Heard something bad about trac today.

JDookie

Registered
I've been talking with a friend of mine that is big time into building high hp busa's about what swingarm to go with. After multiple discussions about what I plan to do with my bike, etc., etc., we decided on a McIntosh arm. I was originally asking about a Trac arm, and he said that he had been hearing some not so good things about them lately, but he didn't have any first hand experience in either direction.

Well, out of the blue, he called me today and asked if I definitely went with the Mac arm like we discussed, and I said "Yes, why?", and he then proceeded to tell me that he got a call from a friend of his complaining about the Trac arm that he has because for some reason he kept strectching chains. After going through a couple chains, he decided to pull the arm off and inspect it for some kind of defect, and low and behold, he found that one of the main welds was cracked! After discovering this, he called Trac immediately and asked if they have had any others do this, and also what their course of action would be, and, if you can believe it, their reply to this situation was, "Swingarms don't last forever, and you must have done something to cause the crack. Sorry, we can't help you."
AAAssjani.gif

Granted, I didn't hear this story for myself, but my buddy isn't one to make this kind of stuff up. I can't tell you guys how glad I am that I didn't go with Trac for my swingarm. This guy was extremely lucky that it didn't break completely, and I don't think he'll ever recommend Trac to anyone ever again.

Has anyone else ever heard of anything like this? It's one thing to have a defective weld. That can somewhat be dealt with, but the way they are handling the situation is just downright unprofessional if you ask me.

My point exactly. The scary thing is, judging from their statement, "Swingarms don't last forever", they actually expect these things to eventually fail!! I don't think I want to be riding on anything that the manufacturer "expects" to fail at some point.

I saw that arm when you posted it in the thread about Rob's bike. Even though it looks like a very well constructed arm, I went with this:
http://www.mcintoshmachineandfabrication.com/Swingarms.htm
I'm going with the Alumipro at the top. What do you think?
Without a doubt mac arms are the poo! I'm just trying to throw my support with someone I like who happens to have started selling those arms,you'll love the Mac arm,I might even get one myself,I have multiple busas.

Back