How much angle is too much for radiator?

SQettlez

Registered
Ok peeps!
So I'm a long time lurker of this website, big time fan, a sometimes commenter and a recently signed member!
I plan to create a new member thread of my dream bike, that I have owned for a little over a year now, but first need some advice/help.

*I have a Gen 1 '06 busa*
Long story short I was installing a new exhaust and somehow managed to puncture my radiator. So after purchasing a new aftermarket radiator from eBay & installing I had to make a few changes to the setup (to better suit my new exhaust, not that the aftermarket radiator is made differently).

Here's where I'm stuck/questioning.
I pushed out the bottom of the radiator maybe an inch, so that it would be a little further from exhaust headers, by using washers behind the bottom "radiator-engine " bracket. No problems with this so far and it may not be a problem but there is something I have noticed.

Having the radiator reservoir tank off & just the drain hose that connects reservoir to radiator floating, I then let the bike run for only 2 minutes or so (after being off for a few days), coolant leaked out of the hose a little bit like as if it was getting too hot and pushing out coolant or if I had too much coolant in the radiator.
I did do a recent coolant flush/change (a week prior) but had already drove the bike for 2 or 3 days afterwards, no signs of anything wrong.

I didn't really put much thought into changing the angle of the radiator until I noticed this little leak.
So question is, would that angle change allow more coolant to fall out the radiator to Reservoir hose into the reservoir tank?
If so, should I fix that or not a big deal?

Trying to think about questions that would come my way before I post this and I'm going to start with:
yes it has been running a little hotter but only because of the recent removal of the oil cooler, that I did to compensate for a sidewinder exhaust. Not having overheat issues.
It was not over the halfway temperature mark when the little spill occurred.
The coolant level in the radiator is still at the top.
I don't use engine ice....yet

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated! Love this place!

Do you have one fan(stock) or has a 2nd been added? It's a common mod to prevent overheating.
Moving the bottom of the radiator forward one inch should not effect anything.
When you flushed the coolant, how high did you fill the overflow tank?
Was it to the top line, or the top of the tank?
It is normal for coolant level to Drop 1-2 ounces within several days of a flush, even if you 'burped it' and thought all the air was out, the rest will escape on it's own. However, that doesn't cause overflow.
If it continues, or especially if it gets worse, the head gasket becomes suspect.
I also have and had Engine Ice in alot of machines, and it's good stuff.

Do you have one fan(stock) or has a 2nd been added? It's a common mod to prevent overheating.
Moving the bottom of the radiator forward one inch should not effect anything.
When you flushed the coolant, how high did you fill the overflow tank?
Was it to the top line, or the top of the tank?
It is normal for coolant level to Drop 1-2 ounces within several days of a flush, even if you 'burped it' and thought all the air was out, the rest will escape on it's own. However, that doesn't cause overflow.
If it continues, or especially if it gets worse, the head gasket becomes suspect.
I also have and had Engine Ice in alot of machines, and it's good stuff.
@sixpack577
Yes, I do have a 2nd fan (from a gxr1000) on its own switch.
I believe you just solved all of my concerns and questions.
I filled the overflow tank slightly under the fill line. I never go over the fill line.
I actually didn't get all of the air out of the lines, come to think of it. I just recently seen a thread about squeezing the hoses with radiator cap off, which I will be doing soon.

It's not really causing any issues or is it a problem for me I was just a little concerned & wanted to see if anyone has repositioned the radiator before or knows of it.
Everything you said makes perfect sense and I appreciate it all.

Not sue I understand the problem
you are saying the system dumped some coolant into the reservoir?
if it is not leaking on the ground and the rad is staying full, sounds like your closed system is working correctly
or am I missing something
Yea I'm probably just over thinking crap. @sixpack577 solved the rest! Thanks people, yall the best!

(...)

Having the radiator reservoir tank off & just the drain hose that connects reservoir to radiator floating, I then let the bike run for only 2 minutes or so (after being off for a few days), coolant leaked out of the hose a little bit like as if it was getting too hot and pushing out coolant or if I had too much coolant in the radiator.
(...)

hmmm - seems as if you forgot the physics

you remember that water/coolant expands when heated up?

your description sounds to me as if you had no expansion tank connected while running the engine,
so it is normal that you find drops at the end of the hose.

other way around - when water is at its max temp , 105°C, the point when the fan starts, have a look at the tank - its level will risen around 25-30 mm.
that is the volume the coolant expands by heating up from ~20°c to 105°C and what it contracts back to its original (cold) volume.

and a strong recom. from me - if not done yet, move the fan switch a.s.a.p. from rad. to the hose at engine´s right side like shown here at my homepage. (my german page translated by google)
that is the abs. very best way to protect your head gasket against damage.

oil rad. deinstalled?

then for a sure control mount a temp.-gauge (safety first)

i mounted these two pieces at buddy´s ´01 busa
- sensor m14x1.25
- gauge (in °C not °F available i guess)

Back