I can't be trusted home alone with Internet.....

methodicreign

Registered
it's been a while since I built an engine, any engine for that matter. like an idiot I decided it would be a fun winter project and should look around and see what I can see. that was my first mistake. my second mistake was made here, when I clicked on the APE link, and was instantly transported to a fuggin candy store of parts and shiney things beyond my dreams. finally my biggest mistake was not shutting my laptop and walking away calmly like any normal person would do, but I'm not normal.... I ride a factory rocket that scares the living crap outta normal people, screw normal....

After about 20 minutes of lookin around in what can only be described as a dream like state with just a little dribble I came to 1 conclusion. That being I have to sell everything I have of value and buy engine parts. any advice on breaking the news to the lady? I was thinking of telling her I had terminal cancer or something so when I told her the truth it wouldn't seem so bad, but she might kill me for that. so if anyone out there needs a kidney, piece of a healthy liver(I don't drink) or maybe a lung, I hear they grow back over time and lets face it I'm pretty lazy, drop me a line and we will see what we can work out.
:banghead:

Gonna need a new heart here soon if I don't stop running my Busa to redline in gear 1, 2, and 3. When the need arises I will give you a shout.

some gamble, some use drugs, some like expensive vacations...... I spend money on my Busa. sure, it might not be considered an investment but it sure puts a smile on my face.:laugh:

Gonna need a new heart here soon if I don't stop running my Busa to redline in gear 1, 2, and 3. When the need arises I will give you a shout.

You'll be alright, I've been running the piss out of mine for many years and many many miles. Apparently you can't beat these things to death :laugh:

See I just try to sneak parts in the house so no explanation would be needed. And if she asks, I usually say, " this isn't new, I had it here a while babe just haven't gotten around took putting it on the bike yet so I left it in the box"

Ask me how many times that worked:laugh:

See I just try to sneak parts in the house so no explanation would be needed. And if she asks, I usually say, " this isn't new, I had it here a while babe just haven't gotten around took putting it on the bike yet so I left it in the box"

Ask me how many times that worked:laugh:
thats some funny chit. yea just take outta bag throw some dust on it and thro back in box and im sure it will pass the test

thats some funny chit. yea just take outta bag throw some dust on it and thro back in box and im sure it will pass the test

The trick is you got to leave it in the garage or work shop (if you got one) so she won't see it. And I use some old oil or tranny fluid on the box to make it look aged appropriately.

Only advice I can give you is if you are doing the engine build get information from some other source than APE. They sell parts (good quality parts too) and they sound like they know what they are talking about when you ask for advice on the build....they don't know chit! I should have known better so it is my fault for taking their advise and following their installation instructions, I should have gotten more information from other sources. Their advise on their 1441 kit ended up costing me an extra $1000 and a complete re-tear down of the bottom end to take out the silicon they told me to use. Not mad about it because its all fixed and my bike runs great, but its very irritating seeing how misleading their website is.

Biggest thing to remember they sell parts, they don't build engines (if they did I wouldn't trust it)

good advice, I will definitely be asking questions. I am good with automotive engines and I assume some of the same principles apply in the bike world but admittedly I am not a bike mechanic.

good advice, I will definitely be asking questions. I am good with automotive engines and I assume some of the same principles apply in the bike world but admittedly I am not a bike mechanic.

That's what I thought too when I went into my build. I have built countless engines since I was 12 yrs old. The basics are the same but don't use silicone, go get the yamabond at most any bike store. Also if you use APE timing sprockets the directions are very plain in stating they have marks to follow and line up. They do not have any marks at all you will have to degree the cams in <---this is what cost me the most extra money. When you ask them about it they tell you to find someone else to build your engine. The builder who I had degree in the cams says he has built hundreds of busa engines and drag bikes and never needed the adjustable timing sprockets and I would have been better off without them. They are just a gimic and a waste of money.

it was actually pretty easy. I told her about the site and all the fun stuff I wanna buy and build, she understood my passion and supported me on the idea. Ben she saw the price tags and kind of changed her tune a bit. I reminded her of the price of the diamonds she wears and that shut her up. now to fund raise ???

My problem is my youngest gets the packages and then puts them in his room and waits till I come home and says in front of his mom.. "Hey Dad you got a package".. Yes son you can have more xbox time...

Back