I can't put my gas cap back together

krsimulis

Registered
I took my gas cap apart awhile back, and I thought I was smart taking pictures of it then. But there was this tiny spring and ball that came off and I didn't see how it came off. I thought I figured it out, the spring and ball help keep the little piece that covers the key hole down. But when I put it back on which I think is the right way, I can't open it, so I guess I did it wrong. The other thing is the it might be bent.

Let me try and explain this in a long non-understandable explanation. I think the little ball sits partly in the flapper, and the spring holds it in. This kind of locks it down and lets the ball move backward or inwards to let the flap open. My problem is the ball won't slide out of the little hole in the flapper. I think I just have it all wrong, I could have lost something for all I know, but I don't think so. Check out the picture, it might make some more sense.

If you know where that ball and spring goes, or another way to make this flapper stay down, oh please let me know.
thanks,
Kenny
281-451-1529

Last edited by a moderator:
The spring goes first then the ball if i remeber correctly do them everytime i polish one...

He got it back together, GC, but I'm sure he would appreciate the help.

Back