Helpppp, fuel filter IDing...

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
So long story short, dealer ordered me new fuel filter for a 99....went to replace it....the circle is off center on the one I am replacing, but dead center on the new one. So is it the wrong filter or has my fuel pump been replaced with another one? I am passing it....long night, as the pictures will show you. Full story is tied throughout a few of my other threads. Will post back tomorrow....all input here is welcome.

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

it comes apart kinda easy, just be careful not to break the isolator(plastic liner thingy inside) I did an autopsy on my 2000 pump since it was dead. the small screen in the back is hard to clean.my filter had de-laminated and the screen in the tank was clogging too. when I get a new one, I'm gonna do the external filter mod.

remove steel plate & plastic insulator disconnect wires & pull pump out , if the plastic cage stays in the housing you will need to give it a good tug , spray some wd 40 down there first it tends to stick on the rubber o ring . the sceen is on the rear of that .
the pressure reg is simple just remove it from the housing , you can carfully flick out the filter its a small domed looking chap, lives in the housing not the reg:beerchug:

Fair enough :bowdown:

Do you think my best bet is to put back together what I have and put in the inline filter, or to somehow borrow your spare, or to go pure aftermarket? I don't mind spending money, but don't want to if I don't have to.....what sucks more is I am not even positive the pump is the cause of my problems, but regardless it's the top problem right now.

Fair enough :bowdown:

Do you think my best bet is to put back together what I have and put in the inline filter, or to somehow borrow your spare, or to go pure aftermarket? I don't mind spending money, but don't want to if I don't have to.....what sucks more is I am not even positive the pump is the cause of my problems, but regardless it's the top problem right now.

ultimately....an aftermarket pump is the best option because it isn't a "fix" like the in line filter is.

removing the stock filter and replacing with an in line is effective and will be the cheapest route.

ultimately....an aftermarket pump is the best option because it isn't a "fix" like the in line filter is.

removing the stock filter and replacing with an in line is effective and will be the cheapest route.

Okay....and the high pressure line is the one going to the petcock? or the other one? and buying one from napa is as good as any?

Okay....and the high pressure line is the one going to the petcock? or the other one? and buying one from napa is as good as any?
line is pressured from the pump to the fuel rail

depending on what you buy you may need to add a port and make it a constant running system like a turbo bike uses.

in your shoes....I would do the in line filter option.

Back