Heads up on PDF's downloaded from online

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
This really only applies to unknown authors etc when downloading PDF's from the net... Not saying a trusted publisher would not take advantage but pretty unlikely.. Has been going on for a bit but seems Adobe is having problems fixing the issue.. so..

In short... DO NOT download PDF's from unknown sources until a patch is completed....

Adobe swings and misses as PDF abuse worsens | Zero Day | ZDNet.com

I knew nothing about this, what is the risk? Compromised info, access to my pc, corrupted hard drive?

I knew nothing about this, what is the risk? Compromised info, access to my pc, corrupted hard drive?
the issue is that the PDF can carry executable Java scripting.. Java is essentially a small program sent out by a publisher to run on your computer.. This is done frequently as it takes the load off the server (to run the program) and lets your computer do it instead.. This is not necessarily bad unless the code has some hidden agenda.... On a busy server, you could have 10,000 users trying to run the code at the same time, if it had to run on the server, you would be there all day waiting, Java moves the code to your local machine..

It is prudent to run a browser such as Firefox and then install the "add-on" called "No Script".. (very popular with IT folk)

by no means is this fail safe but it will up your security by leaps and bounds.. I do NOT know if this has any effect on the PDF issue as it runs inside an Adobe shell and not a browser in most cases..

...It is prudent to run a browser such as Firefox and then install the "add-on" called "No Script".. (very popular with IT folk)

by no means is this fail safe but it will up your security by leaps and bounds.. I do NOT know if this has any effect on the PDF issue as it runs inside an Adobe shell and not a browser in most cases..

i'll also put in a word for "Flashblock" extension for FireFox.

and years ago you could wrap some nasty virus inside "free" mp3's off the internet...

Back