Adjusting idle?

yeti

Registered
My bike idles way to low. Sometimes when I pull the clutch in while riding it will die. How do I adjust the idle up?

Use the search feature. There are plenty of topics on how to do this
beerchug.gif

Under the tank on the right side (rear looking forward) there is a gold colored screw near the pulley. It is very simple to adjust, the hardest part will be lifting the tank to do it the first time... if you have a long screwdriver, you can squeeze between the fairings, but you sort of need to know where you are pointing the tool, so it is a good idea to lift the tank and snoop around in there once...
I keep my idle adjusted to 1150 - 1200.. clockwise should increase your idle, CCW decreases. I recommend that after you make an adjustment that seems good, blip the throttle and see where she settles back down on her own - then make more adjustments as required.

Hope that helps,
MCM

thumb_up.gif
you can even go 1300 if so desire
cool.gif

edit: if your bike is old enough it might be by your clutch cover and can be adj. from the outside I think it was 03' when it switched to the throttle bodies
rock.gif

You might want to put a drop of thread lock (Lock tight) on it. Mine would back off from time to time.
cool.gif

Under the tank on the right side (rear looking forward) there is a gold colored screw near the pulley.  It is very simple to adjust, the hardest part will be lifting the tank to do it the first time... if you have a long screwdriver, you can squeeze between the fairings, but you sort of need to know where you are pointing the tool, so it is a good idea to lift the tank and snoop around in there once...
I keep my idle adjusted to 1150 - 1200.. clockwise should increase your idle, CCW decreases.  I recommend that after you make an adjustment that seems good, blip the throttle and see where she settles back down on her own - then make more adjustments as required.

Hope that helps,
MCM
Just to add what MC stated, it only takes a couple of minutes to do, less if you get a quick release pin kit. Or, I think there was someone on the board that sold an extension that would put the adjuster outside of the frame. I always pull the seat and lift the tank, you should have prop rod in your tool kit.
cool.gif

Under the tank on the right side (rear looking forward) there is a gold colored screw near the pulley.  It is very simple to adjust, the hardest part will be lifting the tank to do it the first time... if you have a long screwdriver, you can squeeze between the fairings, but you sort of need to know where you are pointing the tool, so it is a good idea to lift the tank and snoop around in there once...
I keep my idle adjusted to 1150 - 1200.. clockwise should increase your idle, CCW decreases.  I recommend that after you make an adjustment that seems good, blip the throttle and see where she settles back down on her own - then make more adjustments as required.

Hope that helps,
MCM
You know what's funny Shawn? I got tired of always adjusting mine, so I did the early model screw mod, and now it stays put.
crazy.gif

Hope that helps,
MCM
You know what's funny Shawn? I got tired of always adjusting mine, so I did the early model screw mod, and now it stays put.  
crazy.gif
i've noticed the same thing, it never moves now...oh well, it is still worth it when i'm traveling...being able to tweak it on the fly is very nice

Under the tank on the right side (rear looking forward) there is a gold colored screw near the pulley. It is very simple to adjust, the hardest part will be lifting the tank to do it the first time... if you have a long screwdriver, you can squeeze between the fairings, but you sort of need to know where you are pointing the tool, so it is a good idea to lift the tank and snoop around in there once...
I keep my idle adjusted to 1150 - 1200.. clockwise should increase your idle, CCW decreases. I recommend that after you make an adjustment that seems good, blip the throttle and see where she settles back down on her own - then make more adjustments as required.

Hope that helps,
MCM
Just to add what MC stated, it only takes a couple of minutes to do, less if you get a quick release pin kit. Or, I think there was someone on the board that sold an extension that would put the adjuster outside of the frame. I always pull the seat and lift the tank, you should have prop rod in your tool kit.
cool.gif
And one other thing, even though it's obvious ... do it when the bike is at operating temperature.

Back