How to maintain perspective in light of current fiscal meltdown

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
I for many years refused to pack away untold amounts of money for retirement.. I instead enjoyed the things in life I wanted to do or that I "thought I wanted" to do.. I had felt kind of worried about that until yesterday..

I flew planes, raced cars, bikes, boats and anything else with a motor. I have licenses in a number of disciplines including flying, diving, skydiving, Pro-Gas drag hydro, drag racing and a few organizational things..

I have been very lucky to go almost 300mph on the ground and almost 200 on the water.. never been seriously hurt in a crash (burned pretty bad one time) and managed to fly to just about every air strip in the western USA and many a weekend deep sea fishing out of Don Johnsons resort "El Serinidad" in Mexico. I have lived in LA, SanDiego, Denver, Phx, Scottsdale and a crap load of other towns and burgs... all had a unique quality to them.. My 3 ex wives would gladly attest to my ADD condition to life I suppose.. :rofl:

I decided to give up some income and be a truck driver (something that always appealed to me) and have set foot in every state of the union.. (except Alaska... my only hold out)..

I have traveled all over Canada, Mexico and even a short trip to Germany and a run down the Autobahn.. I have half a dozen career skills and have throughout abused my body during my somewhat younger years..

A few years ago I started to feel remiss about "retirement" planning and started socking away money... In the last year I (as well as most everyone else) has lost upwards of 60% of that money due to the crooks running the financial system..

I was with a client yesterday that spent his entire life as a bookkeeper , minding his finances like any good bookkeeper would do.. He saved his entire life to enjoy his later years and now that is gone... he is now more concerned with just surviving than going out and having a blast... (maybe too old for that anyway)..

Guess in short.. maybe living for the day was not so bad an idea at this point.. I put in for some bailout money however... might need a new bike some day... :)

is it spring yet? and what "Bucket list" activity are you still holding out on??

Guess in short.. maybe living for the day was not so bad an idea at this point..

I am the same as you.
Lived for the day.
I didn't loose anything so far...nothing to loose.
I told all my fellow workers (20 years ago) that the company pension plan wouldn't be there for us and neither would the government plans.
The company went from 12,000 employees to 2,000 over the last 15 years, and overall I was right. I got out 14 years ago.
I would rather have done it my way and suffer now (I'll try not to but...) than to have saved it, and had it stolen.

Wise words, Thanks Mr. Bogus!

Randy, I always knew you were a worldly man. I live life for the moment and still try to plan for the future. I save what I can and do what I want within reason. My kids have everything they need, and most of what they want. My two ex wives get paid gobs of cash every month and I am still ok. Juli is wonderful and I could not ask for a better wife or partner in this life.
A good friend of mine has saved all his life, never did anything extravegant, because he wanted to travel when he retired. Now is wife is sick and cant travel, and he still hasnt retired, it just wont happen. I dont want to be that way, I dont want to look back in 20 years and wonder why I didnt go to a bash. Why didnt I buy that bike and have fun?
Life is too short, be responsible and enjoy what you have. Love those in your life like there is no tomorrow, you never know.

Randy, I always knew you were a worldly man. I live life for the moment and still try to plan for the future. I save what I can and do what I want within reason. My kids have everything they need, and most of what they want. My two ex wives get paid gobs of cash every month and I am still ok. Juli is wonderful and I could not ask for a better wife or partner in this life.
A good friend of mine has saved all his life, never did anything extravegant, because he wanted to travel when he retired. Now is wife is sick and cant travel, and he still hasnt retired, it just wont happen. I dont want to be that way, I dont want to look back in 20 years and wonder why I didnt go to a bash. Why didnt I buy that bike and have fun?
Life is too short, be responsible and enjoy what you have. Love those in your life like there is no tomorrow, you never know.
James you have always struck me as a guy with a real balance for life... you certainly are not lacking in any experiences.. You have a great life and it appears to me, that even with the few hardships, you have a pretty golden life going... :bowdown: (betting Juli has something to do with that :))

James you have always struck me as a guy with a real balance for life... you certainly are not lacking in any experiences.. You have a great life and it appears to me, that even with the few hardships, you have a pretty golden life going... :bowdown: (betting Juli has something to do with that :))

Thanks brother! :beerchug:

I'm glad I didn't listen to my Grandma right now. I get what I feel like, and can afford, when I want it. I can pay off my bills if I really need to. I have several things I can give up if the need arises. I'm glad I got the toys before my investments tanked.

