How to "undress" a Busa?

JohnDo

Registered
Everyone who has to remove the windsheld, access the gauge or do theirr own oil change for the first time, is confronted with having to "undress" the Busa for the first time.

Of course there are many visible nuts, screws and revets....

Can anyone give a quick (or not quick) explaination as to how to "undress" the Busa without making beginners errors. Maybe there is a manual explaining this process...

Thanks

Man, I don't even wanna tell you bout the first time I undressed mine, I mean her clothes came of like a 20 year old on gin, NOPE better stop there this may get outta hand.
The only thing that I found wierd was the plastic cover piece
between the tank and the side fairing.
It comes of with just a semi firm pull after taking the screws out.
I thought I must be missing a screw around there or sumthin
but, just a little yank and it was out.
Jees: undressing, 20 year old, screw, yank, man I gotta
go talk to ya later!!!

'nother Jerzee rider in da House!

Hey John,
It's actually pretty easy and there are only a few things you need to be aware of depending on which part of the bike you are "undressing"
Basic rules tho...
1) Don't try and lift the tank with the driver seat on.
2) Don't forget the black plastic plate under the nose is attached to the side fairings as well (just the last rivet)
3) When removing the side fairings remember that the top fairing (black plastic piece) is attached (bolted).
4) When removing side fairings don't forget to undo the bellypan bolt! But you don't ned to remove the bellypan.
5) When you are putting all this back together the place where the fairings meet underneath has to be seated correctly, there are little "tabs" that have to mesh.
6) When removing the rear cowling..remember to unhook the trunk lock cable
7) Even more important than 6. When putting the rear cowl back on remember to REHOOK the trunk lock cable.
8) The nose piece is held on by the mirror bolts and two little rubber "push-in thingys". When reinstalling make sure the rubber things go in all the way...else the nose will "sag" and parts wont fit right.
9) Our bikes are full of "Jesus" parts (Jesus, where did that thing go? <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:purple'>Credit to jwcfbd</span></span>) ... have spares handy if you can.

I'll add two tips (thanks to The ICEMANN for telling them to me).

1. When you're putting the side panels back on, it's a good idea to put some sort of tape along the sides of the nose fairing (the three diagonal hex screws). When you're trying to line up the tabs on the side panels, it's very easy to scratch the finish.

2. When removing the side panels leave the big allen screw (the falcon's "eye") for last. When putting the side panels on, put it on first (sorta loose).

Good luck, and go slow! If you need to call me for some help, I can be reached at 919-363-8308 (Alan).

I'll add two tips (thanks to The ICEMANN for telling them to me).  

1. When you're putting the side panels back on, it's a good idea to put some sort of tape along the sides of the nose fairing (the three diagonal hex screws).  When you're trying to line up the tabs on the side panels, it's very easy to scratch the finish.

2. When removing the side panels leave the big allen screw (the falcon's "eye") for last.  When putting the side panels on, put it on first (sorta loose).

Good luck, and go slow!  If you need to call me for some help, I can be reached at 919-363-8308 (Alan).
Good call juggler, or grab a friend to hold the panel so's
not to be sratchin

9) Our bikes are full of "Jesus" parts (Jesus, where did that thing go? <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:purple'>Credit to jwcfbd</span></span>) ... have spares handy if you can.
It's nice to be remembered that was a while ago. Thanks but it's not mine I heard it somewhere else.

Anyway when you goto put the fairings back on watch the metal clips when you goto slid them under the upper fairing. They will put a nice scratch in the paint. I have a small one where it got a away from me.

Back