I'm Scared

LA Busa

Top 5 Femme Moto Finisher
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, so here is the backdrop:

I started raising my step son when he was roughly 6. Great little guy the whole time.

Today, he is a college grad with a job paying some good coin.
He loves classic rock (my fault), hot rods (my fault) and now he is getting into motorcycles (yep, my fault). He still lives at home and is paying rent....

When he arrived at the age of legal motor vehicle operations I bought him a POS El Camino. Together we rehabbed it. New motor, tranny, body work, paint the whole smear. He loved it and it romped. Life was good!

Several weeks later he was in ICU.
Pulled out in front of an SUV clicking along at 60, no skid marks. He was toast - we thought he was a gonner. His mom nearly lost it. I tortured myself for building the car.

Well, well, well.... here we are some 6 years later. He has two cars, a career and apparently, a new bug.

The other day a UPS 18 wheeler pulls up in front of the house.
It has a bike in it - some assembly required. Its a crappy little Korean rig, basically a dirt bike with blinkers.

He gets it off the truck and asembles it - he is an aircraft mechanic and is good at such things.

Thing is, he has poor motor skills. Driving never came easy to him, we struggled to get him proficient at that and look what happened - has bone-supporting metal up and down his body today because of the wreck.

I made him go buy gear and he spared no expense...
I inspected this thing - its awful but he loves it.

Bottom line is they (kids 22 years of age) will do what they are gonna do. I just need some prayers here!!!!

I'll keep an eye on him, train him and ride with him but damn, you gotta feel me on this one!

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

I love to ride and fully expect that my boys will too, but any parent out there has to feel my fear....

Ok, I'll shut up now....

Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and has listened to your recommendation/insistence of getting gear. It's tough, but you do have to let them grow up! Keep us informed on how things go.

Randy - I am looking forward to when Christopher and Declin can ride with me... but I haven't been through the things you have. Good call on being there with him - I guess you alredy know that the example you set will speak much louder to him or any child than your voice. Good luck - and bring on the pics! Besides - aircraft mechanics are great people!
wink.gif

I would recommend to him that he maybe he start training in the dirt before he ventures on the roads. Learn how to slide a bike, what it feels like when it's in the air, stopping from high speed, etc. I learned that way when I was a kid, so my mistakes were made in the dirt.

It's just an idea, but he's an adult with what sounds like a good head on his shoulders. Maybe you can buy a street/trail bike and encourage him to ride with you?

Anyway, prayers sent as you requested!

You stated,
"he is an aircraft mechanic and is good at such things."
Then I would not worry about it then, He did look at it so he should know its weak points.
Glad he got all his gear! Dont worry Dad they all grow up sooner or later!

Good luck! He'll be okay..sounds like he has a good step-dad to help him learn the ropes!!

My kids have both had quads, sleds, bikes since they were 3-4 years old, starting with electric then going to internal combustion. I always helped them with rules of the road, thought I was stuffing their soft ldittle heads with enough information to keep them safe. Now, my 11 yr ol 5'5 140 lb son flies across the street on a pedal bike without looking.
Bottom line, help them, show them the rules, where possible show them the results, videos, internet, etc, but remember they will do what they want in the end anyway.

Can't wrap him up in bubble wrap, but sounds like you are pushing in the right direction with gear. Is there a track close by where he can get some training? Or maybe a street bike school where he can get some professional training?

I am scared everytime the kids hit the street on their bikes too. It's always some other bobohead driving too fast that doesnt see the bike that is the problem.

Randy, keep him in the yard for a few years
laugh.gif
Sounds like you've done all you can do brother. Hopefully he'll never be put to the test.

I don't think you have too much to worry about.  He should have done some research on what he bought.
Tell him not to venture too far into the fields otherwise he's going to have a long push home.
smile.gif

And is that factory road rash I see?
tounge.gif

Randy, best suggestion I can give, coming from a 23 yr old for a 22 yr old, is a MSF course. Teaches a WHOLE lot. Well worth it to learn the techniques. My mom went through this worrying process when I started riding. It must be an old people thing.
SHOCKED.gif

*Ben get's smacked through the internet from Randy for calling him old*

Sorry Randy...
sad.gif

(Turbo-Torch @ May 13 2007,13:45) I don't think you have too much to worry about.  He should have done some research on what he bought.
Tell him not to venture too far into the fields otherwise he's going to have a long push home.
smile.gif

And is that factory road rash I see?  
tounge.gif
Yes, factory 'shipping rash'!!!

(05 Busa LE @ May 13 2007,13:32) I would recommend to him that he maybe he start training in the dirt before he ventures on the roads.  Learn how to slide a bike, what it feels like when it's in the air, stopping from high speed, etc.  I learned that way when I was a kid, so my mistakes were made in the dirt.  
That's excellent advice that I give out all the time. I understand and can relate to your fear, but all you can do is try to guide him as best you can. That's probably a good first bike, especially since it's probably fairly trail worthy.

Randy, do so try and push the dirt to learn. I did, and my son (CAT4 is 7 now) he's learning there as well. It helps a lot, especially when you start learning how to PLF (Parachute Landing Fall, Army jargon for being able to eat crap when your about to hit the ground and not get hurt too badly!). I would recheck the torque on the essential parts and use locktite if it wasn't already during assembly. I will hope he rides smart and defensive. Good luck with it.

Charlie

sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree. ride with him and teach him like you've done before. He'll be fine
beerchug.gif

look at it like another way to spend quality time with your son

Sounds like you are one hell
of a Dad to me and with you
guiding him he should be
alright. Just be glad he didn't
go out and get a Gixxer 1000
biggrin.gif

(yamahor @ May 13 2007,16:45) Randy, best suggestion I can give, coming from a 23 yr old for a 22 yr old, is a MSF course. Teaches a WHOLE lot. Well worth it to learn the techniques. My mom went through this worrying process when I started riding. It must be an old people thing.  
SHOCKED.gif

*Ben get's smacked through the internet from Randy for calling him old*

Sorry Randy...
sad.gif
+1 I took the MSF a couple of years ago before I started riding the Busa and it is worth the effort and every penny! Kind of makes you think too. Good luck, prayers are with you.
smile.gif

Around here the community colleges have rider safety courses. Two eight hours days of riding fundamentals. I highly recommend them. Otherwise, I just tell my boys to not ride like their dad
smile.gif

I can relate. My oldest son rides a busa and my youngest rides a GSX600R, and my wife rides her own bike too. All you can do is give them whatever knowledge they will accept from you about riding, and enjoy yourself. Although my con Chris is 36, I still get nervous when I see him on a knee at the dragon. It's all my fault though, I let him ride me around on my Honda when he was around 8 years old.
SHOCKED.gif

Good for you Randy. i'd say you've done a great job as a Dad so far and will continue. If he listened to the gear input, get him into a MSF course.
Good stuff.
Proactive thoughts and prayers sent.
beerchug.gif

He'll be just fine!!! I'm sure he's been thinking about how this will affect Dad since the moment he ordered it
biggrin.gif

Best of luck to him...glad he's got the gear too
beerchug.gif

Back