Clocks and gauges failed

Bob2012

Registered
The clocks and gauges on my 99 Busa have failed. When I reconect the battery all the needles (Speedo, Rev Counter, Fuel & Temp Gauges) all swing to max and then settle at zero, When I switch on the ignition only the neutral and oil light come on and the needles do not move. The clock and odometer also do not work. All the dash lights work apart from the F1 light.The bike still runs fine. I have cheked all connections possible and even taken out the clocks. All looks good. I suspect the EMU could be the problem but according to the wiring diagram there are only two wires from the EMU to the gauges (speedo and Revs) Temp gauge and fuel gauge seem to have nothing in common with the EMU I think.

I would be greatful for any advice please

I'm thinking ECU or wire as well. From memory you're right. If you have a buddy close by you could swap clusters :poke:

Xenon High Intensity Discharge headlights...it's a mod...

Prbly the gauges are messed up. Mines were like that and I got new gauges and it was all good. See if u cud swap with a friend

Probably a problem in the gauges. Just swap the gauges with someone else's to see. The sweep when the battery is connected is just the reset the gauges do automatically when power is applied to them after being completely cut off from power. Just because they sweep doesn't mean nothing is wrong with the gauges really. Electrical problems SUCK.

BTW, the bike will run just fine without the gauges connected in case you didn't know.

I,ve found someone nearby with an 03 busa. Does anyone know if I can swap the EMU to my 99 without risk of damaging his

it's your guages buddy. I have replaced tons of them for same reason. if it was the ecu they wouldn't do anything power or not..

Before you do all that, have you checked where the speed sensor connects near the front sprocket? A suzuki mechanic once told me that the oil from the chain can get into the connections there and short it out. The result is that the guages stop working. He said to disconnect and throughly clean them and put it back together and that should solve the issue. I've never experienced this myself but it might be worth a look.

Back