Mobil 1 Oil Okay to use?

Youkai

Registered
Hey guys, gonnna change the oil on the Busa as soon as I hit 150-200 miles (baby the crap out of my things). Anyways, is it okay to run Mobil 1 10W-50 I believe (Red Cap)? I used it on my R6 and I had no problems, even made shifting smoother. Other guys on R6 forums had no problems using it either, what about the busa?

Welcome to the Org, I've heard a few members say that it's ok start using the Mobil 1 Red Cap(Known as Gold Cap now) from the get go. I started using it after I hit 3k miles. Personally I think it would be a matter of choice though.

do you mean there MX4T oil?

If so, clikc here since we talked about this:

<!--EDIT|gsxr1100
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122566905 -->

I used the red cap at 25 miles and then couldnt find it anymore, heard they replaced it with the gold cap. its 15w50 gold cap that i use now, i notice a definate smoother shift after an oil change. so far i'm on schedule every 3000-3500 wherever it falls into my schedule. it has been looking pretty clean at change time so 4000 wouldnt scare me. this is gonna be another long opinionated post. someone has done some extensive research on the topic so i suggest searching for that thread, may be the link above. later

I used Amsoil for about 300 miles. Just did not shift very well. Went to Mobil 15w50 Extended Performance (Gold Cap) and it feels much better. I'm hooked.

I used Amsoil for about 300 miles.  Just did not shift very well.  Went to Mobil 15w50 Extended Performance (Gold Cap) and it feels much better.  I'm hooked.
Same here. I tried that amsoil and the shifting seemed rough. Using 15/50 gold cap now and all is good.

Mobil EP guys??? Hmm, I would not do that since the oil has 1.35% ash in it (no no). Friction mods that a bike will and should not have and the oil is not Jaco MA cert? I would rather have MB then MA. But they do not even have MA on it. I personally do not like the 85 to 100ppm of Moly in it.

From Mobil here
This is Mobil's response to this question

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 15W50 EP would not meet the requirements that a motorcycle recommends such as the JASO MA spec. Jaso Ma states that the oil meets the friction requirements for a motorcycle. I can not recommend any other oil to you besides the 20W50 V-Twin.
------------------------------------------------------------

Also Amsoil came out with a new bike oil abour 2.8 months ago. The rseults are very good; add lkg trought the roog, good numbers and better shifting.

But to close there is a reason why oils come for bike and some for cars.

<!--EDIT|gsxr1100
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122637163 -->

Okay, this last post has me reconsidering now. I was going to go with the gold cap but now I might consider sticking with dealer oil. Is there anyone who has used Mobil 1 for ~10000 miles or more that can chime in with their opinion? Thanks guys.

I for one am not trying to convince anyone here.

Mobil EP is good oil but based on Mobil's response and the oil tests; it should not be used in bikes; use at your own risk.

Some people have used car oils in bikes and been fine and others have major clutch issues. Also to note, some clutches are dry and some are wet.

I would not use it but you can’t hurt nothing if you try it.

You could try mostly any diesel oil (with proper ratings), other Mobil oils, Redline, NEO, Amsoil, Silkolene, Motul and maybe a few others. Really, any Jaso Cert oil is fine.

Hey whats up gxsr1100? What do you mean by Mobile EP ? Do you mean mobile 1 full sythetic 15w40? Is that what is considered mobile ep?

Is there anyone who has used Mobil 1 for ~10000 miles or more that can chime in with their opinion?  Thanks guys.
I have used red cap which is now gold cap in my zrx for 31,000 miles and I have had no problems thus far...seems like some time ago I was reading where mobil 15/50 had less moly than some of the motorcycle oils. Can't be sure though, I'm sure someone around here will set all straight...Forget it, I'm gonna start run'in wesson oil
laugh.gif

Hey whats up gxsr1100? What do you mean by Mobile EP ? Do you mean mobile 1 full sythetic 15w40? Is that what is considered mobile ep?
Mobil came out with 3 more oils:

Mobil 5000, dino oil
Mobil 7500 (group 3 blend hydrocrack dino oil)
Mobil 15000 EP (group 4 oil, true synthetic- EP is extended performance)

Now Mobil DID have another 15-w50 but has been discontinued; but you still find the old stuff. This 15w-50 came out about 15 years ago and I think it had a red top. It was super syn 15w-50 performance formula.

So they are not the same. But as with any oil, if it says synthetic find out which group it is; 3, 4 or 5. Most times the group 3 is very close to a group 4 price, so you are getting rtipped off.

Is there anyone who has used Mobil 1 for ~10000 miles or more that can chime in with their opinion?  Thanks guys.
I have used red cap which is now gold cap in my zrx for 31,000 miles and I have had no problems thus far...seems like some time ago I was reading where mobil 15/50 had less moly than some of the motorcycle oils. Can't be sure though, I'm sure someone around here will set all straight...Forget it, I'm gonna start run'in wesson oil    
laugh.gif
Yes, considering some oils this Mobil is low. Based on others, it is high. Depends on what oil it is being compared too.

Okay, this last post has me reconsidering now.  I was going to go with the gold cap but now I might consider sticking with dealer oil.  Is there anyone who has used Mobil 1 for ~10000 miles or more that can chime in with their opinion?  Thanks guys.
I used Mobil 1 red in my 1991 GSXR with 1340 motor and N.O.S since the motor was built 15,000 miles later was gonna have the motor freshned up. We took it apart and it was perfect, Changed the gaskets and put it back togehter. I now own a Busa since 413 miles I 've been using Mobil 1 red. And I not sure if I get a little extra horse " I know it may sound crazy" But my bike has always been just a little faster than the rest. I won't use anything else. Just my .02

Ran red cap 15-50 Mobil 1 in my 91 GSXR 1100. Sold it to a friend with over 70k miles on it. Still going today. Ran it in my 2000 busa and had 41k on it when it was stolen. Will put something close to it in my 06 when I get it. FWIW, the guy that bought the 91 put a clutch in it and said the inside was as clean as new.

I just change to Amsoil 10w-40w motorcycle oil.
I can not believe the differents!
Runs with less engine noise and shifts so much smoother.
I think I'm hooked!
race.gif

<!--EDIT|StageRulz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1124416442 -->

Back