Hugger

I started with a hugger/chainguard that came with my TopGun undertail, but decide I wanted to go another route. Had to go with a Pyramid hugger and got a chrome chainguard from busafreak here on the board. I didn't think it out very well in the beginning.

IT depends. I have a NWS hugger. Things to consider other than chain guard when getting your hugger.

1. type of mount, do you need to make your own holes? (jerry riggn)

2. Do you have to paint it yourself? difference if prepainted?

3. The part over the tire, square or rounded or pointed? look you need to consider.

4. Does it SIT ON THE SWINGARM (upperpart) or does it mount below the swingarm. Thus preventing crap from getting upinto the shock area. Alot of them sit ontop of the swing arm and have the R1 look and is more a fender then a hugger. Doesnt do anything to keep the crap out of the guts area. The NWS has a tight fit and extends below the swing arm. Keeps it all clean.

5. How close to the tire will it be. Too high up or further away from the tire = more flinging crap to clean off your undertail. Also looks cheesy. Just as a measure the NWS is almost less than a #2 pencil thickness away from the rubber. (tight) makes tire look beefier too. IMO.

6. Whats it made of ABS plastic which gives a little more and is durable, or fiberglass resin which pretty much cracks under duress. Or Carbonfiber?

7. The chain guard is kinda last. Even if it comes with an attached chain guard and is ABS plastic and NOT painted, you can cut it off, sand a little, prime, paint and use your own and get the best of both worlds. Might pay a little more due to painting but you get what you want.

All worthless opinion but those are the things I consdered before I decided. Ended up with an attached chain guard and I like it.

JD

post-6-88500-hugger2.gif

post-6-88551-huggerday.gif

IT depends.  I have a NWS hugger.  Things to consider other than chain guard when getting your hugger.

1. type of mount, do you need to make your own holes? (jerry riggn)

2. Do you have to paint it yourself? difference if prepainted?

3. The part over the tire, square or rounded or pointed? look you need to consider.  

4. Does it SIT ON THE SWINGARM (upperpart) or does it mount below the swingarm.  Thus preventing crap from getting upinto the shock area.  Alot of them sit ontop of the swing arm and have the R1 look and is more a fender then a hugger.  Doesnt do anything to keep the crap out of the guts area.  The NWS has a tight fit and extends below the swing arm.  Keeps it all clean.

5.  How close to the tire will it be.  Too high up or further away from the tire = more flinging crap to clean off your undertail.  Also looks cheesy.  Just as a measure the NWS is almost less than a #2 pencil thickness away from the rubber. (tight) makes tire look beefier too. IMO.

6.  Whats it made of ABS plastic which gives a little more and is durable, or fiberglass resin which pretty much cracks under duress.  Or Carbonfiber?

7.  The chain guard is kinda last.  Even if it comes with an attached chain guard and is ABS plastic and NOT painted, you can cut it off, sand a little, prime, paint and use your own and get the best of both worlds.  Might pay a little more due to painting but you get what you want.

All worthless opinion but those are the things I consdered before I decided.  Ended up with an attached chain guard and I like it.

JD

post-6-88500-hugger2.gif

post-6-88551-huggerday.gif
Thanks Icemann that did help. I didn't relise that they where that technical. You said yours is a NSW. WHO is NSW
rock.gif
 ( sorry) How does yours mount?
Do you have ther web sight or  # ?

<!--EDIT|1badasbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1108871214 -->

Yes, Who and where...do they offer color matched pre-paint option? what are the downfalls to a hugger? Inquiring minds want to know!
biggrin.gif

<a href="http://www.n-w-s.com">NWS site<a>

<!--EDIT|BigBSBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1108895956 -->

<a href="http://www.n-w-s.com" target="_blank">
Thanks for the link. They are in England  
wow.gif
 I thought it was at least going to be in the US. How much are the huggers? I'll send them an email and get a total.
           Thanks Again
I've been sending emails back and forth with NWS and  they are saying after the exchange rate  the hugger will be around $190.  
wow.gif
  Is this a normal price for a good hugger and fender combo ? It will be black which is there cheepest. Then I will have to get it painted too. It looks nice and tight to the fender and seems like there wouldn't be any problems for fit and finish.  ANY THOUGHT ?  Or any other recommendations ?

http/....om]http</a>

<!--EDIT|1badasbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1109723061 -->

wow.gif

there are some NWS distributors in the states. Ill see what I can dig up. The mounting of the NWS...

On the left side the screws line up and use the same holes as the chain guard. On the right side there is a small bracket system that mounts to the threaded holes that a rear spool would mount to on the swingarm. Perfect fit. Keeps the under side and shock area very very clean.

Almost all of them come painted or ready for paint. Average price for hugger is $150-$250. FYI!.

JD

there are some NWS distributors in the states.  Ill see what I can dig up.  The mounting of the NWS...

On the left side the screws line up and use the same holes as the chain guard.  On the right side there is a small bracket system that mounts to the threaded holes that a rear spool would mount to on the swingarm.  Perfect fit.  Keeps the under side and shock area very very clean.

Almost all of them come painted or ready for paint.  Average price for hugger is $150-$250.  FYI!.

JD
Thanks ICEMANN, I would appriciate it if you could find a link or # to a NWS in the states. There product looks great. I am planning on getting one and if I can do it without going to Europe would be great.

http://www.puresynthetics.com

IF not get ahold of one of the members like hogslayer or POOH. Their always going to Europe. I think one of them is a pilot. Maybe on a future trip they can get it for you. They were the ones that used to get the europe version of the handlebar switch on the right sides. ALso if you know anyone in the military over there they can mail it to you APO and cut the shipping to normal.

JD

Back