Heat Shielding Material...

GJoker

Still got love for ya's...
Donating Member
Registered
I just went around town to the local auto parts stores, Autozone & NAPA, and they looked at me like I was on crack when I asked about this stuff~ I even tried a muffler shop and they refered me to Autozone! So I was wondering if those of you that have found some could tell me...
Where the heck did you find it at??
I did find some through a Google search, but was hoping not to have to order it on the net and then wait for delivery~

i guess it depends on what you want it for, but I ordered some for another application here at work and Mcmaster.com has all types of heat shielding materials blankets, tape and wraps they will ship the same day if ordered befor 4:00pm eastern time. hope this helps

Very much... thanks!
cool.gif

When you go ask for header tape or to see a muffler repair kit
cool.gif

GJoker- I have used with great success the one sticky sided heat shield tape used by the constuction industry. The tape is used to shield cabinets and other flammable items around stoves. It is available at Home Depot for cheap money. It ha s protected the platic bellypan and hood of my Thundercat without fail.

Thanks tcat.. I was just looking at something like that here~ I'm thinking it will work just fine~ Will have to stop at Home Depot (two blocks from my house) and see what the heat rating is on it~
cool.gif

GJoker I'm sure the heat rating will surpass your needs. My EGT's on my Thundercat have seen 1600 degrees.(I know aluminum melts @1320) and my plastics are fine. The pipe temps do spike much quicker than cylinder temps making short high temp bursts possible with a 2 stroke. I do not know what the average EGT's are with the Busa's. Finding this info should be easy here with this knowledgeable crowd. Good Luck Ride Safe. Tcat

Summitt racing or holcomb motorsports, its called thermo wrap.
Yeah, I finally woke up and skipped past the regular auto parts stores and found what I need at the local speed shop~ Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner~  
down.gif

After reading about how wrap could deteriorate the pipes prematurly, I'm just looking to line the inside of the plastics~ So I was looking more for a heat barrier, then a typical wrap~  
wink.gif

Thanks for the leads.. gentelmen.. you guys rock!  
super.gif

GJoker- I have used with great success the one sticky sided heat shield tape used by the constuction industry. The tape is used to shield cabinets and other flammable items around stoves. It is available at Home Depot for cheap money. It ha s protected the platic bellypan and hood of my Thundercat without fail.
Exactly what I was going to say... Home Depot. When I purchased my full Micron exhaust, it came with some of this material already, but I've since then had the bike painted and had to remove the heat shield.

I just went around town to the local auto parts stores, Autozone & NAPA, and they looked at me like I was on crack when I asked about this stuff~ I even tried a muffler shop and they refered me to Autozone! So I was wondering if those of you that have found some could tell me...
Where the heck did you find it at??
I did find some through a Google search, but was hoping not to have to order it on the net and then wait for delivery~
They all did the same to me when i asked for the stuff. Looked at me like i was on crack. I figured they would know exsactly what i was talking about seeing as how they deal with parts that are very close to very hot metal. oh well.

Summitt racing or holcomb motorsports, its called thermo wrap.
Yeah, I finally woke up and skipped past the regular auto parts stores and found what I need at the local speed shop~ Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner~  
down.gif

After reading about how wrap could deteriorate the pipes prematurly, I'm just looking to line the inside of the plastics~ So I was looking more for a heat barrier, then a typical wrap~  
wink.gif

Thanks for the leads.. gentelmen.. you guys rock!  
super.gif
Summit racing has both, the barrier and the wrap.

Thanks for the heads up, NJ! I tried the cheap way out.. the Home Depot solution, but not real comfortable with it~ Think I'll spend the extra bux to get something that I can ride in peace with...
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|GJoker
Reason for Edit: "brain fart..."|1111754030 -->

Here you go.....Themo shield Wrap By "DEI" part #DEI-010107,This is 1" by 50 feet. and THE-13575 By Cool It, is called Thermo-Tec , These are summit racing numbers, call 1-800-230-3030, they will hook you up! The latter number is 12" by 24" sheet, there are different sizes of sheets, just ask if this is too small or large. Hope this helps! NJ.

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111755259 -->

I didn't think I needed to do this, but when I took my fairing off the other day I noticed the factory tape was damaged by the heat so replacement time. Should of had my exhaust coated first.

I looked into coating also.. that Jet-Hot system~ They sent me a quote to do my whole set (HMF dual h/m) for something like $250.~ I seriously concidered it, but just don't have the patients for the time it would take to ship them my exhaust system and wait for it to be done and returned~ Who knows.. I may still have it done in the future...
wink.gif

Home Depot - "Frost King" thin sheild material used for AC and Heating ducts etc. It's thin with tape on one side and silver heat material on other. works great on inside of fenders.

Back