Great day at the 'ol 500......Indy that is

Fonzie

Registered
My middle boy has finally "officially" entered teenage-dom, so his brother & I took him to the track yesterday for something special to celebrate this milestone birthday. Hopefully he remembers this day fondly the rest of his life. Did the same thing last year with my oldest, as his fell on Carb Day right before the race. Seemed like the appropriate place for a boy to enter young-manhood......with the smell of race fuel & burnt rubber wafting through the air!! :icon_evilgrin:

Weather was lookin' a little iffy, but we decided to chance it, and fortunately the rain held off until just as qualifying was over & we were leaving anyways. VERY windy, and mid 50's.......but at least dry! In fact.....the track announcers put a weather map on the vid screens near the end, and were laughing at how, literally, the whole track was surrounded by rain. It looked like those hurricane maps you see, and we were dry in the eye!

Shot over a 100 pix. Had gotten the boys some IMS hoodies for the trip, and they proceeded to have the drivers that would oblige, autograph them. Got some cool pix of the boys with said drivers, including Marco Andretti, who was gracious enough to do it even though his "handler" or whoever kept yellin' from the back of the cart that they had to hurry & go. :icon_thumbsup:

Danica Patrick & Tony Kanaan, on the other hand, were a different story. We were 2 arm lengths away from both, by the pit wall fence & as they turn to walk down Gasoline Alley, while my oldest was asking each of them for their autograph. They completely ignored him. He proceeded to jog alongside the concrete barrier with them, as there wasn't really anyone else there, & he had the room, and they continued to ignore him, even while I'm shouting "it's his brother's birthday". This was right before 6:00, when most fans had already left, so it's not like they were being mobbed. I guess they're just too famous for the little people now :icon_rolleyes:

Fast lap yesterday was 223.7 mph!! Kinda funny.....the announcers were talkin' about one of the drivers who was goin' 218 mph, and said his best time was...................3rd worst out of all 35 drivers!

Only the infield & those stands were open yesterday. Pic of right after we got there & parked........
Baileys13thatIndy005.jpg

Garage area with the tower in the background..............
Baileys13thatIndy007.jpg

This IS a bike board, right?!? Lost count of how many Ducks were in there......I think it was 6, along with a Beamer, several Yami's, scooter, etc.........
Baileys13thatIndy008.jpg

The most famous tower in racing...........
Baileys13thatIndy009.jpg

Baileys13thatIndy050.jpg

Some shots overlooking the front straightaway from the grandstands. Hard to time the shots right to get the cars in at 220+. Finally remembered to use my "High Speed" option....Duuuhhhh :icon_duh: ..........
Baileys13thatIndy011.jpg

Baileys13thatIndy017.jpg

"Her Highness" blowin' by in the background............
Baileys13thatIndy019.jpg

Baileys13thatIndy055.jpg

Was tryin' to get a shot of the vid board showin' the lap speeds in the background of this one, but not clear enough.............
Baileys13thatIndy038.jpg

More to come.....Sayin' "Too many pix"

Part 2........

Had to get in on a few pix with my boyz
Baileys13thatIndy039.jpg

Baileys13thatIndy045.jpg

Hard to get a good pic of the Wii car while pitting. They were either having a LOT of problems with this car, or making a LOT of adjustments........
Baileys13thatIndy053.jpg

Winner's Circle.........
Baileys13thatIndy061.jpg

"Too many pix" again.......
The "Bricks" at the Start/Finish line..........
Baileys13thatIndy062.jpg

If you look REAL close between their ears, and next to the crewchiefs arm, you can see Danica in her car waiting for her turn to go back out........
Baileys13thatIndy064.jpg

Better shot...........
Baileys13thatIndy065.jpg

Pic of Marco pitting in his Indiana Jones car...............
Baileys13thatIndy069.jpg

Part 3..........

Danica done for the day & talking with her crew chief.........
Baileys13thatIndy070.jpg

Baileys13thatIndy071.jpg

And getting ready to leave the track...........
Baileys13thatIndy074.jpg

More to come later, but got a b-day party to get ready for right now.

Pix are the property of the Fonz, and all that other copyright infringement stuff :icon_wink:

Next time you make it over to Indy, let me know and I will hook up with you. My daughter used to date the Chief of Police's son and she would go to the race in the Pagoda, top floor. (Guest of Tony George Speedway owner) She was able to hob knob with Steven Tyler and other celebs as a result. Lucky **** she is!

I went to my first Indy 500 in 1974 with a church group. Ended up seperating from them and hooked up with some girl that had a van and lots of beer. Crawled through my parents front door after midnight drunk as a skunk. Woke up the next morning on the front porch. Seems I passed out in the foyer and Dad thought I stunk so he dragged me back outside and locked the front door. I miss the good ole days...
cool.gif

great shots! would love to see and hear those cars and experience Indy one day
thumb_up.gif

Great shots.

[rant]
I used to do Indy every year till it became the Danica 500
thumb_down.gif
. So sick of her. Her poster is plastered everywhere and she hadn't even come close to winning anything at the time. When she's out here at Sears Point she's just as rude to everyone. She won't even wave to the crowd. Can't stand that persona. Hence, I don't attend IRL anymore.[end rant]

If you look close enough on one of those start/finish bricks out near the outside of the track you'll find my signature. I've signed every track I've visited (and that's quite a few).
cool.gif

Happy Birthday to your boy!

flamethrowingsmiley.gif
PM -->
Shanling @ May 16 2008 said:
1418795[/ATTACH] PM]
Next time you make it over to Indy, let me know and I will hook up with you.
Thanx......Sounds good

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Happy Birthday to your boy![/quote]Thanx....I'll pass that along to him!
thumb_up.gif

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

Back