I know, I know..

Its not your imagination. I noticed the same thing last year when I tried lower octane fuels due to cost. Both my 750 and the Vmax liked lower octane fuel. I listened for pinging, but didn't hear any.

I'm doing a lot of research right now on fuel milage on all of my vehicles on how to squeez the most out of a gallon of fuel. I will be trying some fuel treatments, oil treatments, etc. This research is geared toward highway cruising though. Stop and go traffic is too unpredictable when it comes to milage.

Ps:I have a buddy that races an F4I and runs 87 racing.

My motor has been modded over to steam so I don’t have to worry about it, but if I had to use gas it would be 87 like someone said above the little man who made it knows best
wink.gif

On a stock bike 87 usually runs the best. On a modded bike, you need to run the fuel the bike is tuned for. Running 87 on mine with mods in the sig. 1397 coming in the fall, it will be tuned for 91.

Don

(Saxoplay @ May 28 2007,13:35) For years, I've been running premium 91 octane in all of my vehicles, including the busa with no complaints.  However, with the recent rise in gas prices and also some of the threads I've read through about what everyone runs online, I decided to give 87 a try.  I don't know if it's just my imagination or if I'm just tryng to convince myself because it's cheaper but, I really think that the busa runs noticably better on it!  It idles smoother, accelerates better.  Does this make sense to anyone?  Is this possible?  I'm on my 4th tank now and I don't think I'm ever going back to premium!  
super.gif

Sorry to bring this subject up yet again but, I just jazzed that I can spend less on gas and my bike seems to run better to booot!
smile.gif
crazy.gif
Dude...we've been trying to tell ya for years...Busa is TUNED for 87
wink.gif

The bike runs better on it AND it costs less
muscle.gif

(dadofthree @ May 29 2007,18:26)
(Saxoplay @ May 29 2007,21:24) Well, I'm a believer now....87 from now on!
ices_rofl.gif
Yeah....I'm "almost" laughing myself thinking about all the money I've waisted over the past year and a half...probably adds up to a nice mod for the bike for sure!

Actually...I just figured it out...I've got 11493 on the odometer....I've averaged roughly 35.7mpg the whole time....so, I've used about 322 gallons.....91 is usually 20 cents more than 87....so, I've waisted about $64. What kind of mod could I have done with that I wonder? hmmm...

Does it not say on the stock warning sticker on the tank to always run Premium Unleaded??

I always use premium.. Kinda expensive and gas mileage isnt so great but I believe Premium is what is 'supposed' to go in??

(06limited1st @ May 30 2007,02:26) Does it not say on the stock warning sticker on the tank to always run Premium Unleaded??

I always use premium.. Kinda expensive and gas mileage isnt so great but I believe Premium is what is 'supposed' to go in??
That sticker is on the 1000.

Now on a side-note, the owners' manual says minimum ... *ahem* ... I don't think 'ya heard me ... MINIMUM 87 octane. That means the lowest octane gas one can use and not do harm to the busa is 87 octane. It doesn't say "best" or "recommended" 87 octane. It says MINIMUM. In other words, 87 octane is good enough.

We all know regular oil is "good enough", yet still some of us use synthetic. We all know the stock brake lines are "good enough", but some of us switch to steel-braided lines. We all know the stock Bridgestone tires are "good enough", but once they go out few of us choose to use that brand ever again. The headlights are "good enough" but some of us upgrade to HID.

I can come up with ... oh, I don't know ... about 300
biggrin.gif
things that are "good enough" on the busa but we choose to use an upgraded version of it/them. I'll leave it at that.

As I said before, if you're happy running 87, 89, 91, or 93 octane ... then by all means continue to do so. All I'm saying is, in my train of thought, "minimum" seldomly means "best".

BTW, I tried the same thing with my Honda 750 Shadow and went to 87...bad move!! Man, it sure runs like crap (anyone have any ideas why that might be?)...I'll be going back to premium. Still sticking with 87 on the busa though!

Back