HTC Evo 4G Owners

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So Ive had my Evo for a little over a week now and been playing with it. Learned that there is alot you can do by rooting the phone. Rooting is basically giving you complete administrator privileges or "superuser" privileges to install different apps and customize your phone. There is a small risk of hurting the phone but only reported errors are with phones that had preexisting problems before installing it and those problems were minimal.

So anyways I went to unrevoked.com and used there simple root software that is super easy to use and does it automatically. It was done in 5 minutes.

Now with my phone rooted I can:

- Have wifi tethering (Create a wireless signal that computers can connect to that Sprint wants to charge 30 bucks a month for)

- Install custom interfaces on my phone. I chose the Evio 2 Rom in pictures below.

- All sorts of different things if you like playing with electronics. Download different applications like ones to overclock the cpu or conserve battery life. I changed my startup screen (pictures below).

Just sharing what I've found :thumbsup: Theres alot more to do this is just what Ive found out what to do in 3 days :thumbsup:

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_5.png

screenshot_6.png

Original look. Without the nice notification icons and Sense is also altered on the phone. I couldnt take screen shots when the phone was rooted :laugh:

DSC08057.jpg

Did you have Froyo when you did this?

My reluctance is hearing all the stories about bricking your phone when an update comes out.

Yes I have froyo. I have heard it works fine with updates. Won't know til the next one comes out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you have Froyo when you did this?

My reluctance is hearing all the stories about bricking your phone when an update comes out.

When the updates come you would just undo the root for the update. If you run a rom however you ROM would just update and you wouldnt have to worry about updates messing with your phone. As far as the phone bricking if you did an update while rooted I dont believe it will. Cant find anything where you cant do over the air updates while rooted. My ROM updates with every new build that comes out so its easy to update it all

Back