Have you ever blown the cooling fan fuse?

Trout

Registered
My cooling fan fuse is blown (2007). I'm always willing to replace a fuse and just see if it happens again before getting too deep into diagnostics. I'll do the test like the book says and see if the motor is drawing more than 5 amps.

Just curious if this is common and if it's happened to you?

Hopefully it was a fluke... water or something.

check for pebble in blades and fan can spend freely.. be sure blades not touching housing or frame of fan. I have fans if you find it faulty..

Yes, please check to make sure your blades are turning freely. My bike overheated last summer and i ended up laying her down when she scalded my left leg. Once i had done about 4500 in damage, I was with the technician when he showed me the cause of the bike over heating due to a blown fuse that wa caused by the fan blades being bind ever so slightly. A second degree burn and a new set of fairings and a windshield, lesson learned.

I put in a new fuse and tested the current draw on the fan. The Suzuki manual says that the fan should not draw more than 5 amps... mine draws 6.7 amps. :(

I wonder what the "average" draw is for stock fans. I hate to get another one and find out mine was average.

I wonder what the "average" draw is for stock fans. I hate to get another one and find out mine was average.

I found an answer to this question in another thread on this forum. Imagine that. Sounds like mine is average.

"A single Hayabusa fan will draw at least 6.5 Amps (I’ve actually measured its current draw)."

(Here's the thread)

Check for something causing resistance. It didn't just start blowing for nothing. Pebbles have been found as well as bent pieces. Make sure that fan blade rotates freely.

Check for something causing resistance. It didn't just start blowing for nothing. Pebbles have been found as well as bent pieces. Make sure that fan blade rotates freely.

Thanks. When I did the current draw test today, the fan spun freely and it sounded normal.

When you say check for resistance, are you talking electrical resistance or something that prevents the blades from spinning? There is nothing visibly wrong with the blades. There are no rocks in the cage. Is there anything else I should check?

Mine blew earlier this summer, but the cause was obvious once I looked for it. I fell off at the track summer before last, and during the tumbling something pushed a small section of the metal mesh fan cage in enough to catch the blades. Make sure it's turning freely and try another fuse.

Also resistance in that the fan motor itself has bearings and they can go bad and caue it to spin but with too much resistance.

I blew my fan fuse on another bike, when I piece of gravel flew up and got wedged between the blade of the fan and the radiator. Make sure your fan turns freely and smoothly and is free of obstructions.

About the only thing to do then is to put another fuse in it and see if it blows it too. If it does it again, then begins the nerve racking process of chasing down the short in the wiring harness.:(

About the only thing to do then is to put another fuse in it and see if it blows it too. If it does it again, then begins the nerve racking process of chasing down the short in the wiring harness.:(

Post #4... I replaced the fuse and ran the fan with a multimeter in the circuit. The fuse did not blow. I measured 6.7 amps, which is a little higher than the 5 amp spec, but well below the 10 amp rating of the fuse.

I went out tonight for another inspection. I found a pair of small rock chips in the bottom of the cage, between the fan frame and the radiator. They were not in the way of the blades, but this tells me that I got rocks in my fan cage. On my last trip, I went over some new chip seal roads. I'm going to assume that at some point, one of the rock chips interfered with the blades.

Thanks. When I did the current draw test today, the fan spun freely and it sounded normal.

When you say check for resistance, are you talking electrical resistance or something that prevents the blades from spinning? There is nothing visibly wrong with the blades. There are no rocks in the cage. Is there anything else I should check?
No, not electrical resistance. If it blows again, you'll have to start looking at wiring. Put a 20 amp fuse in and you'll probably find the problem :laugh:

That last part was a joke :poke:

Happened to me once last year I think. Bike got hot when I got in trafic. Pulled over and noticed the fan not working. I changed the fuse on the side of the road and its still good to this day. Mine is an 07 too. Change it and forget it. Check into it more if it happens again.

Back