Here is one for you electrican geniuses

gurrera

Registered
I was out for a ride on my 99 and went to start it to go home.

I turned the key and all the lights on the instrument panel stayed on, but the gages didn't do there normal sweep.

The bike started, but none of the gages worked

Just all the lights stayed on.

The turn signals front and back worked, but the light on the interment panel did not blink

When I turned the key off there 3 lights still on the low fuel, oil and temp lights stayed on.

I repeated the turning of the key about 10 times with the same results.

Road the bike home with out the gages working.

I removed the ground from the battery for a Minuet and put it back on

Now every thing works.

Any thoughts????
Thanks for your time

My buddies 2000, just recently did the same thing!

And has not done it again!

No real answer here for you!

We tested everything, and couldn't find any shorts or any thing wrong!

The ECM or cluster, or whatever controls the cluster (I haven't looked very deeply into the electrical system of the bike) most likely had some funky info in its memory. By disconnecting the battery you erased whatever was stored and thereby got rid of the problem. You can make a check engine light in a car go out the same way. You'd be amazed how much stuff a memory reset can fix.

The ECM or cluster, or whatever controls the cluster (I haven't looked very deeply into the electrical system of the bike) most likely had some funky info in its memory. By disconnecting the battery you erased whatever was stored and thereby got rid of the problem. You can make a check engine light in a car go out the same way. You'd be amazed how much stuff a memory reset can fix.
What he said.

Being in maintenance I have fixed several machines just by turning off and unpluging or disconnecting the the main power serveral times. The operators would say I already turned it off and it didn't help. I remove all power and viola. Its like magic so they think.

I had the same thing happen to me with my oil light. It would come on and stay on even though the oil was right where it was suppose to be. I just disconnected that battery like you and everything was fine.

The aircraft I work on need this so often there a switch for us to do just that. A complete reset.
Posted via Mobile Device

it was gremlins...whatever you do dont let them eat after midnight or get wet:laugh:

Sometimes the ECU unit will pick up a static charge. This is caused just by riding. It can cause the ECU unit to store some strange info and do some strange things. By removing the battery it resets to factory defaults. I've seen it plenty in cars.

Back