Hayabusa first bike?

kdawg31337

Registered
Alright, first time in this forum, so can I please not be totally flamed for asking this question?? Anyway, I'm planning on purchasing a new busa and want to know people's reasons for saying it's a terrible first bike. There's an article at http://www.hyp4r.com/hayabusa/ about why it's a bad idea, but I just don't think I follow with it. Personally, I pick up any man/machine type relationship extremely quickly. I learned to drive stick within no more than 30 minutes, if that. Having said that, the first time I ever got on a motorcycle (~400 CC dirt bike) I picked it up with zero issues. I rode a 250 cc basic bike after that for a couple days and just got completely bored with it. Neither of these bikes were mine, so I still fall into the first bike category. With that, can you guys let me know what you think?

EDIT: I didn't realize there was a newbie section here, sorry for posting but I can't find the delete.

<!--EDIT|kdawg31337
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137303794 -->

Dude this must be like the millionth time the same question has been asked.Good idea for a first bike? Well there is no clear and cut answer.Except for the fact that just about everyone drops their first bikes no matter how careful they are.On a new busa that means over 1k worth of damages and we are just talkin cosmetic baby.2ndly yes you can get really hurt if you arent careful.However from what ive seen and read most older people (40+) seem to do just fine on a fast new bike as a first time rider but the are also less likely to try to do 150 on a highway or maybe try to show off in front of a chick compared to some 18 yr old who thinks with his d!ck much more than his brain.Bottom line the choice is yours but i just think if you are a young buck you are probably better off with a cheap 3-4 k bike as a first one.Buy it on cash , play with it and sell if after 5-6 months and get a busa.They dont depreciate much either so youll get back most of the money you buy a used bike for.

<!--EDIT|umairhashmi
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137304209 -->

With somuch power in your hands if your no ready for it and learned the way of the $hity streets you end up dead. Reguardless if you owned a dirt bike, quad or scooter. I do not recommend a Hayabusa for a first bike. Pick up a 600 or 750 USED...!! Ride it for 1 year and put about 6k miles on it. If you haven't dropped the bike for 6k miles and you feel you are ready then get a Busa.

When getting any sport bike your mind gos into crazy speeding mode. If you don't train yourself, the cops and the morgue will get to know you. I lost 3 friends in the past 2 years now. All because they wanted more and there minds weren't ready for it. Drag racing cars like there was no tomorrow or trying to ride out a wheelie in rush hour traffic because its cool. Better yet, Last dead riding friend ran from the cops. He hit a stop sign and flipped on to the X-way. The sign cut him wide open and his bike was found with the speedo locked at 147mph. Yep, bikes totaled, Hes dead and now the local cops hate sport bikes even more. Not saying your someone that would do that but neither was he.
sad.gif

A good 600 can kill a Busa off the line. A tricked 600 can run low 9s. At the VERY most get a 1000 but like I just said I don't recommend a Hayabusa for a first bike. VERY bad news.
sad.gif

sad.gif

For one -- talk to your insurance agent --thats answers the question pretty much in itself. Stats say the avg life expectancy of a New Hayabusa is 6 mos(per geico agent). Some less than 24 hours. Now it seems that most of the forum members here have had their bikes a long time and there is a reason for that -- we are all experienced riders. If you get one and you and the bike survive 6 months -- congrats -- you are now an experienced rider. Is that a gamble you are willing to take?

kdawg31337 you will learn things on a 600 that you had no idea you had to know. I dropped my first bike in the 2 month I had it because a dam SUV and a water on the road. Dropped it again when I was hot dogging. 3 months later and dropped that poor bike a third time because damn rocks on the road in a turn. needless to say I don't drive the same way I did with the poor 600.

Those things your yet to learn. Either the easy or hard way. Also a light weight bike is easier to handle during the learning times. a 600 can also go 160-170mph "stock gearing" and for many thats enough. HELL some Busa members here haven't gone over 130.
laugh.gif

wait for the 2007 anyways... "No comment"

I really appreciate you guys answering this even though I made a mistake in posting here. Vic-e55, what exactly do you mean about quoting my saying "I learned"? I just feel I'm naturally capable enough, and respect the bike enough to take it easy and gradually move up in skillful maneuvers as we grow together.

I really appreciate you guys answering this even though I made a mistake in posting here. Vic-e55, what exactly do you mean about quoting my saying "I learned"? I just feel I'm naturally capable enough, and respect the bike enough to take it easy and gradually move up in skillful maneuvers as we grow together.
You can learn how to change gears in 30 minutes, may be...
You learned how to work clutch in 30 minutes? I call BS.

