Hanging with the Harley Dudes

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
My husband and I finally got to go riding yesterday...5 hours of touring back roads and historic areas.  We mostly saw groups of Harley riders, just a handful of sport bikes to be seen...

Anyway, the first two hours of the trip were spent waving to all of the bikers heading the other way...I was following (yeah, Busa's follow, especially when I didn't know where he was taking me), so Harleys waving to my husband and I weren't too big of a surprise.  I spotted a few double-takes when me and my Busa popped in to view, but all-in-all they waved to me.  It's usually 50/50 when I'm by myself...some Harley riders will wave and others seem to forget their manners
tounge.gif

We passed a guy on a yellow Katana that didn't wave back at us, and my husband showed his feelings about that by waving his finger in the air after the cold shoulder...yeah, he's good for PR!  lol

After a few hours of riding, we ended up along the waterfront in a very historic area.  There's a bar there, and tons of custom bikes and Hogs parked in front.  We did the usual "ride-by", turned around and then went back past.  My husband asked if I wanted to stop, but I was really more in to riding than parking and staring at bikes.  I waved once or twice to the guys/gals hanging around the bikes, but I got a "who do you think you are" stare...no biggie...I can take it...

We finally did stop closer to home for a drink and a break (water for me, thanks) at a known Harley hangout.  Harleys parked all over the damn place, guys and gals sitting outside enjoying the warm weather over a beer or ten...I park my Busa well away from the other bikes, not because I don't think I should park with them, but because I don't need to worry about them stumbling past after a few and tipping him over!  
biggrin.gif

I spot a table outside and walk toward it, knowing full well that all those guys just saw me get off of a sport bike wearing a white Harley coat; that my husband just parked his 1200 Sportster next to me.  I made eye contact with several of the beasts, and said something like, ummm "hi"...yeah, that was it...all I got was a "death stare" back, like I was in enemy territory and would surely be torn apart and served up as dinner if I stuck around...I was wearing my h.org t-shirt, and chuckling to myself as I took a seat...

Not downing the Harley crowd 'cause I am married to one and friends with several, including a few from this board, but it was just damn funny to me...

...is it just me, or is it actually enjoyable to be the only sport biker in the group?  I find it very amusing to see how differently people treat me...in my neck of the woods anyway!  
biggrin.gif

Kicker was that while we were sitting outside, admiring all of the leather and fringe, I saw a few sport bikes pass by...I was hoping against hope that just one would pull in, but they're smart and kept booking it up the road.  I saw a sweet yellow Suzuki with a wicked extended swingarm pass by; few minutes later we packed up and headed out.  It wasn't until I was on the main road, did a U-turn and passed my husband to show all those Harley riding smugs sitting in the sun drinking beer that I go fast too, that I saw that stretched out yellow Suzuki parked in the front of the bar...I wish he'd been brave like me and parked amongst the chrome and leather!  We could have formed an alliance of two...
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

Well Michelle, no words at the moment can begin to describe what you just wrote. Does the word "novel" mean anything to you?
rock.gif
Not that it was long-winded, but it was so melo-dramatic. You definitely have a way with expressing yourself and that's cool, but next time you want to tell us of a riding experience...please...please...please, don't take us with you.
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
I actually felt like I was riding on the back of your bike as I read this masterpiece of literature...
wink.gif

Brian

Well Michelle, no words at the moment can begin to describe what you just wrote.  Does the word "novel" mean anything to you?
rock.gif
 Not that it was long-winded, but it was so melo-dramatic.  You definitely have a way with expressing yourself and that's cool, but next time you want to tell us of a riding experience...please...please...please, don't take us with you.
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
 I actually felt like I was riding on the back of your bike as I read this masterpiece of literature...
wink.gif

Brian
Okay...didn't mean to bore you to tears...I was just sharing what I thought were funny experiences...and I wasn't trying to be melodramatic...I was just having fun telling a story...

...perhaps I should just type "hi" next time and keep it short...or, just lurk and post
smile.gif
when I see something I like...hrmmm...

On a more serious note. Do you happen to do any writing professionally? It's just refreshing to read someone's posts that spells correctly...
wink.gif

Brian

...shortened for Brian: I went riding with my husband...saw some Harleys...the Harley riders didn't talk to me...I thought it was amusing...I'd share more, but I'm too wordy...

Well Michelle, no words at the moment can begin to describe what you just wrote.  Does the word "novel" mean anything to you?
rock.gif
 Not that it was long-winded, but it was so melo-dramatic.  You definitely have a way with expressing yourself and that's cool, but next time you want to tell us of a riding experience...please...please...please, don't take us with you.
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Brian
Okay...didn't mean to bore you to tears...I was just sharing what I thought were funny experiences...and I wasn't trying to be melodramatic...I was just having fun telling a story...

