How fast was i actually going?

I have been playing with the GPS also but haven't went that fast yet. With stock gearing 100mph on the speedo is almost always 91.7 on the GPS with my bike.

Calculators also do not factor in;

Ambient temperature, elevation, humidity, resistance, wind, riders weight, tyre slippage (as said), proper or improper inflation, rider's skills or lack thereof. Etc., etc.

I beg to differ, if the transmission is fully engaged, there can not be any slippgage at that kind of speed unless the road was wet in either case it would be hard to live to tell about it. The RPM of the wheel is a fixed constant relative to the engine/transmission. If the other factors can effect the top speed it would manifest itself in not being able to reach peak RPM (ie. other forces such as air resistance is cancelling out the power of the engine)

I have been playing with the GPS also but haven't went that fast yet. With stock gearing 100mph on the speedo is almost always 91.7 on the GPS with my bike.

You took the GPS on that big dozer yet~?~ :rofl:

Might not be fast but not much that can stop it right~?~

is tire slippage really that big a problem on pavement?

They say it affects runs doing LSR~!~

I'd say it's obviously more influenced under higher HP situations and how bumpy the road is~!~ Maxton for example is pretty bumpy and I believe quite a few talk about wheel spin at 1/2 or 3/4 (150 - 190 mph) mile there.

With my measly small (in relation) HP Busa I don't notice any (once beyond in 3rd gear anyway) but who would when you're doing that kind of speed, unless like I stated...you're running a high HP turbo set up and it's obvious

Last edited:
I beg to differ, if the transmission is fully engaged, there can not be any slippgage at that kind of speed unless the road was wet in either case it would be hard to live to tell about it. The RPM of the wheel is a fixed constant relative to the engine/transmission. If the other factors can effect the top speed it would manifest itself in not being able to reach peak RPM (ie. other forces such as air resistance is cancelling out the power of the engine)

You started off with a half way good argument. Where you failed to properly reason is where you didn't stick to what I had pointed out what others had only presented. I merely expounded on a list of how the calculator could not factor in the said list of variables. Potential tyre slippage was one of the variables.

I did not say anything about slippage caused whether or not the transmission was or was not fully engaged. The statement was covering unknown factors on any particular day where weather, temperature and other variables were uncontrolable by man, exmpl., Bonneville Salt Flats.

Certain known facts CAN be calculated IF those known variables are presented at the given time and place of entry. Each and every event will be different. There is no calculator that can forecast that. So, unless you plug in all said and known variables,, calculators are for potential projections, they are theoretical and are NOT proper data that can be put down in record books.

Last edited:
Certain known facts CAN be calculated IF those known variables are presented at the given time and place of entry. Each and every event will be different. There is no calculator that can forecast that. So, unless you plug in all said and known variables,, calculators are for potential projections, they are theoretical and are NOT proper data that can be put down in record books.

I think there is a general misunderstanding of the difference between power delivery verses speed.
Let's look at this example:
Given the same bike, it runs to 190 mph at 100% throttle 12,000 rpm in ideal conditions. The physical relationship between the gear/rpm and mph is a fixed constant.
Now we throw in some of the factors you mentioned, let's say a 50 mph head wind. This would mean that the bike will NOT reach 12,000 rpm due to the added air resistance even at 100% throttle, therefor it will not reach the 190 mph top speed (not the other way around). But what ever rpm it does reach with the given air resistance, the corresponding mph can still be calculated based on the gear/rpm/mph ratio.

The calculator is NOT a projection, it is an exact calculation given gear, rpm and spits out mph. All the factors you listed only effects whether the bike can get to a certain rpm.
As stated by the OP, the gear and the rpm are known, his speed can be calculated. As for the tach error from the actual engine rpm, that is another story.

Back