Herbal Supplements - WARNING!!!

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
Well this sucks.

I use and have used herbal type supplements for many years now thinking they were safe.

Here is an article that anyone taking ANY herbal supplementation should read and be aware of. I just ran across this information today.

Study finds toxins in some herbal medicines - USATODAY.com

A few months ago due to a nutritional computer program I purchased, I discovered one of the supplements I take (Selenium), while has benefits in fighting cancer, it also possesses toxicity dangers if taken in higher than recommended dosages. At that time I felt I needed to re-address my selenium dosages. however I didn’t feel concerned about any other supplements until I read the above article. Now I find myself questioning all supplements.

Here is a good article on selenium, its benefits and dangers of selenium poisoning / toxicity.

Selenium : BC Cancer Agency

Some other resources.

UPMC Nutrition Services, Selenium, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Hey if you are on Rx meds, it is a good idea to do some checking on these even at safe dosage levels... Some herbals can inhibit or even change the effect of Rx meds...

The problem with self medication is sometime you are unaware of contraindications..

I do not have a good source even for making these checks.. (herbal/Rx issues)

As in any suppliments, most are nOT FDA approved! And with the flip side of that is just because the FDA has approved something, does not mean it is actually safe for you! Just look at all the side effects some medicins can give you.

The FDA, who are the ones responsible for letting a product on the market labeled as "tested" are the same ones who just want you to stay on the drugs you need to live for $$$$ reasons....

That is the big downfall with self medicating. As with anything DIY there are risks involved may not be fully explained or that are just not as easy to understand. That being said I personally believe most of it is snake oil any how. Not to offend anyone but the "power of the almighty dollar" has it too tempting for the marketing people to sell stuff we "need."

I'm allergic to doughnuts.

As soon as I eat them I break out in....... FAT .............all over........:whistle:

Seriously, that study looks like the samples came from Internet sources.
I would guess that even if it says made in USA they were made or produced in India or somewhere else.
That would mean they have a much lower cleanliness, health, production, packaging and shelf life standards than we are used to.

Buy form reputable sources and I think you will be OK.
Generally water soluble vitamins are hard to overdose on. (Vitamin C etc)
Fat soluble vitamins are a problem and some can kill you or make you really sick (Vit A, B,
etc).
They do not get washed out in the urine, but get absorbed and stored in the fat cells in the body, and accumulate.

There is a true story about an expedition to the north pole many years ago and they shot and ate polar bears along the way.
They wanted to get the most nutrients from the meat they saved/packed, so they just ate the livers. They all got sick from an overdose of Vitamin A from the livers.

We get vitamins and minerals from our diet too and that has to be taken into account.

Well, unfortunately, this is not really new. The industry is virtually un-regulated. Anybody with the ability to manufacture a pill, a powder or a liquid can pretty much hawk their wares to the general public as long as they don't make any guarantees about what the product benefits might be. Even if they do make guarantees, they're unlikely to be held accountable beyond an order to cease the sale of the product.

To understand how bad it is, one simply has to consider the amazing number of prescription "medicines" on the market which glorify their potential benefit while understating the often very serious and very possible side effects. And that industry is, supposedly, regulated. ???

Be careful out there folks. The money makers are NOT concerned about you beyond your ability to contribute to their bottom line.

The industry is self-regulated and to some extent you get what you pay for. I get almost all my supplements\vitamins from RBC Life Science. Nutritional Supplements & Natural Personal Care Products for Weight Loss, Fitness, Wellness, Health and Skin Care

The guy who started the company is the same guy who discovered the benefits of the aloe plant back in the '70. He has since developed a line of health products. Purity and high quality are the standard for their products, as well as transparency about their development, but they are a little pricey. I guess that premium is insurance against the stuff I read about in the article.

I have had great results.

If you are looking for a good anti-oxidant check out:

http://rbc4me.rbclifesciences.com/Products.aspx?ItemID=153

Last edited:
The industry is self-regulated and to some extent you get what you pay for. I get almost all my supplements\vitamins from RBC Life Science. Nutritional Supplements & Natural Personal Care Products for Weight Loss, Fitness, Wellness, Health and Skin Care

The guy who started the company is the same guy who discovered the benefits of the aloe plant back in the '70. He has since developed a line of health products. Purity and high quality are the standard for their products, as well as transparency about their development, but they are a little pricey. I guess that premium is insurance against the stuff I read about in the article.

I have had great results.

If you are looking for a good anti-oxidant check out:

.: RBC Life Sciences :.

Hmm I am from AZ.. the Indian Tribes have used Aloe for hundreds of years (heck our parents used it on us in the 60's for sunburns and belly aches).... you mean this is the guy that "commercialized" the sale :laugh:

The Chinese have used herbal remedies for thousands of years.. not sure I believe a lot of it but there is surely some valid stuff in all the voodoo...

Hmm I am from AZ.. the Indian Tribes have used Aloe for hundreds of years (heck our parents used it on us in the 60's for sunburns and belly aches).... you mean this is the guy that "commercialized" the sale :laugh:

The Chinese have used herbal remedies for thousands of years.. not sure I believe a lot of it but there is surely some valid stuff in all the voodoo...

You are right, the guy who did the research on it and brought it to the attention of the public.

You guys crack me up. Can I officiate at the pit, Phillips Motel :laugh:
sure thing.. if I was going to attend... :laugh: a few hundred years of use and the native Americans "might" have had a clue as to what the uses were.. Guess they should have bought a test tube.. :rofl:

sure thing.. if I was going to attend... :laugh: a few hundred years of use and the native Americans "might" have had a clue as to what the uses were.. Guess they should have bought a test tube.. :rofl:

WHAT? You are not going to be there?

Correct. Most supplements, if not all supplements have not been FDA approved. Some peope take high dosages of caffeine pills from quik stops and these can cause PVCs (preventricular contractions of the heart) and also cause allergic reactions. Be very careful what you ingest.

Look at all the negative effects of perscriptions and over the counter drugs then look at herbals.:whistle:

Back