Hayabusa first bike?

If you buy a busa as a first bike it will be luck (and grace if you're religious) that keeps you from killing yourself. Your perceived ability to make "man/machine" connections will have NOTHING to do with it. There's a HUGE difference in surviving on a busa and learning to operate a stick shift (and there's no way you "perfected" driving a manual tranny vehicle in 30 minutes. There's a difference between being proficient at something and meeting the minimum requirements of it.).

Get a smaller, less powerful bike for a first bike. Yeah, starting on a busa (as a first street/sport bike) has been done (I done it...), but it's a huge risk, both financially as well as to your health and well being. I'll admit in a heartbeat that pure luck and God's grace kept me from killing myself on the busa as my first street bike.

Start out with a smaller, less powerful bike...

Well, hard to say anything new and original on this one, but understand that every person who has posted here is telling you what they think because even thoguh noone knows you, you are a member of the board and they are trying to look out for you. They don't want to see you unhappy and don't want you to feel bad, but they do want you to be able to ride on, safely and within your limits. The Busa wouldn't be a bad bike to learn on if:
You couldn't pull 75 MPH in first gear
You couldn't pull 60 MPH in 3 seconds or less
You couldn't pull the front up and loop the bike in at least two gears
It wasn't the badest mofo on the road and brings the worst temptation imaginable to test the first three....
Anyway - whatever you choose, good luck. There are a lot of crash and accident vids on this site. Watch them. Understand why you have to respect any bike, let alone the Busa. Find a safety course and wear gear. Get insurance. Ride safe and smart (if and when possible). Welcome. And post pics of whatever you come up with.

This is an issue that's been raised many times and all the members who posted above me have very good and valid points. For me, I've done the dirt thing for 5 years, first street bike was a 2000 GSXR600 that I rode for 4 years until I got my first Busa (second street machine). I've done the MSF and consider myself a fairly competent rider (I'm still here to talk about it and post right?). I had my first ever accident a year ago Jan 2005. I've always been without incident and had several close calls. This time it was driver negligence and had no time to react. My injuries were pretty bad and thankfully I didn't lose any limbs.

I thank God everyday that I'm still alive and fortunately back in April 2005, was able to get on board another Busa. I just don't ride at night anymore.

To sum it all up: Veteran or newbie, the Busa can kill you just as much as the other driver on the road. That's why you gotta be smarter and better than the other guy (esp cagers). If you've never ridden street: PLEASE TAKE THE MSF. The things learned in that class may just save your life. Some members have chose the Busa as a first ride and are still riding today as we speak. Others have seen significant damage while another percentage are probably and unfortunately fatal. Use your best judgement. Today's new liters as well as the Busa ARE NO JOKE. Think about a SV650 or 600. Maybe a 750 but you'll have enough power on tap and still be able to manuever the machine with ease. Good luck and post pics of whatever vehicle you decide the purchase.

Busa was my first bike. Respect its power or you will get seriously injured if not killed. I know from first hand experience.

Didn't realize you guys would let this thread keep going in the general section but again thanks!! Somebody mentioned me not perfecting stick driving in 30 minutes and I totally agree with that/never claimed it. I just said I could drive a stick that quick meaning get around, and do the majority of the maneuvers necessary to get around. I still don't think I'm proficient at stick! There's just always that room for improvement. To the guys that got the bike as a first one, how old were you? I'm 18 right now, but I won't buy the bike till may 2008. It will be a graduation gift to myself. I just want to read up/know as much as possible about the beast before I get on it, and there's no harm in starting early, even 2+ years right? I do have a couple questions though. Can you guys list some specific mistakes people make on the busa/big motorcycles? Also, I have this ridiculous fear that on a bike that big, if at a corner you lean too far down, the bike will slide out right from under you. I just can't imagine wheels having that much traction!

<span style='color:red'>Tufbusa</span>also taught me how to ride.  With his guidance I purchased a 2005 600 GXSR last March which he lowered for me. It was a good sports bike to start on, especially since I am small.  He also taught me how to ride my Harley, which I sold for the sports bike after he convinced me it would be more fun. I am now considering buying a new busa.  I think no matter what you get, the key is not to ride beyond your skill level and ride safely.  Good luck!

