Hid

tinbender0

Cool Breeze
Donating Member
Registered
Anyone having any problems with their HID's? I saw this on AOL.

HID Headlamp KitsYou might be able to get a very functional, reliable, and sophisticated aftermarket installation of modern high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps, but no matter how perfect, they’re not legal -- anywhere in the U.S. Even if you can adjust your added-on HID lamps to federal photometric standards, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has determined that no HID headlamp can comply with the federal standard. Be forewarned, if you have a model that doesn’t typically have HID headlamps, you’ll get a ticket in most states.

I have heard that before but I think it is BS. Why would it be illegal for us or any one, car bike what ever to install them aftermarket when alot of cars come off of the showroom floor with them. I just kinda blew it off when some one at a local shop said that.

I agree RMS2005.. I plan on getting HID's myself. If you can see better with them and be even more visble to oncoming traffic, it's an all around win for everyone.

Ive had my hids for three years now passed every cop known to man day or night and never stopped. Best bang for the money barnone.

I thought if a vehicle did not come from the factory with HID, then it was illegal to retro fit, but I have them and have never been questioned.

never a problem here in mass. on my gen 1 and i knew they were illegal. :whistle: i think 5k or lower is less noticeable as far as hue goes.

I thought if a vehicle did not come from the factory with HID, then it was illegal to retro fit, but I have them and have never been questioned.

That's pretty much right. It's kinda like aftermarket exhaust. Most say for off road use only. Most cops over look that too unless you give them a reason not to.

Nobody bothers you here unless you don't have them aimed properly or your running a low color temp like a deep blue or purple I have em on my jeep and my bike never once had a problem

Most / almost all cops will not stop you for this. In SC ( don't know your state and local laws ) you must maintain a vehicle to factory specs. That said how would cops know what came from the factory on every make and model of all vehicles. You are also responsible for the up keep of this equipment so if you aim them high to give you mile down the road visibility then you run the risk of blinding a cop as you pass them and getting a ticket. In SC they abolished the vehicle inspection decades ago, so no one is checking the adjustment and making sure it's DOT. My shop adjusted the factory lights up for me at the shop and complained that they were outside DOT specs. My question was how can you do that without me on the bike. My weight does compress the front forks and probably the rear shock as well. Maybe I answered my own question. :dunno:

I finally did mine.... yes worried about the law thing for a little bit. But once I rode one with hid's with proper adjustment I was sold. Yes get the adjustmentt right and the color to be acceptable and you shouldnt have a problem. The lighting is that good over stock. The must do first mod in my opinion!

Back