Heat or Battery?

KennyMac

Registered
G'day Gents,
I am after a few opinions, expert or at least experienced. Firstly the facts. 2003 Hayabusa. Nothing extraordinary about the bike itself, yoshis and a power commander, well serviced and cared for. The enviorment. City riding, around town sort of stuff, 50-75km/h, stopping at the lights, being very law abiding or close enough. Aussie summer weather, 32 -35". (texas hot, if that helps). Bike is running fine, hot on the legs but nothing to write home about. Temp guage indicating optimal running temp. Revs kept at a minimum, a little more than the handbook indicates because 6 gear at 60 is just plain stalling. lets say 4th and running about right.

The Problem: When I stop the bike for short amounts of time after prolonged town riding, my busa doesn't want to start. She will do the prime and all that and make a single push at starting and nothing. Then it resets and I press again and nothing. Thing is that sometimes she goes. Nothing seems different about one situation to another. It has happened a few times and it seems that waiting about 20 mins cures whatever is hurting her and off we go. It happened again today, so I came home and immediately took the battery out and tested it, green light all the way. So for ease of tracking I will line then up.

1. Does heat kill battery power?
2. Is my battery stuffed? Even though it seems fine every other start and tests as ok.
3. Is this a common thing as I don't know anyone else who rides one besides you guys.

Let me know fellas. I have my theories but I need extra opinions before I chuck a perfectly good battery in the bin. Cheers.

PS: I have included a pic of a ride I just did from Darwin down the middle. The sign is the posted limit, which is pretty much 'go your hardest'. It was an excellent ride and this is where the 'busa really belongs. It made a really happy sound being able to cruise along at 180 (km/h not mp/h, cops are there but they don't give a rat's arse what you do) all day for 2 days, with the odd squirt for the tourist buses, nah, it was for me. It was fun to guage closing speeds . Far out these bikes fly when you ask them too. I made my happy sounds too. lol. Won a t-shirt with this picture. It's all good stuff.

no_speed2.jpg

Dead cell in the battery, sometimes they will test good even when defective.Get yourself a new battery.:;):

yeah, what NJ said
cool.gif
I had the exact same thing happen to my old batter, had about 2yrs under the belt and one day just started being a pain as you described. I got a battery tender and the larger CA battery and havent had any issues since
cool.gif

cool.gif

G'day KennyMac,

I've got relatives/friends in Adelaide, up in the hills around Aldgate. It is a small world
cool.gif

+3 on what the others said. If you're cruising around town alot you may not have the revs in the range in which the battery gets charged. And with all the electronics on cars and bikes these days if they don't get the minimum amount of juice at start up things just don't work. Sort of a protection I guess.

The battery tender (and a new battery) will definitely help this.

Cheers

I use to have the same problem, I went with a battery that puts out a lot more cold cranking amps than stock.  Got it from schnitz racing.

After that, no problems at all.  I just love hearing how much faster the starter spins now  
biggrin.gif

If you want to go even futher, you can replace the stock wiring from the battery to the starter with thicker wire to reduce resistance.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136402823 -->

Yea a dry or dead cell will cause a lot of weird things to happen, that would be the first thing I would change.

Thanks gents. I installed a new one last night and road tested it this morning under the same conditions. All fixed. I'll get a battery tender in there asap. Thanks for the advice. If anyone wants to travel down the middle of Aus, drop me a line and I'll give you the good oil on distances and good stops. And the joints to avoid.

I found my stock 05 battery is weak. After the bike heats up alittle it takes alittle longer to start. Thats on my todo list *sigh*

I'm just going to put a 2nt battery under the tank with a home made bracket to hold it inplace
rock.gif

which battery did you put in? stock or the 225cca one?

I tell ya, the 225cca one from Schintz (or any good dealer) is the way to go
cool.gif

I know beefing up the battery cables is the fix for Ducati's. Might help in the future if problem comes back.

I put a new stock battery in because i had one handy for another project. It is working well but I will get a bigger and better one when I'm next near the dealer. I would love to have the balls to start dicking around with wires but in my experience, things are best left alone. I'll get them done when I have a good sparkie handy. The second battery is a good idea and I'll do that, if it reoccours. I have never even heard of a Schintz, I don't think we have them here. Cheers.

Hey KennyMac,

You'll want to look for the Yuasa YTZ14S for a replacement. Not sure if Schintz ships to AU but there's a link for their site. Thats the battery you'll want to find
cool.gif

Back