Didn't realize you guys would let this thread keep going in the general section but again thanks!! Somebody mentioned me not perfecting stick driving in 30 minutes and I totally agree with that/never claimed it. I just said I could drive a stick that quick meaning get around, and do the majority of the maneuvers necessary to get around. I still don't think I'm proficient at stick! There's just always that room for improvement. To the guys that got the bike as a first one, how old were you? I'm 18 right now, but I won't buy the bike till may 2008. It will be a graduation gift to myself. I just want to read up/know as much as possible about the beast before I get on it, and there's no harm in starting early, even 2+ years right? I do have a couple questions though. Can you guys list some specific mistakes people make on the busa/big motorcycles? Also, I have this ridiculous fear that on a bike that big, if at a corner you lean too far down, the bike will slide out right from under you. I just can't imagine wheels having that much traction!
Well I can tell you one of the most common mistakes on a Big powered bike like this is people cracking the throttle open too much when they aren't a reflexed enough rider to react to it. This bike will have you at 100mph like nothing flat and a lot of people end up carrying too much speed into a turn and not realizing it. Also the Busa is a big wide bike. There seems to be a lot of accidental drops or people just not being the right size for the bike. As far as the leaning issue man just because you own the bike doesn't mean you have to drag knee. Thats not REALLY what the Busa was designed for anyways (although its very capable of). Those tires are designed as you roll into a turn to provide totally sufficient traction up until the point where you DO take it too far then it is gonna slide out from under you. You just have to make sure you are familiar with the bike before you do it. And I was 23 when I bought the busa.

Dude,
Dude--
My 2 cents? I've been riding a lot of different bikes for a lot of years. I'm going next week to buy my first 'busa. Trading in a Yamaha FZ 1. I learned a long time ago that your brain is in my right wrist--so use it wisely. I teach motorcycle safety courses only because of what I learned there. I rode for a number of years (without a license!) and thought I knew it all. When I took the MSF course (both beginner and advanced) I couldn't believe all that I didn't Know! Take the course, it will save your bike and more importantly--save your life! Hope you will enjoy your 'busa as much as I plan on enjoying it!

NO! See above
rock.gif

Since you will not  be buying the bike for awhile you have time to take the riders course & collect your gear. Plenty of time to watch for sales & close outs. I scored a new Shoei RF900 on ebay for 179.00. Also a new Joe Rocket leather jacket for 2 bills.
A couple of good books to read: A Twist of the Wrist & Twist 2.
California Super Bike school has a how to track ride video. Not that you will be going to the track but there is useful info on braking & control which crosses over to general MC riding.
IMHO street riding in the city is the most dangerous so your use of the bikes controls has to be automatic & this aspect of riding can only be accompllished with practice.
Get the bike you like & learn how to ride it. If you decide on a  Busa it can be a ridden like your on a pussy cat or a Tasmanian Devil.
Your right wrist controls your destiny.
Good luck.

as a first bike I say NO. but you do have a little riding ability whether its dirt or street any little bit helps DO THE MSF COURSES I did and glad I did you'll learn alot that may do just what others have said SAVE YOUR LIFE do that b4 you buy just so you won't be tempted to go ride b4 you know how to ride. I suggest a smaller bike, but if you do the courses and use your brain and get used to it. others have managed to do it, so why not you! but listen to what we are saying Don't Become a Statistic.

P.S. Learn to ride Right you'll love it alot more if you do!
wink.gif

If you're not going to buy until 2008, you need to go out now and buy a CHEAP 1980's 500 to 600cc bike. Buy gear, take an MSF course and ride the hell out of the bike every chance you get. When you drop it you'll be able to laugh instead of wanting to crawl into a hole and die because you just destroyed $1000.00 worth of plastic.

Too embarrassed to be seen on an older starter bike = POSER.

Not trying to be funny but when I saw this post , the post under it was called "insurance claim"!
biggrin.gif

Don't worry, I have a legitmate reason for not having one. I live in MA and go to school in VA. If I buy a bike in MA, I can only ride it during the Summer breaks. I wouldn't be able to transport it to VA as I drive down there in my car with all my stuff. Winter break wouldn't be an option due to weather. I could also get one in VA. However, I'm not sure the school will allow two vehicles. If they do though, I wouldn't be able to leave my bike there for winter/summer breaks, and would have no way of getting it back up to MA with me. Finally, I'm doing a semester abroad in Australia. I'm leaving the 6th of Feb, and leave AU for more travel in late June, and won't be back till August 8th. I guess I could get a bike in Australia right when I get there, and sell it right before I leave, but I'm not sure learning while driving on the left side of the road would be a great idea. Really, I think the only viable option to get a bike earlier would be the spring of next year. I guess I'd find a way to get it back up to MA. So honestly, it's a great idea, but it'll have to wait a year.

This was copied from a different thread I'm in.

Back