Ignition retard

2000turbobusa

Registered
I own a 2000 busa. Just purchased a turbo from a small turbo manufacture called forced air system technology. Its basically the same as a stage one velocity racing system. The person that made it tells me I need to retard my ignition. I can't though unless I get a stand alone engine management unit. I called velocity racing and I was told I wouldn't need to retard my ignition. Anyway my plan was to use an ignition module from dyno jet to retard ignition but I called dyno jet and they haven't released one for my bike yet. Anyone no of another way to retard ignition on a 2000 Hayabusa. I might just run without it but Im going to wait tell I hear from my turbo guy first.

I heard those guys were out of business?? But any way if you do want to retard your bike you need a schnitz retard box for your bike and get a pressure switch or a Hobb switch and set it for 8psi about 3deg and give it a try,Burt

<!--EDIT|TURBO1320
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147856611 -->

retard.jpeg

I suggested that to him. He said something about build time, basically he said not to use it. Does the pressure switch on that unit only work when pressure is made. Also Im only running 6psi shouldnt I set the box to that psi instead of eight. Thanks

sorry couldnt resist-you may be able to get away w/o ign. retard @ that low boost setting, but if you crank it up, or run your bike @ the track-mite be a good idea. dunno what else you have done to bike- use your signature section in profile to let us see what kinda setup u runnin on your beast.

p.s: what part of WI u in? i'm down in Mil-town, got stuck in rain twice today!
sad.gif
if weather is good tomorrow or friday, i'll be out breakin in my new chain-if your close, PM me your cell/work/home phone, i'll hit ya up.

scott.

Thanks bro.
Ill update my profile tommorow. I live in Whitewater. In the middle of installing my stage1 kit. Planning on running 6psi to start out with. Yeeeppiiiiiii!

The box can be set to instant retard unless something has changed in production. For 6PSI in any situation except Bonneville riding, if your fueling is correct you dont need retard. Your best bet for safety is get it to a dyno and check and setup correct fueling. NEVER EVER just trust a map on a disc that someone says is fine. Every bike is different.

I use the MSD mc4 ignition, you put a trigger plate on the starter side, that way the stock pickup remains for the fuel injection, you install a map sensor on the msd and you can program your ignition retard.
You can also use the clutch switch to set launch retard over time so you can launch with full boost but retard the timing down so there is very little power gain, makes for a great launch control.

Sounds like you want to run your set-up without an aftermarket add on ECU.
I don't know what the others think but even with 6psi I would like to have the extra flexibility.

I fuel my bike on MAP and retard the timing a little as the boost climbs.

The neat thing about an aftermarket ECU is that I now have 2 outputs that can be programmed for stuff like shift lights, nitrous control, extra injectors, sprayers ect.ect.
There's also an option for programmable RPM hold for launch control, nitrous staging and the like.

The best feature is that at a predetermined boost level the oversize injectors will go to 100% duty and flood out the engine in case of overboost, protecting and cooling off valves and piston heads.

That's just the way I have it, not necessarily the best but it works for me.

There's heaps more experienced guys here than me!

All the best with your project.

Cheers
Ross

Back