Helibar Handling Characteristics?

sweeper

Registered
I'm 6' and find the stock busa works well so far on 450 mile days. Thinking that for even longer days may want to put the helibars on, but afraid that I could lose some handling characteristics when I get to the twisty destination. Since risers, etc, can cause some softness in cruiser handling, just wondering if anyone has any opinions or suggestions on this?

My opinion... I think the bike definetly handles better in the twisties stock. I have the 1" risers and I find it a little harder to push right, go right; push left, go left... Don't get me wrong, I can still lay her down, but its just not quite as effortless as it was stock positioning... Know I am 5'8"; since you are taller then me, you will be better positioned on the bars to push right, go right; push left, go left.

Cloud

I put on Helibars almost right after I got the bike. Not because I didn't like it, I had just planned to do it before I got the bike. To me, they don't change things enough to really cause a problem, however, your knuckles will hit the mirrors when you turn the wheel to the stop (like backing out of the garage). You learn to watch for that shortly. I can still get behind the screen without feeling like my elbows are up in the air. I's advise that you try them. The investment isn't that great, so what the heck? I recently did 600 miles in one day, and the only thing sore was the part that the gel seat didn't pamper.

My opinion... I think the bike definetly handles better in the twisties stock. I have the 1" risers and I find it a little harder to push right, go right; push left, go left... Don't get me wrong, I can still lay her down, but its just not quite as effortless as it was stock positioning... Know I am 5'8"; since you are taller then me, you will be better positioned on the bars to push right, go right; push left, go left.

Cloud
Cloud I know exactly what you're refering to. I've had risers put on other bikes that made maneuvering just a little soft....not really a big difference, but just enough to bug me. Guess I should just do a 1K and see how I feel before spending the money.
smile.gif

Thanks for the reply Rustman. Guess I'll ride her a little more before deciding. Guess I'm just not used to a bike fitting so well completely stock.

I Have 1" reapers risers and helibars as well.....I like the set up. I don't find much difference in the twisties at all. I have a ZG sport tour windscreen on it as well (just clears it).

I have them on my 03 Busa, and will never go back to the stock ones. They feel great even after a 500 mile trip. They are a by far a must do........

Focus on pushing forward on the bars to countersteer, instead of wasted effort pushing down...  You'll be just fine, though I am willing to bet it will probably "feel" funky for awhile.  Especially if your a "Set-up" sensitive person.  The pushing down thing just happens, but actually push forward and you'll be really surprised.  Also, as you push forward use a little pull on the opposite bar, you'll be over before you know it.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097509787 -->

Back