...perhaps I should just type "hi" next time and keep it short...or, just lurk and post
smile.gif
when I see something I like...hrmmm...
I really wasn't trying to be ugly Michelle. I was just being observant and at the same time trying to slide in a little props to you on how well you express yourself. I'm the joking kind and always find comedy in just about everything. Actually, I find myself reading about 90% of what you post because you usually have a way with words that is so insightful.

Brian

rock.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Brian
I figured that the smilies behind my comments would clue you in to how I was joking with you. No harm intended.

Brian

Kind of hard to see the smileys when you're practically begging me to not take you along for the ride...I felt the stab...

No harm...I can take criticism...or, more than likely, I just won't let it get to me...I was just sharing an amusing day...perhaps only amusing to me...so be it...I'll call this one "thread to VABUSA" and I'll continue to type back to myself...

I guess thanks are in order for my literary skills...not really sure...
rock.gif

bout the non-waver Katana... sometimes they just don't see ya.  at least that's how I always justify it to myself.  
smile.gif
 sometimes, taking off, cornering or at a light, I don't wave but I make sure to give a real obvious head nod when my clutch hand is previously occupied.  then again, i learned last year in my neck of the woods, the southsides are self-involved egotistical dorks who NEVER wave.... not that I'm bitter  ;)

PS I LOVE reading short lil stories like that! Thanks for taking me there
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078167734 -->

bout the non-waver Katana... sometimes they just don't see ya.  at least that's how I always justify it to myself.  
smile.gif
 sometimes, taking off, cornering or at a light, I don't wave but I make sure to give a real obvious head nod when my clutch hand is previously occupied.  then again, i learned last year in my neck of the woods, the southsides are self-involved egotistical dorks who NEVER wave.... not that I'm bitter  ;)
WWJD...tons of guys don't wave or even see everyone to wave...I just thought it was funny that my husband showed attitude to the one sport biker and I got sh*t from an entire group...just found it amusing...

I've enjoyed my Hardlys,I have several friends I ride with that have 'em,but after going back to sportbikes-especially the Busa,I really think it should be illegal for something to be so loud and also be that clumsy and slow.............:laugh:

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078169948 -->

I don’t like riding with cruisers much... Even my friend that has a Harley rags on my arse when we are around his buddies, he makes comments like "he rides a rice burner but we will forgive him" or stuff like that..

So, just so I don’t feel like a second class citizen, I normally don’t ride with anyone not of my own breed.

And when it comes to waiving to other bikers, yeah well I am starting to feel jaded. In California it isn’t too bad, cruisers will often waive back to you.. however when I was in Arizona, I was fricken amazed!!!

I don’t think I had one cruiser / Harley rider wave back at me, and when I asked FIP and Mikey D about it, they said “yeah, they don’t wave back much†and I even notice they looked the other way, they like wont even look at you.

I hate to say it, but treatment like that pisses me off and THEY cause the segregation of bikers.

Whenever I wave at a cruiser and they put their nose up at me, I feel like pulling in front of them and throwing some rubber into their non-helmeted face…

Don’t even get me started!!! Oh wait.. too late you already did!!!

AAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, bacharles --- dude!! Just take vabusa out and shoot her next time, would have been less painful for her…

I don’t talk much unless I know you and feel comfortable, and when I do I often talk a lot, except for when someone makes a comment that I talk to much.. then I pretty much wont say $hit to that person ever again.

I don’t like riding with cruisers much... Even my friend that has a Harley rags on my arse when we are around his buddies, he makes comments like "he rides a rice burner but we will forgive him" or stuff like that..

So, just so I don’t feel like a second class citizen, I normally don’t ride with anyone not of my own breed.

And when it comes to waiving to other bikers, yeah well I am starting to feel jaded. In California it isn’t too bad, cruisers will often waive back to you.. however when I was in Arizona, I was fricken amazed!!!

I don’t think I had one cruiser / Harley rider wave back at me, and when I asked FIP and Mikey D about it, they said “yeah, they don’t wave back much†and I even notice they looked the other way, they like wont even look at you.

I hate to say it, but treatment like that pisses me off and THEY cause the segregation of bikers.

Whenever I wave at a cruiser and they put their nose up at me, I feel like pulling in front of them and throwing some rubber into their non-helmeted face…

Oh yeah, bacharles --- dude!! Just take vabusa out and shoot her next time, would have been less painful for her…

I don’t talk much unless I know you and feel comfortable, and when I do I often talk a lot, except for when someone makes a comment that I talk to much.. then I pretty much wont say $hit to that person ever again.
thrasher...I feel your pain...and I sense you are quite upset over this little subject!
mad.gif
biggrin.gif
My husband said the same thing as he headed out to Sturgis last summer...some states just didn't offer up a nice wave or thumbs up...he said it was very odd...

I'm stuck riding with cruisers...seriously, the only sport bike I've ever ridden with was a guy that just happened to be in front of me for about 2 miles! Other than that, I'm either alone or with some Harleys...

It's so funny to start with the Harley crowd, as I did, and have your husband in it and other family and friends, feel the love when you're riding your Harley, then watch it shift ever so slightly to the left when you buy the sport bike...

