I wanna buy an ATV

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Hey gang, I am still kinda kickin around gettin an atv I am lookin for a slightly used ( they are all over Craigs list & ATVtrader.com )

Any way all I want is a sportsman or farm type to cruise around the hills and trails. Not interested in a GO FAST.
All my need fo speed is fulfilled on the busie.

So any suggestions, brands to avoid? thanx - Kento
all_coholic.gif

06-07 yamaha wolverine 450 4x4 is a good one. its a sport / utility. i love mine
beerchug.gif
bowdown.gif
super.gif

Always liked the Yami's. The Polaris 6x6 is awesome though. Goes thru anything. Plows snow like you wouldn't believe. Has a dump bed on the back.
super.gif

I had a 2005 Suzuki KingQuad 700cc fuel injected 2wd, 4X4 all the bells. Could not kill it and I tried even sunk it in a river, rolled it down a rocky hill and didnt break anything.

I got a like new 2005 kfx 400 up here for $4500,used to pull drag bike back from end of track...has like 4 year warranty with it too.

Don't want to go fast...

Too bad.

Simple get around quad but not very utility nor is it 4x4 is a Yamaha Warrior and they go for reasonble cheap money. 350cc's electric start and reverse.

For go fast I loved my 1987 SUZUKI LT500R "Quadzilla", she had 500cc 2 stroke a stage 3 kit and a pipe. Talk about stoooooopid fast. That thing would outrun damn near anything but a sprotbike on the pavement. I sold it in 2000 for $5000 to buy some lawn equipment.

I have a 1999 Kawasaki Prairie 300. Only problem I ever had was a bad spark plug and a muffler hanger that wont stay together.

Still runs like a champ.

(Over_Easy @ Feb. 09 2007,02:04)
(newmill @ Feb. 08 2007,22:49)
(Black Bird Killer @ Feb. 08 2007,21:28) Plows snow like you wouldn't believe.
laugh.gif
What's this snow he speaks of?
laugh.gif
Go ahead, pour salt in the wound.  BASTIDS
guns.gif

guns.gif

Guess for you Cali boys I should have said "Cleans up a mudslide like you wouldn't believe"
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

guns.gif

laugh.gif

hows this  
biggrin.gif
 hehehe....

DSC00876.jpg

sorry couldn't help it. Came to mind when i saw the post.  
tounge.gif

and with black bird killer, its freakin freezing here in MI. its been single digits here all week.  
wow.gif

Go with a Polaris Sportsman 500 or so.

4 X 4.

Whinch.

Have a 99 500 and only thing it has needed in 1000's of hours of use besides routine maintaince, has been a new clutch.

Got some Honda's and Suzuki's too, but the Polaris is by far my favorite.

(Kento-Moto @ Feb. 08 2007,18:00) Hey gang, I am still kinda kickin around gettin an atv I am lookin for a slightly used ( they are all over Craigs list & ATVtrader.com )

Any way all I want is a sportsman or farm type to cruise around the hills and trails. Not interested in a GO FAST.
All my need fo speed is fulfilled on the busie.

So any suggestions, brands to avoid?  thanx - Kento    
all_coholic.gif
If all your going to do is cruise the hills and trails you need a sport quad my friend. Your not going to need a 4x4 and you will get a smoother ride from a sport quad. Be sure it has reverse! If you get in the woods, mud, and snow it's a must have. I rode a lot back in the 90's all over Oroville Bucks Lake area, Mendocino National Forest, Prairie City, ect.. I used mainly Yamaha warriors and banshee's. Warriors worked best in the woods because of the reverse gear but, it was always a little under powered. Last year while recovering from a back injury I thought I may be able to ride some fire roads so I bought a Yamaha 03 LE Raptor 660. Today I still haven't recovered enough to ride so it just sits in my garage. If you would like to see how a Raptor 660 rides I'd be more than happy to bring it to Prairie City. It needs to be ridden because I haven't been able too since I bought it.

660raptor.jpg

It is just my opinion, but Polaris quads suck badly compared to Japanese quads. Their utility quads are very heavy and have poor suspension and brakes. Their reliability is also very questionable, especially their CVT belts when towing or hauling. I have a 2005 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 and a 2002 Yamaha Grizzly 660 4x4, both automatics. My 660 has over 2,000 trouble free miles and the 400 is trouble free, though it's still kind of new. The best bang for the buck in utility quads is by far the Eiger. It is a fullsize quad weighing in at 600lbs. and has a strong air cooled motor. Most magazines say this is the best quad and I can totally agree. I plow lots of snow with it and use it at the sand dunes with no problems. It will go 45mph and handles great. The 4x4 is great with a limited slip front end and the easiest gear selector to use (much better than my Grizzly) Plus you can get an Eiger 400 4x4 Automatic for $5000, much cheaper than the competition.

eiger_grizzly.JPG

When it comes to ATV's, I am a Honda guy all the way. We have 2. My machine is an '02 Rancher with electric shift. I change the oil/filter every 100 hrs, it now has almost 800 hrs on the clock.... and just turned over 5000 miles.
It has never broken. Never let me down. Not once. And I use it hard.

camptrip06121.jpg

i would agree that polaris quad's are heavy and the brakes are not great but other than that I would never stoop to pull something with my quad or push something that was heavy enough to hurt the clutch and/or belt! That is why I have a truck as well to do that work for me. Some people like to use their quad as a small truck but for me the price tag and reliability for 4x4 trail riding and pushing snow was enough with the scrambler. I've got the busa for reliability!!
lurk.gif

(hayabusa99b/w @ Feb. 09 2007,07:41) i would agree that polaris quad's are heavy and the brakes are not great but other than that I would never stoop to pull something with my quad or push something that was heavy enough to hurt the clutch and/or belt! That is why I have a truck as well to do that work for me. Some people like to use their quad as a small truck but for me the price tag and reliability for 4x4 trail riding and pushing snow was enough with the scrambler. I've got the busa for reliability!!
lurk.gif
I spent 4 years working at our local dealership here, we had Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Bombardier.

We took Polaris's in all the time....I was convinced that the only reason someone would own one is because they hadn't tried one of the others....

I would imagine they are better now...but I was certainly not impressed then.

As far as working your quad... mine pulls a harrow for 3 hours every week. It has since it was new. I have a trailer that I pull with it on a regular basis...not a real big one, but when it is full of wood or dirt....it is freakin heavy.

I cannot say enough about these two machines. They are the hardest working outfits on my place.

good to see your getting your money's worth out of your quads as far as work goes, i just don't believe in using the polaris for hardcore everyday grunt work because it is not designed right by polaris to do so, if i needed to do that kinda stuff with a quad i would buy a bigger, better, stronger quad but then again with as many toys as I do have you can't always have the best in every class no matter how hard you try!!
all_coholic.gif

Back