Helmet too tight?

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
I come from the school of "tighter is better." (stop laughing :laugh: )
So when I bought my last helmet, I got one that was very snug. But I'm not sure if I screwed up, since now I can't wear a skull cap underneath...it's that tight. I'm willing to buy a new helmet (this one was cheap) but I am wondering if I went too tight?

Thoughts?

i was told that when you have the helmet on and you shake your head from side to side if you get movement from it its too loose and that they are supposed to feel like they are squeezing your cheeks but it shouldnt give you a headache

It sounds too tight if you want to wear something in it.
I don't wear anything in mine, but here is something I saved from one of the helmet sites:

Your helmet fit is not only critical to the comfort and enjoyment of your helmet, but it also plays a critical role in the performance of your helmet in the event of a wreck or collision. Never purchase or wear a helmet without ensuring a snug fit. There are several methods and tricks to size a helmet. We recommend the following method:
1. Start with a helmet size you think will fit according to your measurements. (As illustrated above)
2. Pull the helmet on by grasping the chin strap in each hand and pulling it over your ears until you feel the top portion of the helmet touch. If the helmet immediately feels too tight, i.e.: your head does not touch the top of the helmet, you cannot pull the helmet down over your ears, or is painful, try the next size larger.
3. Once you have found a helmet that feels comfortable and snug, you must assure that it is not too loose. To do so, with the chin strap securely fastened, grasp the helmet chin bar firmly with one hand and try to move the helmet from side to side and up and down. If the helmet slides on your skin and hair, the helmet is too large. If your scalp and skin want to move with the helmet, the fit is snug.
4. Finally while still grasping the chin bar, try to rotate the helmet as far down and forward as possible. If the helmet feels as if it might slide off in either direction, then the helmet is either too big or the chin strap was not securely fastened.

How long have you had it? It will mold to your head some. I got a Suomy that was EXTREMELY tight (their sizes are off on the tight side). After wearing it some it did loosen up so that I didn't get a headache every time I wore it.

8 months, give or take. I tried the skull cap just a couple months ago, so it's probably not going to get any looser. :(

How long have you had the helmet? It may just need some mort time to break. When I got my first Shoei X-11 it was the same way, but now I have no problem getting a skull cap under it.

8 months, give or take. I tried the skull cap just a couple months ago, so it's probably not going to get any looser. :(

Good advice i got from GixerHP was to have a summer helmet and winter one a tad larger to accomodate your liner.

I have my old Icon that has been worn in and it fits great with a hood. My new Aria however is too snug for it.

Good advice i got from GixerHP was to have a summer helmet and winter one a tad larger to accomodate your liner.

I have my old Icon that has been worn in and it fits great with a hood. My new Aria however is too snug for it.

That is good advice for sure.

Thanks everyone for the help....at least I'll be safer with the super snugness. :laugh:

I know this sounds dumb,but cycle gear will let you keep a helmet for a week and still let you return it. So I would bring one home and watch TV in it for a couple of nights by the second night if it was still not the right fit I would return it for another. I wouldn't ride with it because one rock chip and then I would be stuck with a $600 helmet that might not fit.

The cheaper helmets gets loose over time. The higher end helmets breaks-in a little bit, but thats it.

Last edited:
Haha, I already have short hair, and the skull cap was just an idea to keep my helmet clean, not to mention I like the look. Nothing says "bada**" like a Underarmor skull cap. :laugh:

Too tight for UnderArmor? That is tight. Depending on the brand, most brands have different sized pads available, just switch them out. Not expensive either..........

Back