Hair of the dog...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Well, the weather was a little cool for extended riding today but I couldn't resist takin' 'er out. If I went nowhere else I just had to go back for some hair of the dog that bit me the last time I rode. That's right, I revisited the corner that sent me skating down the shoulder. I was on a mission.

To cut down on how long my thighs had to sting from the cool wind I skipped a couple roads and went into the corner from the opposite end this time. As I came up on it I thought to myself, "Damn, that don't look so bad. Why the f#@k did I lose it?".
rock.gif
Hmmm... I rolled through it at maybe 20mph just looking the roadway over. Yeah, it's off camber a little but not THAT friggin' much! Hmmm... I find a place to turn around and decide to take the corner at around 35mph just like I did the last time but without the throttle roll off. I just knew I could stick it.

I put the speedo on around 35 and got relaxed. As I approached the turn I went over my mental body position checklist... Ass slid left of center a couple inches... check. Right leg tight against tank... check. Left leg hanging out just a bit... check. Most of my weight on the pegs... check. I'm ready... As I enter the corner I counter steer a bit and drop into my lean while rolling on the throttle just enough to load the rear without increasing my speed too much. I was ready to give 'er more lean if necessary but there was no need. She was holdin' my line like she was on rails. Da 'Train was in 'er groove! Yeah baby!!!
biggrin.gif

I thought to myself, "That was way too easy. I gotta hit it harder!" Hehehe... A couple u-turns later I'm headed into the corner again. This time I'm rollin'. Don't know exactly how fast because I was concentrating my line and body position. No time to look at the speedo. This time as I enter the corner I roll on smooth but strong. So strong in fact that I got a little ass wiggle coming out the other side, and NOT because I was in MUD! Woohoooooooo!!! Ya know? I think that instant of ass wiggle on a busa rollin' hard off of a corner is almost as exciting as lofting the front in 1st and 2nd gear roll ons.

Almost! Hehehehehe...  
devil.gif

So, after revisiting what I affectionately refer to as the Bastard Corner I can tell you that my running wide and leaving the road had absolutely NOTHING to do with the off camber nature of the corner. Without a doubt it was my riding and state of mind that day that sent me muddin'. I had planned to make several passes through that corner today but after the second run I felt no need to hit it again. There was nothing left to learn from it. It taught me the only lesson it held the last time I rode. That lesson was... KEEP your DAMNED HEAD out of your ASS and STAY on TOP of your MENTAL GAME while RIDING. There is no such thing as "JUST CRUISING"!!!

I think my new quote should be, "Ride Hard, Think Harder!".
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: "Damned emoticon didn't work right..."|1070315210 -->

Congrats on the learning curve BT!

(get it , "Learning curve" hahahahaha, I just crack me up!
laugh.gif
)

I have my very own "bastard corner". It is a reducing radius, down hill, hair pin, right hander with tons-o-banking! It comes at the end of the Tortila flats run and gets my adrenelin going almost every time!

Gotta love it!

Congrats on the learning curve BT!

(get it , "Learning curve" hahahahaha, I just crack me up!
laugh.gif
  )

I have my very own "bastard corner".  It is a reducing radius, down hill, hair pin, right hander with tons-o-banking!  It comes at the end of the Tortila flats run and gets my adrenelin going almost every time!

Gotta love it!
ices_rofl.gif
Yeah, nothing like it!
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
biggrin.gif

Good Job BT. Glad to hear you've tamed the beast.

Jim

Oh Oh I get it...."LEARNING CURVE"....He he...

Glad you revisited the corner already BT...it would have eaten you up otherwise...

There is nothing the mind cannot overcome. I am happy to hear that you have killed your demon BT. The sense of accomplishment that comes with that is unbeatable.

J

There is nothing the mind cannot overcome.  I am happy to hear that you have killed your demon BT.  The sense of accomplishment that comes with that is unbeatable.  

J
Yeah, I'm glad I figured out what happened that day. Nothing teaches us like our mistakes. Just glad it wasn't an expensive or painful lesson!
wink.gif

Aaah YES!! That little wiggle feels good doesn't it?
So, did you have the bike set up to go into the corner and the road just "rose up" to meet the bike? I don't know if that makes sense, but if I'm leaning into a turn like that, I don't lean further when the camber changes, but it feels like it because the road rises, and the clearance between the road and the bike gets closer. If you hold your line it "feels" like you're leaning farther over. And if you continue to hold the line after the rise in the road it "feels" like you've come back up a little. (ok now I'm confused)

The first time through I actually I blew everything I could have possibly blown in the set up for that corner. I rolled off the throttle, loading the front to or just past it's limits. I done the dirt bike lean, keeping my body pretty much vertical and laying the bike WAY down. I had my ass centered and glued to the seat with most of my body weight on the seat instead of the pegs. The only sport riding rule I followed, and just barely at that, was to keep the shiny side up. So, no I didn't set up for the corner and then have the road come up at me.

In fact, even though the corner was a little off camber, it wasn't as off camber as I initially thought. My poor approach and execution made it seem MUCH worse than it actually was. My off roading experience that day had nothing to do with the road camber, it was 100% my mindset that day. I had it in my head that I was "just cruisin" and I got lazy.
wink.gif

But yeah, the ass wiggle is awesome!
biggrin.gif

Back