How old is too old?

Speed King

Banned
I think after a certain age in life you should no longer be able to drive anymore and they should take you license away.

What do you people think?

Reading my mind b/c i just got home and almost got ran off the road by a gentlemen weaving has if he was drunk but after i passed him he was just old..like 50 lol..jk...he was about 70 something. I don't think it is an age thing you can label..BUT after 60 you should probably have to take a driving test every year...if you are reckless, drive 40 in a 65, or just overall a bad driver....yank the license. Then again......when I'm 60 I'm sure I would be complaining about it :laugh:

Every case is different. Roy Rogers rode into his 80's, but lost his licence to a heart
condition. Jack Lalanne is in his 90's, but in amazing shape, and capable of driving.

Last edited:
I think there should be a graduated scale so as not to offend a particular age group.

After 60 you test every 6 years, 70 every 4 years, 80 every two years, etc. I think this renewal by mail and infinite extensions is a scam and it's perpetuated by AARP. :poke:

Reading my mind b/c i just got home and almost got ran off the road by a gentlemen weaving has if he was drunk but after i passed him he was just old..like 50 lol..jk...he was about 70 something. I don't think it is an age thing you can label..BUT after 60 you should probably have to take a driving test every year...if you are reckless, drive 40 in a 65, or just overall a bad driver....yank the license. Then again......when I'm 60 I'm sure I would be complaining about it :laugh:

:laugh:

DMV around here looks at people who come in to renew their license and have the discretion to have the person take a driving exam to make sure they fit for the road.

DMV around here looks at people who come in to renew their license and have the discretion to have the person take a driving exam to make sure they fit for the road.

Yeah, but that's like what, every 8 years now? A senior can degenerate quickly in 8 years.

And hey, what part of Tampa? I work in Tampa.

Age has nothing to do with it....there's a ton of 20-something drivers out there that think they can text, chat and drive all at the same time and routinely offend my lane! :laugh: If police really wanted additional revenue they could easily sit at any corner and pick people off like a turkey shoot with the offenses I see rather than sitting for an hour waiting for a speeder. Lane changing in the middle of an intersection, wide turns crossing lanes, roll-throughs....I see thousands of dollars in violations just driving to work every day. :rofl:

yea,usually the older you are,the worse at driving,but i have to hand it to some old people,my grand father being one of them that can still drive,grandma,not so much.lol

case by case IMO. Some should have never gotten a license others when the start driving so slow or cant see etcc..

I am all for an age when your licence renewal time would be cut in half, fair to say that age starts could around the time you get your SS. Having grown up and south fla and routinely seeing folks do down right dangerous / unpredictable is scary. You quickly learn any time around "early bird special time" is a poor time to be on two wheels.

It's not that all old people can't drive, there is a few out of every kind of group that spoil it for the rest.

Jeremy Clarkson of top gear gets it...

"If you drive a bad car, that means you don't care about driving.

If you don't care about something it means your no good at it.

and if your not good at it you shouldn't be allowed so all people with terrible cars
should have there licenses taken away"
:beerchug: to the best show, ever.

My dad drove good till about 75 then we had to have a talk and suprisingly he agreed his driving days were over. Lucky for me he and mom live within walking distance to almost all their needs. Must be hard when they live away from basic needs. Our whole family helps out ,grandkids the most. Again lucky for me.

I guess you guys have never seen 16 to 25 year olds drive. Especially bikes :laugh: ! It's not age, it ability. And if you need to take a test every 2 - 4 or whatever years, then 16 thru 20 sure should also. Especially women (any age) who drive with children and cell phones :laugh:

Walt Healy is a Canadian from Calgary who owned a motorcycle dealership and gave a lot to the sport. Walt drove motorcycles until died at the tender age of 88. He amassed over a million miles on his bikes - after he retired. I've seen him driving his Russian motorcycle with side car in the snow in -40degC weather making deliveries.
If Walt can do it so can I...

http://motorcyclehalloffame.ca/healy_walt.htm

If you don't use it you loose it, I know lots of 60 year old fellow LEO's that drive at high speeds just fine. And lots of older riders that can still ride far better than your average 25 year old. I think it is a case by case basis.

I think there should be a graduated scale so as not to offend a particular age group.

After 60 you test every 6 years, 70 every 4 years, 80 every two years, etc. I think this renewal by mail and infinite extensions is a scam and it's perpetuated by AARP. :poke:

I agree. That's not a bad suggestion.

My dad drove trucks for 38 years, and still drives at 95 years old. I would ride with him anywhere. :thumbsup:

Back