Hard bags for the Busa are coming!

Francesco

Registered
I contacted Corbin to see if they would be making any hard bags (just don't like that name "Beetle Bags") like the ones they have for the Honda blackbird. I just received an e-mail today from Brian at Corbin. He stated that they were planning to make them in the future but didn't have any time table set yet.

I'm not sure if I would want to run around with them on my bike full time (would depend on how good they looked) but I certainly wouldn't mind spending an afternoon bolting a set on (along with a seat, Heil bars, a ZG sport touring windshield, and tank bag) and heading across a few state lines.

If you're interested in these hard bags you might want to go to the Corbin site at Corbin.com and e-mail them with your interest. Who knows it may help speed things up a little. Certainly couldn't hurt.

Corbin makes some neat things, and whatever he makes is certain to be top quality. I have seen his beetles on a Valkyrie and a VFR 800. Having said that, I have to confess that I couldn't put them on my Busa. You are right, at times they would be great, but there are a few problems.
For years, the rumors on the VFR have been that Honda was trying to respond to the outcry for hard bags, but that on that bike the bags they developed caused stability problems. Corbin may have gotten around that by making the bags on the VFR very small. The VFR beetles are tiny. I have tank bags which can hold as much as both VFR beetles. Would beetles for the Busa cause stability problems? Would they be big enough to be worth the trouble and expense? The Busa is already a fairly wide bike; would the bags widen it too much?
Last, the installations I have seen are not a quick, easy on, easy off switch. They involve not only installing the mounts but rewiring the rear lights. What kind of mounts, holes, brackets or whatever would be left if you took the bags off?
In general, I like the Ventura system better, but even they leave ugly brackets.
I've developed a system that is guaranteed one of a kind and which allows me to run a totally stock appearance most of the time but to switch to considerable load carrying ability and even have a passenger backrest when desired.I use soft bags, though. I have 4 configurations for the rear, none of which takes more than 5 minutes to install.It aint cheap, but it's a lot less than beetles.
I think the beetle bags make perfect sense for anyone who likes that configuration and wants a permanent installation. A Sport touring Busa would be unique and kinda cool,but I'm willing to give up the advantages of hard bags in order to fit a variety of duties.

What soft bags do you use ??? Has anyone tried the Aerostitch dry bags ??? or the Marsee saddle bags?? I like to travel long distances a backpack just doesn't get it and tank bags are too small.

I'm quite sure you can't exceed 100mph with any kind of bag on.

Lyle, I use the smaller versions of the T-bag line. Use the 1/2 cu.ft. round bag most of the time, but the full 1 cu.ft. Texan bag fits and works great for longer trips. Since they fit right behind the rider on the passenger seat, secured by straps around the grab handle, they don't affect stability at the speeds I've run. I've been over 150 with the larger bag, and to 165 with the smaller, without being able to tell they were there.

Lyle, I should have mentioned that the secret to the security and stability of the setup is the backrest installed on an extra grab handle.Backrest was done by a machinist, and comes off with the grab handle when you want to run the hump,or just the passenger seat and normal grab handle. The bags come stiffened with foam, so they hold their shape and never flap in the wind.

This may be more info than you need, but the T-Bags have a pocket built in that slides over a backrest which is then adjusted so that any load rests on the passenger seat. Straps with healthy nylon snap-fasteners lock around the grab handle. Secure.

RKA make good saddlebags - worth a look. I also use a Marsee tankbag.

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 04 January 2000).]

Back