Block off PAIR valve???

hyyaqt

Donating Member
Registered
I have an '04 Busa with Yoshi RS-3 Bolt ons. I don't plan on any major mods (full system, pciii, etc...). I have an annoying pop when I let off the gas. After reading bunches of PAIR mod posts, I have a couple of questions for the experts.

1.) If I just block off the hose, right side airbox, to PAIR valve, does that cause any long term engine problems?

2.) Does blocking off the PAIR valve void warranty?

3.) Can I achieve what I want (getting rid of popping), by just blocking off valve? I really don't want to take the bike all apart to totally remove.

4.) Is this all that I need to do? Do I need to change filter? K&N?

Thanks.

Best answer for you is buy a full exhaust. I never experienced that popping sound you hear of when I HAD my Yosh RS3 Race slip-ons on my '02 Busa. The only time I had some popping was when I first got my PCIIIr and was playing with the fuel curves. I was running a little rich and it would cause a slight popping (i.e. backfire) when I throttled real hard and let off. Now that I have a full exhaust, pair valve removed, air box mod, and custom map on PC, I have no problems. She runs like a dream.

Brian

Steven and I have the same problem with our Busa's but you guys that are rich please send us the money to do a full exhaust,buy a power commander,since my money tree isnt growing as well this year.....lol.I dont know about Steven but I have 2 kids at home a wife with a suv and my billiard habit.So please try to answer within the scope of the question...

Thanks Joey

The reason you can't go gospel by what one poster or another says relative to their particular experience with the busa is, no two bikes are 100% alike. One rider might experience virtually no popping, you might get alot. Depends on the bike and your altitude.

But we can speak in generalities...

From having gone through this on both my 954 and my FZ1, I can tell you that removing the PAIR will likely decrease if not totally eliminate the decel popping you're experiencing.

The engine is an air pump. More air is better in theory, but you have to add concomitant levels of fuel to counter and take advantage of the increase in air intake (filter) and exhale (cans). Get it?

Do not add a K&N. Decel popping is caused by an already lean condition (the bike in factory trim) which is exacerbated by the addition of free flowing cans. Add a free breathing air filter and you'll need to go the added step of a Power Commander.

IMO, it's best to either run stock cans or go all the way, nixing the PAIR and adding a PCIII.

Edit: You need to remove the pump completely, otherwise the pump will still be "working" (working against itself that is) and eventually a seal or your plug will fail (my best guess anyway). Spend the few bucks for the block off plates, it's an easy mod and it might serve your purposes. And no, it won't void your warranty EXCEPT regarding the emissions system (be careful on resale/inspection in Cali).

<!--EDIT|opdsgt
Reason for Edit: None given...|1094596255 -->

Thanks opdsgt....one more question...do you have the link to where i can buy block off plates?

Thanks Joey

Do not add a K&N. Decel popping is caused by an already lean condition (the bike in factory trim) which is exacerbated by the addition of free flowing cans. Add a free breathing air filter and you'll need to go the added step of a Power Commander.
Ummm, I thought the popping was from unburned gas (which is not a characteristic of an engine that is running LEAN) igniting in the pipe/can when it mixed with the oxygen introduced by the PAIR valve. You sure about what yer tellin' there? Maybe you're just not wordin' it correctly. Maybe I'm just not understanding it correctly...
rock.gif

Edit: You need to remove the pump completely, otherwise the pump will still be "working" (working against itself that is) and eventually a seal or your plug will fail (my best guess anyway). Spend the few bucks for the block off plates, it's an easy mod and it might serve your purposes. And no, it won't void your warranty EXCEPT regarding the emissions system (be careful on resale/inspection in Cali).
If I remember correctly Johnnycheese, recognized as the board busa wrench, blocks 'em off for customers instead of removin'em. I think we all know Johnny well enough to know that he wouldn't do it if there was a risk of damage to a custmer's bike.
rock.gif

Ummm, I thought the popping was from unburned gas (which is not a characteristic of an engine that is running LEAN) igniting in the pipe/can when it mixed with the oxygen introduced by the PAIR valve. You sure about what yer tellin' there? Maybe you're just not wordin' it correctly. Maybe I'm just not understanding it correctly...
rock.gif
opdsgt has a future in politics

laugh.gif

If I remember correctly Johnnycheese, recognized as the board busa wrench, blocks 'em off for customers instead of removin'em. I think we all know Johnny well enough to know that he wouldn't do it if there was a risk of damage to a custmer's bike.
rock.gif
No doubt, the guy knows what he's doing and I'm not at all trying to disrespect him.

Personally, I perfer to remove the valve. Clean and tidy, you can always stow it away if you want to put the bike back to OEM condition before selling it. I just figure it's sort of going halfway to plug it, know what I'm saying?

beerchug.gif

rock.gif
No doubt, the guy knows what he's doing and I'm not at all trying to disrespect him.

Personally, I perfer to remove the valve. Clean and tidy, you can always stow it away if you want to put the bike back to OEM condition before selling it. I just figure it's sort of going halfway to plug it, know what I'm saying?

beerchug.gif
I agree, I took mine off, but really only for the weight savings and tidy factor.
wink.gif

Ummm, I thought the popping was from unburned gas (which is not a characteristic of an engine that is running LEAN)
Every bike I've ever dyno'd (I've owned 12 japanese machines and one Ducati over the years and have dyno'd about half of them) has been terribly lean from the factory.

FWIW
Not arguing that, just sayin' I don't think that's why busas pop through the can on decel with pair valve functional.
wink.gif

I didnt feel like going to all the work of removing the pair just yet. I will when i find an exhaust. I just yanked the hose off and blocked it off. Bfiring cured.
Oh.... most factory engines... sleds , bikes and cars are usually rich to protect them from possible damage. sj

Thanks Gsteve,
That is what I was wondering. How long has your bike been like that? No problems....or side effects?

Thanks for all of the responses.

Back