Hi, new member engine issues.

DaveGC

Registered
Hi Dave here from Ireland, new member but been on the busa a few years. Its my daily winter and summer bike in a wet mucky ireland and lacks maintenance unless it gives trouble. Now that that's out of the way I've noticed and engine stumble lately and a rather loud intermittent engine clunking while low down. Can anyone diagnosis anything or have any ideas as to how deep I'll need to dig into her. Can't really afford much down time or spending. I'll post video.

20240218_122923.jpg

20240218_124628.jpg

Welcome,

Sorry to hear of your issue........pretty hard to diagnose over the internet but someone will have a good guess I'm sure...

We will need to know if you have done any changes to it lately and what kind of maintenance it's had (oil changes, spark plugs, etc)......

The stumble sounds like fueling but the noise could be anything....

Welcome,

Sorry to hear of your issue........pretty hard to diagnose over the internet but someone will have a good guess I'm sure...

We will need to know if you have done any changes to it lately and what kind of maintenance it's had (oil changes, spark plugs, etc)......

The stumble sounds like fueling but the noise could be anything....
Sorry, struggling to get video up

The “stumble” issue could be a number of problems, but it looks like your bike is a 1999 or 2000 model judging by the 220mph speedo.
It’s helpful if you offer info re model year and mileage on odometer for any sort of advice needed.
This particular model has an external fuel pump which is prone to clogging filters and overheating causing cavitation.
Without proper maintenance (as you’ve admitted) your bike WILL give trouble and the fuel pump is no exception.
So, it’s ( fuel pump) going to need a full strip down, clean out, and new filter in the pump at the very least.
There are a few threads here re external fuel pump strip downs so use the search function to find that info.
There are also online manuals available here on the org, ask @Berlin Germany for a link, I’m sure he will be happy to help AND to give you a few choice words of advice re manuals.
As for the clunking noise, be sure to have the idle speed set to 1200 to 1300 rpm.
Also, if the noise goes away after you pull in the clutch while idling, it’s a noisy clutch.
Other possibility is the the clutch pressure plate bolts are loose and dragging on the inside of the clutch cover.
Need to remove the cover to check for scrape marks and loose bolts.
Welcome along, please post up more pics of your Busa!

hi green isle
@DaveGC

the suzuki manual plus all microfiches u can download here . that manual fits technically ALL gen1s - ´99 - ´07

if the weird (engine´s) sound seems to come from engine RH / clutch´s side ,
don´t start the engine any more or u step into the big risk of cracking / destroying the clutch etc. as can be seen here - typical issue at all busas til 2012 !!!!

and
get these x-drivers - save a lot of nerves and damaged x-screw heads !!!

Hi Dave here from Ireland, new member but been on the busa a few years. Its my daily winter and summer bike in a wet mucky ireland and lacks maintenance unless it gives trouble. Now that that's out of the way I've noticed and engine stumble lately and a rather loud intermittent engine clunking while low down. Can anyone diagnosis anything or have any ideas as to how deep I'll need to dig into her. Can't really afford much down time or spending. I'll post video.

View attachment 1678803

View attachment 1678804

View attachment 1678803

View attachment 1678804

2001, 23.6k miles, internal pump , fuel system recently cleaned, clunking sound seems deeper and forward than clutch . Under 3k revs no power, missing and chugging, over it pulls like a train. New iridium plugs not long ago.

20240214_184813.jpg

20240214_184733.jpg

20240211_013120.jpg

20240208_181933.jpg

20240201_120329.jpg

20240201_120310.jpg

hi green isle
@DaveGC

the suzuki manual plus all microfiches u can download here . that manual fits technically ALL gen1s - ´99 - ´07

if the weird (engine´s) sound seems to come from engine RH / clutch´s side ,
don´t start the engine any more or u step into the big risk of cracking / destroying the clutch etc. as can be seen here - typical issue at all busas til 2012 !!!!

and
get these x-drivers - save a lot of nerves and damaged x-screw heads !!!
Metal clunking sounds like it's in this area.

Screenshot_20240221-185514_Dropbox.jpg

Will pull cover later but it's as quiet as anything on that side.
I got confused as the picture must be looking up from the bottom of the engine which is an unusual view.

If the noise is coming from the sprocket area, it would be only happening when the bike is in gear and if so could be an output bearing, a seized link in the chain, or a worn or loose front sprocket...

I'd check the chain first then check the sprocket..

I got confused as the picture must be looking up from the bottom of the engine which is an unusual view.

If the noise is coming from the sprocket area, it would be only happening when the bike is in gear and if so could be an output bearing, a seized link in the chain, or a worn or loose front sprocket...

I'd check the chain first then check the sprocket..
Brand new 17/40 530 kit fitted last week, I'll pull the clutch cover on Saturday, have to rebuild my bandit 12 engine tonight.

Brand new 17/40 530 kit fitted last week, I'll pull the clutch cover on Saturday, have to rebuild my bandit 12 engine tonight.
What's going on with the Bandit engine?

I had one of those and it sure was a stout powerplant.....another Suzuki that pulled like a tractor.....but was factory neutered for mid range. I changed that on mine.

What's going on with the Bandit engine?

I had one of those and it sure was a stout powerplant.....another Suzuki that pulled like a tractor.....but was factory neutered for mid range. I changed that on mine.
That one needed a new oil seal on her return pipes, other one threw a valve I think when messing around with my mates busa so both getting tore-down.

20231118_182126.jpg

Back