Have two questions

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Pair valve/block off plates:
1. When removing the pair valve and replacing with block off plates and gaskets do I also need a "block off cap" for the air box? I see the Brocks kit (way overpriced IMO) comes with one but other block off plate kits (APE) don't come with a block off cap and I don't see them sold separately.

Yosh SS Bolt-ons:
2. When installing do I need to aplly any kind of high temp silicone around flang to protect from possible leaks? Also, what is best to use to keep ss cans clean? Someone here stated something about using alcohol.

1) I just left a 1 1/2" piece of the hose on the airbox. Then I found a bolt that is just larger than the I.D. of the hose. I pushed the bolt in there and used the hose clamp from the PAIR valve end of the hose to hold it in...even though friction should be enough.

2) Permatex makes some exhaust sealant that would work for sealing up in there...

Not sure I can help much on the SS - I have a Muzzy aluminum can... Alchohol seems reasonable - would remove the oils and grime...

Pair ?- The last time I looked the set that Street-n-Track offered came with caps for airbox and throttle body for about 1/3 the price of the Brock's. I personally got the APE block offs and capped the airbox and throttle body myself.

Yosh slip ons- Can't answer that one but someone will be along shortly that can!

(omslaw @ Aug. 22 2007,10:27) 1) I just left a 1 1/2" piece of the hose on the airbox. Then I found a bolt that is just larger than the I.D. of the hose. I pushed the bolt in there and used the hose clamp from the PAIR valve end of the hose to hold it in...even though friction should be enough.

2) Permatex makes some exhaust sealant that would work for sealing up in there...

Not sure I can help much on the SS - I have a Muzzy aluminum can... Alchohol seems reasonable - would remove the oils and grime...
See what I mean?
beerchug.gif

Sorry, but I don't like the idea of a bolt hanging out the end of a hose as my cap.

So you are stating that I must have a cap to block off the air box, right? Do they sell caps for the air box separately? I have not seen any.

Also, I was asking if it is a "requirement" for me to use some type of exhaust sealant when installing bolt-ons or do I only need to use it if I detect a leak?

No exhaust sealant needed, stock gaskets can be reused multiple times., chrome cleaner would be the best for SS cans. SS kitchen cleaner works great too. You can use WD40 to clean road crap first, wash it with soapy water and finish with chrome cleaner on microfiber cloth.

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Aug. 22 2007,12:27) No exhaust sealant needed, stock gaskets can be reused multiple times., chrome cleaner would be the best for SS cans. SS kitchen cleaner works great too. You can use WD40 to clean road crap first, wash it with soapy water and finish with chrome cleaner on microfiber cloth.
Vic,

What about the caps for the air box when removing the pair valve?

Liked your Yosh repair/mod work btw.

(Over_Easy @ Aug. 22 2007,12:31)
(Vic_E55_2001 @ Aug. 22 2007,12:27) No exhaust sealant needed, stock gaskets can be reused multiple times., chrome cleaner would be the best for SS cans. SS kitchen cleaner works great too. You can use WD40 to clean road crap first, wash it with soapy water and finish with chrome cleaner on microfiber cloth.
Vic,

Just go to your local auto parts store and get two caps to plug the nipples on the air box
wink.gif

(BA BUSA @ Aug. 22 2007,12:42)
(Over_Easy @ Aug. 22 2007,12:31)
Vic,

Just go to your local auto parts store and get two caps to plug the nipples on the air box  
wink.gif
Okay, but...two caps? I thought only one was needed - that's all that comes in Brock's kit.. If I go to Auto Zone, NAPA, etc. what kind of caps should I ask for...and should I apply some type of adhesive as well...the plates use the OE bolts?

PAIR Plates? , they use oem 6mm nuts. you can use originals or any 6mm nuts.
Caps.... Honestly I don`t understand why r y hesitant using short piece of hose cut off PAIR assembly, you will not reuse it I can guarantee that. Like Omar suggested.
The other (clutch ) side of airbox has cap on it, it`s like pinkish semi transparent 1/2' plastic cap.
You can take it to the store with you and asked them for something like that.
the other is actuator hose, about 1/4' it`s connected to throttle body and take vacuum from there. You need to cap it as well. You can put 6 mm bolt in it and call it a day. or use your imagination and plug it somehow else.

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Aug. 22 2007,13:44) PAIR Plates? , they use oem 6mm nuts. you can use originals or any 6mm nuts.
Caps.... Honestly I don`t understand why r y hesitant using  short piece of hose cut off PAIR assembly, you will not reuse it I can guarantee that.  Like Omar suggested.
The other (clutch ) side of airbox has cap on it, it`s like pinkish semi transparent 1/2' plastic cap.
You can take it to the store with you and asked them for something like that.
the other is actuator hose, about 1/4' it`s connected to throttle body and take vacuum from there. You need to cap it as well. You can put 6 mm bolt in it and call it a day. or use your imagination and plug it somehow else.
Thanks. I haven't gotten into the guts of it yet so I'll have a better idea whence I get into it..

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Aug. 22 2007,14:59) Cover you radiator with cardboard, or you will bend fins.  
beerchug.gif
thanks for the reminder. I see lots of folks do it when changing out their headers.

(rockadaous @ Aug. 22 2007,15:01) http://www.deadheadcycles.com has the entire kit for a good price ($16).

prod-dhc-pair-mod.jpg
Just ordered, rock, thanks. I like the fact that they have everything in the kit as well and you can't beat them at that price...I don't give a hoot what they look like as long as they work. No worrying about d*cking around at the store looking for caps or bolts.

Back