Took all aftermarket stuff off bike.. Bike is back to stock wiring except for hid headlights and acumen gear indicator which does work too..

I've been banging my head on this one. :banghead:
I talked with Mr. Bogus on the phone and he suggested bad or faulty rectifier..

ps I'm out trucking right now so don't ask me to go out and try this or that.. :laugh:

Open to all suggestions..

I've got a spare cluster you're welcome to borrow to test with. Judging from what's happened it sounds like either a fuse or a cluster problem.

I've got a spare cluster you're welcome to borrow to test with. Judging from what's happened it sounds like either a fuse or a cluster problem.

I have GSXTacy and Corndog here local.. I could try there gauges but would hate to ruin them or your spare set as well.. :banghead:

There is a test for the speed sensor in the service manual on page 7-35

According to the manual, if the sensor checks good, it recommends replacing the cluster. You might check the schematic and check continuity on the wires, since you mentioned voltage spikes a wire could have been burned, although I would think you would have smelled the insulation...

According to the manual, if the sensor checks good, it recommends replacing the cluster. You might check the schematic and check continuity on the wires, since you mentioned voltage spikes a wire could have been burned, although I would think you would have smelled the insulation...

Thanks Paul, I'll check speed sensor out when I get home..

Open to all suggestions.. HUH,,, BUY AN 08! LOL:whistle::whistle::rofl::rofl:

Sorry old man, but im thinking, ill look at my diagrams when i get up later, going to bed now!

Open to all suggestions.. HUH,,, BUY AN 08! LOL:whistle::whistle::rofl::rofl:

Sorry old man, but im thinking, ill look at my diagrams when i get up later, going to bed now!

'08 huh, only if I had your money.. :poke:

call me later, young man.. :laugh:

Doyle, I would be cautious about testing a fresh gauge cluster BEFORE you find the source of the surge/drained battery issue.. you could spike the new gauge set and kill it as well.. (worth noting that he has fried several sets of after market LED's too)

Doyle, I would be cautious about testing a fresh gauge cluster BEFORE you find the source of the surge/drained battery issue.. you could spike the new gauge set and kill it as well.. (worth noting that he has fried several sets of after market LED's too)

yep, yep for shore.. I said I wouldn't use Paul's or any other gauges in fear of frying them out as well.. Oh and it wasn't several sets just two..:poke:

Last edited:
Doyle bruvah-you say this like its a BAD thing, :lol:

dont feel alone out there tho-mine also went dead a while back...uhm, I mean yesterday *i would NEVER drive around with my speedometer not working:whistle:* it flickered n shut down...the needle on speedo still does full sweep on start-up n odo shows mileage before glitch happened, but I get 0mph at 3k rpms in 6th (close to 50-55mph on my bike) n everywhere in between.

I planned on switchn to new cluster soon tho, with digital dash n GPS to reall tell how fast Im going:thumbsup:

Page 7-35...

Page 7-35.jpg

so since I don't have a computer, can someone copy/paste the testing procedure for the speed sensor? I need to verify if mine is bad or not before I buy a different one. Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device

Page207-35.jpg

can you see it like this?

are you on a BB?

if so click the link, itll take you to the pic, click menu button, view full image then you can scroll around and read it.

if not i can try to make it so you can read.

nope i'm on a "crackberry" a.k.a. Samsung Blacljack 2
Posted via Mobile Device

Back