have you ever used mobil 1 full synt. oil?

gcal

Registered
i just changed the oil in my busa (agian) and this time i spoke with a friend and he recommened using 15-50w mobil 1 full syntitic (sp?) and put all 4 quarts in when replaceing the filter also.
has any one done this and what do you think.
i also heard that motorcycle oil is the same as car oil just diffrent packageing.
i trust my friend consedring he has a turbo busa, that he built, so i am not questioning his judgement. i am just seeing if this is a common thing.
btw when i drained my old oil (some full synt i got from cycle gear, i cant remember the name) only 3 quarts came out. true that when i put the oil in, 3,000 miles ago, i only put in 3.73 quarts like the book said.
whats the deal with that is that common or what?
my bike is a 00 stock with 13.5 k miles
any advice is great thanks
gcal

I am not sure about the synth. oil, but I use vegatable oil in my bike. It's really inexpensive, and come in handy on those lonely nights after I leave partys in Portland.
laugh.gif

Hey,
Mobil 1 15w-50 is a fine choice, but DON'T overfill your crankcase!! All kinds of bad stuff can happen such as the oil being whipped into a foam by the crank, and the oil could be getting pushed past seals, etc.

Good luck, Tim

putting all four quarts in is over filling???
it says 3.73 (?) with the filter change
can a quater of a quart make a big deal?

I am not sure about the fully synthetic oil, my dealer says that you should use vegetable or mineral oil, or at most a semi-synthetic. Apparently fully synthetic can cause glazing of the clutch plates over time.

<!--EDIT|Speedmilo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090957512 -->

Apparently this website has had favorable reviews of Mobil synth oil, but doesn't name Mobile 1 speciffically. They do also make a comment about full synth oils making the clutch plates a little slippery

I used to use Mobile one all the time. Now I use AMSOIL. It works great and it has no friction modifiers.It is wet clutch compatible.I have 5 differant people with 5 differant bike that tried it and loved it. It provides a nice smooth shifting.It has a longer service life and better protection against wear. It's made for motorcycles. They make a 10w-40 a 20w-50 mainly for the harley guys and a 0w-40. It is a full synthetic and AMSOIL are the first in synthetics.Check it out. They also have filters too.

http://www.puresynthetics.com

<!--EDIT|1badasbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091493489 -->

Mobil 1 15-50 @ 4 quarts is no problem. I just rolled past 18k miles and have been using it since day 1. Oh, this combination has been rigorously tested many times ...
tounge.gif

if you let the bike sit on the stand with the plug out and the filter off for a while, and while it's still hot, hou can drain out a hefty amount of oil. Last time I put nearly 4 quarts back in to bring it up to full. I've used Mobil 1 ever since the first 500 mile change. My clutch seems to be hanging right in there.:cool:

Back