How to disassemble stock mirrors?

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
I'm thinkin of tryin a mirror mod idea but how do ya disassemble the mirror & get the glass off without bustin it?
Posted via Mobile Device

I am not positive, but if I remember correctly you do it in the oven. PusherCG would be the person to PM for that info.

Yep, you got to heat it up and the pusher is the man...

I'm not replacing the glass, i'm gonna be tryin a mod out
Posted via Mobile Device

OK, What is the mirror mod????

you take the glass out of the mirror, sandblast a design on the back of it, mount a LED inside the housing, put the mirror back together, and reinstall it with the LED attached to the turn signal wires...turns out like this :beerchug:

IMG_1989 (Large).jpg

That is Trick dude !
one quick sentence for a lot of work but it looks really nice

When you get yours done let me know how much your gonna charge and I want mine in blue ! :laugh:

no, thats not what i'ma do......have to wait till its not 10-20 degrees outside cuz it'll involve some molding & 'glassin
Posted via Mobile Device

no, thats not what i'ma do......have to wait till its not 10-20 degrees outside cuz it'll involve some molding & 'glassin
Posted via Mobile Device

If you have some work lamps, you can do it in the cold. After you're done applying the resin put the lamps close to the glass. They put off TONS of heat and will heat it enough to harden the resin. I built my sub boxes in the winter time cause summer was TOO hot and didn't give me enough work time. It worked like a champ. I left mine on for about an hour or so (overkill, but it worked). That way, once the reaction starts and builds its own heat, you're still applying the extra heat from the lights.

Here is a pic. This is just the base layer before I had any glass down, but at least you can see what I'm talking about.

LS Sub box 080.jpg

you take the glass out of the mirror, sandblast a design on the back of it, mount a LED inside the housing, put the mirror back together, and reinstall it with the LED attached to the turn signal wires...turns out like this :beerchug:

That is freakn sweet!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow! ::11

When you get yours done let me know how much your gonna charge and I want mine in blue ! :laugh:

that's the problem- General Motors holds a patent on doing this to mirrors and went after everyone who was doing it about 4 years ago, they were threatening lawsuits and dragging everyone into court even though they (GM) don't offer anything like this for the Busa...this is why you only see a few of the older bikes (those of us who got it done back then and a few who have dared to do it themselves) with this mod...it is definitely nice to have as it is very noticeable to cars in the lane next to you on a 4 lane highway when you activate a turn signal

Shiiii* I'd do it if I had access to a blaster. Around here, nobody is gonna give a flyin fart about that least of all pull ya over for it, or even put 2 & 2 together bout the lawsuit dealings. My idea is more along the lines of light on the front side of the mirrors. But....bein that I don't have a garage to work in, it'll have to wait till spring thaw.

We're currently pretty excited about the heat wave of mid-30's temps for this week. THAT is sad my friends
Posted via Mobile Device

that's the problem- General Motors holds a patent on doing this to mirrors and went after everyone who was doing it about 4 years ago, they were threatening lawsuits and dragging everyone into court even though they (GM) don't offer anything like this for the Busa...this is why you only see a few of the older bikes (those of us who got it done back then and a few who have dared to do it themselves) with this mod...it is definitely nice to have as it is very noticeable to cars in the lane next to you on a 4 lane highway when you activate a turn signal

If that's the case, then take them to court. That's just a scare tactic. By law, you can't have a patent on a general idea. You can, however, patent specific things. For example, GM can have a patent for putting certain symbols in the mirrors, but they can't patent putting ANY symbol in the mirror.

They changed the law waaay back when cars were first invented. The original guy (who was not Henry Ford, by the way) had a patent on the automobile, and everyone who started making cars after that had to pay him to use the IDEA rather than the DESIGN. Well, so many people were coming up with new ways to do things and different designs and things that, that the law was changed so that you could only patent specific things. Like GM can have rights to the Corvette, Chrysler can have rights to the Viper, etc.

Last edited:
Back