Help! Bike wont startttery

Busajew30

Registered
I cant figure this out, the battery was out of the bike and on a tenderizer in storage mode for the last month or so. I put it back in because i am about to install my kanji modded mirrors and the bike wont start. Its connected properly negative to negative, positive to positive. When i turn it to ignition the bike wouldnt even prime itself and the the headlight came on faintly and the red FI light on the dash. Back by the battery i heard tick tick tick tick so i turned her off. Disconnected the battery and reconnected again only now the bike is completely dead? What gives? Could the battery be dead even though it was on a tenderizer all winter? I hope it isnt anything more than that. Could the ticking i heard be the black box thats mounted behind the battery? I am not even sure of what it is but how could it go bad?

Change battery! The stockers never last long it seems. Also make sure the the connection is clean and tight.

well, i brought the battery to the dealership and he load tested it and it was only at 6.4v! The damn thing was on the charger in storage mode for over a month. They gave me a new battery under warranty. I have to prep it myself so i wont find out till tomorrow after it charges overnight whether that was the only issue.. I will update the thread when i find out..

Is your charger good? I use a battery tender! Also make sure the charger is'nt pluged in to an outlet that is turned off with the lights?

Yeah i have a battery tenderizer and it appears to function. I will know in a bit when i connect it to the battery to charge if it goes into charging mode i would assume it works. yeah the outlet is on a dedicated circuit so its always hot..

You didn't sit the battery on concrete did ya ? That will ruin a battery fast. Check your charger. Should probably read between 13.5 and 15 VDC at the battery terminals. As the battery reaches charge it should drop to 13 - 13.5 VDC. Good Luck.

(mzrsq @ Feb. 17 2007,16:12) You should leave the tenderizing for Steaks......
Yeah. Once you tenderize your bike battery, it's pretty well shot.

tounge.gif

--Wag--

well it appears to be charging.. i will see how it goes tomorrow. I don't have a charger that shows me volts, just a battery tender. The old battery was on a table charging, no concrete. Strange thing I would say but they covered it under warranty so no worries for me. I am thinking the ticking i was hearing was because there was not enough juice to power there starter coil?

Good News! It was only a dead battery. I put the new one in a bit ago after finishing the mirror mod and all is well. Here is a pic of my mirror...

0218071201a.jpg

Exactly what model of "tenderizer" were you using? I never heard of a "Battery Tender" going bad or killing a battery. Did you charge your new battery with it?

It was the brand "battery tender" and it was a jr. model. I have used it for two past winters to keep my other bikes batteries charged with no problems. I doubt it was the battery tender. As the dealer said, a couple of cells of the battery could have gone bad. I did notice though that when the bad battery was connected to the charge the storage light was red when usually its yellow when its in storage mode so even the tender probably determined the battery was bad. The new bad charged for 18 hours and was good as new when i put it in the bike. (it didnt come charged).

(dadofthree @ Feb. 17 2007,17:17) You didn't sit the battery on concrete did ya ? That will ruin a battery fast. Check your charger. Should probably read between 13.5 and 15 VDC at the battery terminals. As the battery reaches charge it should drop to 13 - 13.5 VDC. Good Luck.
That's just not true. That urban myth got started because it happenned if someone had a dirty or wet battery and set it on the ground, current could leak out of it, but it doesn't have anything to do with concrete.

(Busajew30 @ Feb. 18 2007,11:34) The new bad charged for 18 hours and was good as new when i put it in the bike. (it didnt come charged).
That is NOT true. All batteries sold charged. Every motorcycle battery delivered dry, as soon as i fill them up with acid they good to go.

Back