Cooling Fan Fuse..

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
I noticed the cooling fan wasn't working on the last ride, so I went looking. Found that the 10a fuse was blown, not a biggie (better than the thermal switch or such), replaced it. But now the lingering question is.. why did it blow? No bare wires visible (fairings off and followed as much of the wiring around as I could), fan has only been on a hand full of times since I've had the bike. Maybe just a fluke (hopefully). Has anyone else had any issues with their fan wiring/fuse system on a Gen 1?

Make sure the fan spins freely!
I had a small stone the was stuck between the radiator and the fan blade, that blew the fuse on mine!

I had fan issues for a few months. Fuse kept blowing. I removed the radiator and even ohm checked the fans and all was good, even ohm checked the wires from the fuse box to the fans and lots of other measurements. Turned out to be something shorting in the wiring harness somewhere. I had to re-wire my fans to my fuse box in the tail of the bike and now it has been working perfectly fine for weeks now.

I had fan issues for a few months. Fuse kept blowing. I removed the radiator and even ohm checked the fans and all was good, even ohm checked the wires from the fuse box to the fans and lots of other measurements. Turned out to be something shorting in the wiring harness somewhere. I had to re-wire my fans to my fuse box in the tail of the bike and now it has been working perfectly fine for weeks now.
An ohm meter is good for finding a direct short. Barrow a megger next time.

Hillbilly, John gave you some good advice. Spin that puppy. If it blows again you'll need to go looking.

Make sure the fan spins freely!
I had a small stone the was stuck between the radiator and the fan blade, that blew the fuse on mine!

You sir, hit the nail on the head! :thumbsup:
Wasn't a rock, but the fan cage was bent in from the off at the track summer before last.. First time I'd rode it in hot weather and got caught at a 3-4 stop light set 'n idle.
FanCage6-16-2012005.jpg

Was stopping the fan blade in it's tracks. Pulled it back out, fan ran, no fuse blown. Whew! Got off cheap there.:laugh:
Oil/filter change, air filter, and fresh coolant with a big dose of Water Wetter while I was in there.
Put the fairings back on in the morning and ride..

I had the same issue where my fuse blown while I was on Vac. Do you think water can cause some thing like that to blow because it rained pretty hard. I went to walmart and picked up some fuse to replace and found these cool fuse that light up when they blow they are called easy ID they have them in 10amp 15amp

I would think the only way water would blow the fuse would be if it caused a short somewhere. Make sure the fan turns freely (found my problem when I went to check this), and let it warm up enough to turn it on and see if it works without blowing another fuse.
I seen those ID fuses too. I was at the auto parts store and they had both, so I just got a package of the regular 10 amp ones.

Run it long enough to turn the fan on and see what happens. Possible that the fan blade will still turn, but the motor have an internal short. Also look closely at all the obvious wiring for a bare section that could be shorting against something.
I hate electrical gremlins.:banghead:

Nope it did it again Im hoping its nothing big like wiring harness. Do you think my Hid are doing some thing? Is their any kind of lube to use on the bearing under the blade. Found a little rust under the blade on the corner near one of the screws.

Nope it did it again Im hoping its nothing big like wiring harness. Do you think my Hid are doing some thing? Is their any kind of lube to use on the bearing under the blade. Found a little rust under the blade on the corner near one of the screws.

Mine kept blowing. My fans were fine and the wires ohm'd out good but something in the wiring kept blowing the fuse. My problem stopped as soon as I rewired it myself.

Back