It's in my nature to always wave...hell, I probably wave to mopeds and joggers, but I don't give it much worry if they don't wave...just find it all very amusing...in a pathetic sort of way...
tounge.gif

...as for bacharles...don't give him too much sh*t...it's okay to say I'm writing a novel...I usually do...but, the melodramatic part was sort of puzzling to me? I'm a simple gal; surprised I can even spell "melodramatic"!
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

Don't let the waving/non-waving thing bother you. I've been on both types of bikes, and been snubbed by both types of riders. Generally it seems that sport bikers are more likely to look your direction if you're on a sport bike. They're not too interested in looking at Harleys. But I get snubbed while riding my Harley by other Harley riders, for whatever reason as well. Doesn't bother me much. There are times when I've been the snubber, but never for the purpose of being a jerk. Sometimes you need to pay more attention to what's going on on the road in front of you than to being friendly. That's just the way it works out.

thrasher...I feel your pain...and I sense you are quite upset over this little subject!  
mad.gif

biggrin.gif
 My husband said the same thing as he headed out to Sturgis last summer...some states just didn't offer up a nice wave or thumbs up...he said it was very odd...

I'm stuck riding with cruisers...seriously, the only sport bike I've ever ridden with was a guy that just happened to be in front of me for about 2 miles!  Other than that, I'm either alone or with some Harleys...

It's so funny to start with the Harley crowd, as I did, and have your husband in it and other family and friends, feel the love when you're riding your Harley, then watch it shift ever so slightly to the left when you buy the sport bike...

It's in my nature to always wave...hell, I probably wave to mopeds and joggers, but I don't give it much worry if they don't wave...just find it all very amusing...in a pathetic sort of way...
tounge.gif

...as for bacharles...don't give him too much sh*t...it's okay to say I'm writing a novel...I usually do...but, the melodramatic part was sort of puzzling to me?  I'm a simple gal; surprised I can even spell "melodramatic"!  
tounge.gif
O.K., let's try this one just one more time. I was actually trying to give Michelle a compliment in a round-about way. This post is more related to what Mr. ThrasherFox implied. In no way was I trying to say that what Michelle wrote was boring. I was just merely pointing out her literary skills while having a little joke at the same time. I am truly sorry if I hurt Michelle's feelings, but I wish other people would just simply read the words, and then check the smilies behind them. Ya know, the whole posting etiquette thang. From the number of posts that I have, one can tell that I've been around this board for a while. I've offered help, advice, and an occassional thought of wisdom. But, at the same time, I like to harass people just slightly enough to where they don't get offended. I've dished the dirt as well as taken it and not once did I lose my cool. The words only mean something if nothing else is implied or attached to it like a smilie of some sort. This is the first time I have had a run-in like this of any sort behind comments that I made to someone. If it offended you Michelle, once again, I apologize. Some people just need to brush up on their posting etiquette (not referring to you Michelle). Now this post has not one smilie that implies anything which goes to show the sincerity behind the words.

Peace out, Brian

tounge.gif

I work with several Harley enthusiasts or fans. I tell them I will never own a Harley. They are a nice looking bike, don't get me wrong, but I think a Busa is a much more unique bike. Everyone has a Harley it seems anymore. I've only been a Busa owner for a week but I am very proud to say I have one. I can't wait to have Harley riders stare me down or talk poop! LOL....If they don't wave, oh well, someone else will. I enjoyed your story very much!

Michelle,

I enjoyed your story, and enjoyed being able to ride along with you. Brought back memories of when BT would post about his rides. Keep up the good work.
beerchug.gif

I've been snubbed by the Harley riders too, and I'm with Thrasher...It pisses me off. I want to turn around and catch them....easy enough on the Busa
biggrin.gif
, and then ask them WTF?

Good story, and Thanks
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Michelle,

I ride a Yamaha cruiser in addition to the Busa, and I get the same reactions when I'm out riding. If I am doing a non-Harley sponsored event such as a Poker Run, people who ride Harley's are nice and give me props about liking my cruiser. About 80% of them will ignore me once they realize it's a Yamaha, the rest will acknowledge that it looks just like a Harley.

It is common knowledge that if you park your non-Harley bike at the Harley dealership, or at a known Harley hangout, you may find your ride vandalized, spat upon, or tipped over. If I am on my cruiser and need to stop at a harley dealership to look at bikes, I will either take my bike home and come back in my car which is also non-American
wow.gif
, or I will park down the street and walk back.

It is very amusing to be riding down the street and get a wave from a Harley rider, and in mid-wave they realize I'm not on a Harley and they try to take the wave back.
laugh.gif

Your prose style made it seem like I was riding right along with you, which brought nods of "yep, I know what you mean" from me. I'm certain that was what BACharles was trying to convey to you in a humorous way.

There is nothing better on a hot summer day then the icy stare from a group of hard-core Harley riders.
super.gif

Back