Looks like you've pretty much done it all,
I did not exactly live for the moment but when I want to do something I usually get it done and have not one regret to this day. My kids are not spoiled just a little gamy and are good kids in spite of me not because of me:laugh:.
I can only offer you one piece of advice - GET TO ALASKA MAN!
From your description I think you would absolutely love it.
Thanks for putting things in prospective.
Bubba

Well said,...I have never understood the whole 'retirement thing',work your way to it, only to question the road taken once there.The future is never certain,much less predictable.Timing is one of many unknown variables that suprise us.
Only good to come from this crisis is that maybe the people(soul-less $@#$ers)behind the curtain will no longer be able to play their mind games with the rest of us.Lessons to be learned. As someone else said balance is a good thing, along with moderation.
I vote- live for today. Ride as much as you can,while you can! Or do what ever it is that you do to make you more spiritually connected,anchored.:thumbsup:

B - Very well said my friend. I would rather leave life with lots of good stories and no stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good philosophy!!! I figure if you can't take it with you it's expendable and you should enjoy what you can and be a joy to others.

:beerchug:

Hey Randy;

You have definitely lived, and it is fun to know people like you. And to have them as friends and even to have them as family. I have had a year to myself and have spent most of it trying to find out who I was again. I lost myself in a relationship that lasted 3 years to long. I have never been married, but have had 2 serious long term relationships. The first one cheated on me. Both took a lot out of me! But, what I failed to realize was how much I really did do, and what I have gained and enjoyed along the way. As my old man and few friends said to me!! It was time to slow down and smell the roses and to enjoy what I have done with my life. I have saved some money and put some money into saving. Used it to buy my house. I own all my rides currently. I have no real big debt. I do due without, but put it toward other things that make me happier. So at the young age of 34, I have lived a different life then most. I have raced cars and motorcycles. Many seasons on a boat in the summer water skiing, knee boarding, tubing, and more. I have had a successful career as a Toyota master technician for 8 of my 13 years with them. I currently have a job with the U.S. Postal which I have been with for the last 6 years. I have many skills thanks to my trade. I can paint weld, design, fabricate, repair, and run a shop. I have built many conversion cars and even one of my own. I have inspired some of my friends to be more then who they thought they were. Was there for them when the time came. But all in all, I try to live each day a little more then I use too, because you never know if you will be around tomorrow to enjoy. Everything you have can be taken away by a freak storm, fire, or who knows. So with a little planning and a little saving, and more playing, I have had a happoer life!

I have done most of the things that I wanted to do in life. Owned sports cars, boats, motorcycles of all types, travelled to Hawaii twice. I tried to balance my life and save for the things I wanted. I should have done more and saved less. These crooks in Washington and Wallstreet have financially destroyed my well thought out plans for retirement at age 55 to "who knows when". I was working 25-30 hours per week and managing quite well, with my savings and investments. Now I work 6 days per week and will never see the benefits of the hard work I did for years. Not an uncommon story I Know. These weasels in Washinton should be "Tarred and Feathered ". I am greatful for what I have, and am hopeful that sanity in our country will return. My friends here and family help to keep this all in perspective. God bless those less fortunate than me. Good thread Randy ! :beerchug:

IMG_0127 (Large).jpg

I've been blessed with being able to do the things I want and still tuck some away for the future. The only thing on my "bucket list" is to join the 200 mph club on 2 wheels.

Back