Misshift in a car could kill the engine... On a busa.. You.

You will buy the busa no mater what we all saying... So if you do be carefull, take it easy, respect the power. Never forget about it.

You and Busa not growing together... She is mature already..
smile.gif

If you weight less then 180 pounds look for something else.
If you are big boy you should be fine.

Busa is twice the weight of durt bike. Find one with sliders installed. Lay her down on a side and try to pick her up alone... If you can...
If not, buy a Gixxer1000 you won`t be disapponted.
smile.gif

Anyway... GO BUY SOMETHING AND RIDE..

and welcome to the board..

smile.gif

It also matters quite a bit if you are a small weak kinda guys or a big one.Im a 200 lb juiced up competitive bodybuilder at 5'9 who can squat and deadlift 500 lbs for over 6 reps.It makes it a hell of a lot easier for me to pull the bike back up if it starts goin down compared to some dude who weights 140 soaking wet
smile.gif

the busa was my first street bike that I"ve owned, but I had ridden motocross for 15+ yrs prior. I didn't have a problem whatsoever. If you don't have quite a bit of riding experience I would suggest against it only because the busa can get you in trouble REAL quick if you're not careful.
tounge.gif

You can learn how to change gears in 30 minutes, may be...
You learned how to work clutch in 30 minutes? I call BS.[/QUOTE]

At least his reasons aren't as funny as the last few we've had around here.
There was the POSER Chow guy that played basketball in college so he was up to the challenge of the bling bling Busa. Of course it wasn't long before he posted about how he laid it down really good. Not sure if he fixed it or wised up and sold it, regardless he no longer posts here.

My all time favorite is "Kris (with a K)". I mean the duuuuude could drift a Camaro so that new '05 Busa would be no problem for him!
smile.gif
Man, talk about entertainment...within weeks every inch of that bike looked like it went through a meat grinder. Clicking on every post by him was a treat as you'd get to see what the accident of the week was.
He no longer posts in here either. Good natured guy though, hope he's ok.

Those are the ones that lasted a while. Use the search function to see how many first timers got a new Busa, had a huge post count going for a week and then disappeared off the face of the earth.

I'm all for government staying out of people lives, but when it comes to bikes I believe the UK has things right. You are forced to start off small and then graduate on up.

My all time favorite is "Kris (with a K)".  I mean the duuuuude could drift a Camaro so that new '05 Busa would be no problem for him!
smile.gif
 Man, talk about entertainment...within weeks every inch of that bike looked like it went through a meat grinder.  Clicking on every post by him was a treat as you'd get to see what the accident of the week was.
He no longer posts in here either.  Good natured guy though, hope he's ok.
His screen name is Lotus49.  22 years old.  Good kid, but way in over his head with the Busa.  We should have had his stuff stickied by default.  I especially enjoyed the Suzuki sux becuse they won't warrantee my crash damage posts.  
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|BusaWhipped
Reason for Edit: None given...|1137373857 -->

You can get a used sport bike fairly cheap and ride it for a year then turn around and sell it for what you paid for it, then get a busa. How do you know you are going to even like riding? If you got bored with dirt riding you could do the same thing with street riding. The busa is a big bike, if you go down on it you can get hurt more than with another bike. There are people who get it as a first bike though. It comes down to being your choice.

In my humble 45 years of riding bikes, I have found no other big bike as gentle and forgiving as the busa. It's a gentle beast that will take you any place you want to go in style with ease. Does it have power, yes! But,,,,,,,, you must crank the throttle open to unleash the demon. Just think of it in the same way as when your daddy taught you to drive and said to push on the gas pedal as if you had an egg under your foot. Same with the busa. Give it gas as if you were trying to pick an egg up with a thread, very gently. You'll find the busa very easy to manage.

I would much rather see you on a busa as a first bike than any of the liter bikes. The Gixxer, R1, ZX10 for example can all be classified as "Evil"! Any one of those are much more likely to bite you during the learning curve than the busa. I taught Scootergirl to ride a busa with very little experience. She had no trouble whatsoever and dearly loves her busa. I taught her to ride on a 800 Intrucer which weighed in at 535 pounds, fifty pounds heavier than the busa. So if a 130 pound woman can manage a bike that heavy as a learner, doesn't say much for the wieght lifter who thinks you have to squat a ton to straddle a busa
smile.gif
Riding bike is a lot more about balance, hand eye cordination, etc, than it is about strength.

My advice is, if you want a busa, by all means buy one. If you drop it, which you probably will and most folks don't crash them learning to ride, they drop them in a parking lot trying to go slow. Just put a few bucks away to buy some new plastic when you scratch up the side panels.

