HID Install

FJRider

Registered
I'm curious to know how many used their existing headlight wiring for their HID, or ran a separate relay for it? Anyone know how much more wattage the HID draws, over the OEM bulb?

well this supposed to use less wattage so i stayed with the original wiring just added a toggle switch on the dash so i can turn off during startups

I'm going to use a relay for mine. Ice has some threads on here about relays.

no need for relay....
that's good to know....
OK. I have no need for relay.
smile.gif

When you hook up the HID should you put in a switch to turn it off while starting? Don't know if it is good on the ballast and igniter to turn on then off to start then back on.

Did you read my thread on HID tips?

The hid bulb only uses 35 watts as apposed to 55 with stock.  The mass current pull in the 6/10's of the first second to light the ballast is not enuff to hurt the bike, bike wires, or stock 15 amp fuse.  Some bikes did come with a 10amp fuse for the stock headlight.

Using a relay with power from the battery to energize the relay and using the stock positive wire to "TRIGGER" the relay to turn on the HID ballast allows maxium current to the light only.  Your not pulling the system down due to the brake, tail and running lights etc on the same circuit.  Over time as the battery tends to weaken some people experienced flickering problems in their ballast.  This is normally caused by a faulty ground or connection and or a battery thats starting to deterierate due to age or leakage.   Current starvation is a fast way to destroy a ballast.  Relay not needed but aids in longevity.

If you put a switch on the negitive power lead from the battery to the relay you can turn on/off the relay with in turn turns on/off the HID.  Using the pos wire from the bikes headlight harness to trigger the relay means it will only work if the bike is running or the key is at least on.  Two levels of protection against accidental light left on and you walked away before it went full beam.  Also I would suggest a 15 amp fuse on the wire lead from the battery.

This is just one efficient way to hook up an HID using a switch and relay.  

Hope that helps.

JD

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137161556 -->

JD, We can make a fortune if you write the book

" HID (very bright automotive bulbs aka euro lites ) for dummies".

I could be you publisher... and first reader....
smile.gif

I seriously don't think there is anything Ice dosn't know. Alarms, wiring, motors he can tell you about it all. Write the book JD. From the book of JD, heres how I'm going to wire my HID. Pos wire from Batt. with in-line fuse to term no. 86 on relay, Neg. wire from batt. to neg. side of ballast, Pos. side of headlght to term. no.30 on relay, Pos. side of ballast to term. no 87 on relay, one side of sw. to term. no. 85 on relay, other side of sw. splice into neg. wire coming from Batt. if you draw it out it's simple. Thanks again JD.

Oh ye, purchase JD's yellow bulb for the high beam light, it definetly complements the HID. you won't need a high beam with the hid, and the yellow bulb offers a safety factor as well as a destinct look. And the bulbs are true yellow glass not coated.

<!--EDIT|BusaWizard
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137196297 -->

Back