I need a better helmet!

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
For my first helmet, I want something that is ultra light, nicely padded and it HAS to have fog free shield. I breath heavy (I'm 61), and at stop lights I'm always having to crack the visor to get the fog off, even when it's 70 degrees. I want it light so I don't become a bobble head when I go over rough pavement.

For a second helmet, I would like one that has a latch so that the front of the helmet will swivel up. One that I don't have to take off to talk to people or buy gas, or drink some water. On this one, I only care that it is fog free.

I'm thinking $300 bucks. $450 if I just have too. DOT is ok. Ratings better than that are just butter.

Haven't done much of a comparison but I really like my Scorpion EXO700. Vents well, inexpensive and has an absolutely fog free shield. Tour with it extensively and at the most (coldest) the lowest 1/2" right at your chin will retain condensation...but still, no fog. My glasses fog though so on very cold days, like up in Shoshone County where I was born, I use something on them to keep them fog free!

GSX1300R-T (Joe) just bought a G-max Helmet and says it's an awesome helmet for $104. It also received top ratings at one of the magazines he told me. Even though I'm a Shoei guy, I'm going to buy one to try it out.

Heard those flip ups can break off in a crash and really mess you up. No first hand experience though...

like peter just said GMAX. great price and good look'n helmet. I'm sure the price will go up real soon. I'm a KBC fan myself, but I'm gonna give GMAX a try.

I have a question that's on topic. I dropped my helmet and grabbed it before it hit the ground. I ended up gripping it on the neck pads and they slid right out pretty easily. That makes me think the helmet would shoot right off in a crash. It's a KBC helmet, is this normal?

I have a question that's on topic. I dropped my helmet and grabbed it before it hit the ground. I ended up gripping it on the neck pads and they slid right out pretty easily. That makes me think the helmet would shoot right off in a crash. It's a KBC helmet, is this normal?
Umm... that's why there's chin straps on helmets.
whistling.gif

The best helmet is one that fits. None of the high end helmets are heavy and they are all good. Just make sure the helmet fits you nice and snug. A loose fitting helmet will generate 30% more head impact than a helmet that fits snug.

Keep in mind if you buy a $100 helmet that's exactly what you get.

I'd recommend staying away from the flip up front helmets. If you make a face plant on the asphalt there is no cheek pads to support frontal impact and the chin strap can end up doing serious damage to your throat.

However, if a flip up is a must, I have one in my closet (X-Large) that I'd almost give to you as I will never wear it again.

I just got an HJC dragon, from helmet city .com. the seal around the face shield beats any ive had no air leaks in at speed.also the in sides are removable for washing.the shield is super easy to swap out,only takes about ten seconds.as for the no fog the HJC shields are no fog,but dont exspect it to be 100%, it aint. but it does help.My vega was comfy but the shield leaked like crazy and was a real pain to swap. check helmetcity.com good prices and free shipping.

I like my HJC Carbon Vader. Light , airy...but noisy. Dont own any flip up ones.

Carbon_Helmet_001__Small_.jpg

I have both a Shoei RF1000 and a MultiTech

They are not fog free but you can put the right chemicals on them to prevent that.

There is a great balance between weight and noise, the x11 felt lighter but was noisier.

They are in your price range when on sale and seem to be the most comfortable I've owned.

Back