Also, find yourself an experienced sport bike rider to help you through the learning curve. It will save you lots of headaches. Go take a motorcycle safety course before your purchase no matter what you buy. The course will give you a little riding time and pointers to get you started. For the first month, always ride with a friend. In case you drop it, it's a heavy beast to upright by yourself, that's where the guy with the strong legs would come in handy.

For those who tell you to start out on a 600? That's not bad advice but IMO a 600 goes 160 MPH and I'm not sure slamming into a tree or bridge abuttment at 160 on a 600 will have any different results than doing the same on a busa at 180 MPH? Use good judgment and common sense and you'll live to be old and gray like me, get stupid and most likely you'll become a statistic early on, no matter what bike you decide to purchase!

Good Luck on your biking adventure and welcome to this board. Lots of good guys here!

My two cents ... buy a 600 or 750 that's much lighter and easier to handle, and spend some time on it. After some time, you'll feel like you're part of the bike, rather than sitting on top of it. Then buy the Busa.

whatever you do dont take the relectors off of it! Youll be in a world of hurt then Bro!

On the serious side though the Busa is a Big, heavy, powerful, bike. When learning how to ride a street bike this may not be the most conducive apparatus to your learning curve. Recommend something with a little less bodywork as a starting point anyway. Too bad Suzuki won't bring in the GSX1400. That would be the ultimate Starter bike!

Wow, you guys are definitely a great place to ask for information, I'm amazed nobody has insulted me yet. I can understand your disbelief in my statement that I picked up a stick shift pretty quick, but it's true. I obviously don't have any way to prove it or anything, so if you believe me that's fine and if not, that's ok too. I love the post that showed the sick 100+ mph wheelie. Now, I may have a wish to be on the edge in getting this bike, but a death wish I don't have. The reason I got bored with the dirt and 250 cc street bikes was that they just wouldn't cut it in terms of @$$-kicking. I'm a professional skier, and the only way I can get the feeling which is the reason I ski is in a high speed turn where you can feel g-forces as your skis push against you. As for the bikes, they just didn't accelerate quick enouqh, nor did they feel much more exciting than my mountain bike (a bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea)

Alright, first time in this forum, so can I please not be totally flamed for asking this question?? Anyway, I'm planning on purchasing a new busa and want to know people's reasons for saying it's a terrible first bike. There's an article at http://www.hyp4r.com/hayabusa/ about why it's a bad idea, but I just don't think I follow with it. Personally, I pick up any man/machine type relationship extremely quickly. I learned to drive stick within no more than 30 minutes, if that. Having said that, the first time I ever got on a motorcycle (~400 CC dirt bike) I picked it up with zero issues. I rode a 250 cc basic bike after that for a couple days and just got completely bored with it. Neither of these bikes were mine, so I still fall into the first bike category. With that, can you guys let me know what you think?

EDIT: I didn't realize there was a newbie section here, sorry for posting but I can't find the delete.
Dude like everyone said this question has been asked a hundred times and you are gonna get the same answer. NO it's not a good idea. However I am one of the few that will differ with that. The busa was my first bike and I absolutely love it and have learned to ride it quite hard. Here is the only advice I would give you if your gonna go that route. First of all just cuz you can ride a stick car and a dirt bike don't mean squat on this thing. The busa has so much power that when you DO F up and you will eventually it is very unforgiving. Now if you have the sense to take it easy with the bike when you first get and and really learn the bike (and not just riding it). I mean learn how to maintain it properly and learn what to look for out on the road with OTHER people before you start spanking it a little bit then I say go for it. It was my first bike and so many people tried to keep me off it I couldn't believe it. Now if I had listened to them and bought another bike I would have been pissed down the road. Secondly make sure you can afford it. Buying a bike is not just being able to scrape the money together to purchase it. The busa is a costly bike to maintain. IF you do drop it or something because u aren't used to the size the plastics cost an arm and a leg. The busa will EAT tires and chains so they will cost ya. If you are gonna do your own maintenance you will need a good set of stands and if you AREN'T gonna do your own maintenance then I really hope you are well off. Also you gotta check on insurance. Most companys are gonna bend you the hell over and talk a walk up ur bunghole if you are young and trying to ride this bike. Basically man if you ride like you got some sense and can afford the bike and all its aspects I say go for it. It was my first so I aint gonna steer you away from it. I hope the advice helps a little. Oh and PS just make sure and wear ALL the proper gear if you are gonna ride this bike for your first. It's better to wear it and not ever need it then to need it and not wear it. Trust me.
BB69

Back