Guilty or not

Are you asking should the bike get a ticket or the car???The bike for speeding or car for failure to maintain control???
evil.gif

BT will probably correct me on this, but....
wink.gif

Typically, the operator of a motor vehicle is responsible for maintaining control over his/her vehicle at all times. If the operator failed to maintain control, and due to his/her actions, caused the ensuing wreck, then the operator should be liable for damages incurred during the wreck.

However, not just to take the biker's side, I can question their actions also.

The motorcyclist (rider) was addmittedly speeding in the above post, so I can see how the rider holds some responsibility in the events. Was the rider using a safe following distance? Did the rider signal the intended lane change? Were the possible reactions of the vehicle operators evaluated? Were the actions of the rider influenced at all by the available performance of their bike? Would the rider have performed the same lane change had he/she been in their personal four wheel vehicle?

The rider, and all of us for that matter, should always use the MSF Rider Course information while riding. The acronym, SIPDE, works wonders for preventing accidents. I don't remember the list verbatum, but here goes. It's been since 1998 so give me a break.
<ul>S - Scan for potential hazards.[/list]
<ul>I - Identify potential risks of hazards.[/list]
<ul>P - Predict what might happen as the hazards become closer.[/list]
<ul>D - Decide what action to take if the hazard becomes real.[/list]
<ul>E - Execute the planned actions.[/list]

I can picture the scenario as you typed it, and it appears to me that the rider made a quick decision to change lanes which, although within the rider's abilities, startled the car driver, and caused them to use poor jugement in their actions. Had the motorcyclist used some preplanning, they could have thought of an alternative way to clear the traffic, such as dropping back a bit, flashing a high beam (quickly), and waiting for the drivers to clear a path.

I don't know how the law would handle this, but if there were witnesses, then I could only assume that the rider could be charged with wreckless driving, wreckless endangerment, or contributing to the cause of an accident.

FWIW...That's my .02
smile.gif

I probably have been know to ride the same way, although I have never been so close as to cause an operator to swerve or brake. The headlight works wonders if used in moderation and with some restraint.

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1093908564 -->

Oh...now we get the whole story. Why didn't you just type that to begin with?
rock.gif

My first reply was started before the second chapter of the story was posted.

Ok here goes..two lanes going down the mountain..fast lane ,slow lane....car is going about 60 in the fast lane...and a car is going 60 in the slow lane..with a nice gap between them..so i slash though...fast lane to slow lane and back to fast lane.
Car in slow lane freaks out and thinks they are going to get rear ended and goes almost off the road or almost loses it....didn't lose it....could'a been ugly......The bike was doing about 80...
sad.gif
I would tend to say you are guilty as fugg.
laugh.gif

Mainly due to the way you tried to displace the blame in your first post, and then came out with the truth in the second one.

BT / Stunnah.......Get 'em
guns.gif

NOT THE BIKES FAULT EVER!!!! IF a Cager is so damned STUPID that he/she freakin runs off a cliff? Not your problem. Hell they DON'T LOOK OUT FOR US WHEN TURNING LEFT! FUG EM ALL!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

No I am not kidding. A Bus driver takes a busload of Nuns off a 1000' cliff because you "SPOOK" him on a canyon road? Not your fault.

Ultimately a person on the road is responsible for their own safety. Hell it's what the courts are teaching! Some lady kills a guy on a Harley, runs him right over while yapping on her cell. SHe gets probation and some community service... So there is no way that making a cage swerve is a crime.

NOW, making the LEO swerve?
rock.gif
That's sport!!!

laugh.gif

the bike might get something but like Stunna said failure to maintain control would be my guess.

I guess my question is...

Is lane splitting legal where you are. If not, your guilty as you shouldn't have been in that lane.

if so, the only thing yer guilty of is speeding.

BAH FUG EM Before they get the Cahnce to FUG you!!! KILL KILL KILL!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I dunno either...

laugh.gif

If you look close it was the low flying airplane that caused the accidet.
wow.gif

Back