idle too low?

kkattan

Donating Member
Registered
Hello, my bike is idling around 900 to 950 rpm (even after long warm up) .. doesnt die but sounds like its about to cut off.

i look for the idle adjustment as diagrammed in the busa manual but i must be blind, i could not find it anywhere close to the oil fill plug?

do i need to increase idle? if so how?
thanks.

Mine was hidden under the tank, not where it was supposed to be. Lift your tank and you'll be able to trace it from the throttle bodies. It's on the throttle side. Hope this helps.

Remove the seat. Take out the two bolts on the front of the fuel tank. Lift the tank and look on the right side of the bike next to the frame and you'll see the throttle control. There is a screw on the throttle stop. To locate this screw, twist the throttle, look for the screw that stops the throttle on the return. You should be able to turn the idle screw with your fingers, if not, use a short phillips head screw driver. Turn the screw clockwise to increase the idle. Make sure your scooter is hot when you do the adjustment. I like my idle up around 1,100 turns.

Hope this helps.

1100 - 1200, and when the guys at the Suzuki shop reset mine, they simply pulled the throttle side fairing away from the frame a bit and could reach the adjustment with a long screwdriver.

I haven't ever bothered to see exactly where it is, but the guy didn't have to take anything off when he adjusted it...
smile.gif

I adjust mine through the small gap between the fairing and tank with a long but thin flathead screwdriver. No need to take anything apart. If you leave it idling that low the oil light may flicker if the bike gets hot.

1100 - 1200, and when the guys at the Suzuki shop reset mine, they simply pulled the throttle side fairing away from the frame a bit and could reach the adjustment with a long screwdriver.

I haven't ever bothered to see exactly where it is, but the guy didn't have to take anything off when he adjusted it...
smile.gif
Yes that is exactly correct. Some of the old models 99-2000 have a hand turning screw that is in the open.

smile.gif
Yes that is exactly correct. Some of the old models 99-2000 have a hand turning screw that is in the open.
Tell me what I won Johnny!
tounge.gif

laugh.gif

smile.gif
She got to it first...anywho, my dealership set it up like this because they said it would keep the engine temp down more. I since then changed it to around 1100.

1100-1200 Raise your tank to adjust it....now that you know where it is you can use a long thin screw driver.

Thanks everybody, Tufbusa excellent discription...

one other problem,.. today for the first time.. shut off three times while it was warm.. also backfired just before dying.. usually when i am coming to a stop with the clutch in...

i just did an oil change and filter yesterday, no leaks, but i switched to synethic blend.. on other thought if it is not the low rpm (still around 900 rpm)... i never through stabil in during the winter.. three winters now... should i run some fuel injector cleaner through??

thanks for any advice... i am going to lift the tank soon.

What everyone said about the Idle adjustment is correct I just wanted to give you a heads up on another possible issue. When I bought my 03 brand new even after adjustment my idle would after 50-100 miles drop back down to 900 rpms. I did this about 4 times and same thing everytime. Once I installed a power commander it has not went out of the 1000 rpm range one time. It seems to have solved it. If you experience this also just thought I'd let ya know it seemed to help mine.

Back