Gps

GSXcite

Squirrel Master
Donating Member
Registered
My wife Mary wants a GPS system for her bike. Those of you who know and ride with me, know my GPS system is an old map folded up in my back pocket, if that.:laugh: All I know is that she wants one with bread crumbs, whatever that is.:banghead: I see Ram has mounts for her bike for most units, but I think she would need to go with one with a smaller screen. What is the best unit in your opinion for the $$. Thanks, Hal

you can snag a Garmin from Costco for under $120 (with LIFETIME maps): LINKY>>>>> Costco - Garmin nuvi 50LM 5" Touchscreen Portable GPS Navigation

P.S. I use an old nuvi 560 and have used it on a few long rides and it gets the job done (no frills, no fancy techie features). Many will swear that ZUMO is the best but it will also put a dent in your wallet (unless $$ is not an issue)

640454-847__1.jpg

She has a Garmin now for her car, but she wants a unit for motorcycles, and one that will retrace her route.

She has a Garmin now for her car, but she wants a unit for motorcycles, and one that will retrace her route.

The Garmin I have is NOT for bikes but after a 1600-mile trip last year and another 1500-mile ride this month......worked like a charm.
BUT.....I know that a happy wife is a happy life, so give these guys a ring:LINKY>>>> MOTORCYCLE GPS (GPSCity.com)

I think the new garmin 350 LM has the features she is looking for

zūmo’s premium navigation search bar returns addresses and points of interest as you type them in, giving you a faster, more intuitive experience. There’s also a speed limit indicator so you know when to throttle down and Exit Services that show you parks, gas stations, shops and restaurants for upcoming exits. With TracBack you can ride wherever the road takes you, then navigate along that same route back to where you started

I have no personal experience with the unit but it is the one I want for myself.

I have the Garmin Nuvi 1300 and it works just fine for me (esp on my budget). The only reason I would upgrade would be for a waterproof GPS.

Breadcrumbs are dots on map showing where you've been so you backtrack your way out the same route.
Basically if you get lost you can follow the breadcrumbs on the map to find the way out.

From the fairy tale where little red riding hood left bread crumbs thru the forest so she wouldnt get lost.
Or was it the three bears one? Heck I dunno?

Zumo 550 here. After using a Nuvi for MANY years, I upgraded.. The Zumo is much easier to use while wearing gloves, traces your route perfectly, is waterproof, is vibration-proof, and the bluetooth function that works as a headset (the Nuvi's won't do that)

Bite the bullet, you won't be upset you did.

Breadcrumbs are dots on map showing where you've been so you backtrack your way out the same route.
Basically if you get lost you can follow the breadcrumbs on the map to find the way out.

From the fairy tale where little red riding hood left bread crumbs thru the forest so she wouldnt get lost.
Or was it the three bears one? Heck I dunno?

it was Hansel and Grettle. :laugh:

i picked up a nuvi 350 for $60 from a pawn shop. i dig it. it works well. i use it to find bbq and motels. :thumbs:

I think the 550 and 660 are both great and if you want to hear the GPS these are great. They can connect with Bluetooth headsets and you can get calls through them. They are also waterproof. I have the 660 but I recommend the 550.

There are cheaper alternatives but you really do get what you pay for.

Regarding GPS systems.
After owning several garmin devices, like the zumo 550 and the 660 i have got rid of them and started using my Iphone 4s instead.
That leaves me with one unit only for navi, comunication and music listening.
With the Navigon software i also have the ability to plot exactly the road i would like to drive. i plot the route in my ipad (or even in mapsource/itnconverter, requires jailbreak) and send the link to open on iphone by mail. it can then be stored on the iphone.
i have been doing several 14day trips trough europe plotting my ride this way.

Here's what i use to mount this on my bike:
Iphone mounted in a lifeproof case with lifeproof mount compatible with gopro mounts.
Some leftover gopro mounts.
12v marine outlet .

Pictures of innstallation:
DSC04224.jpg

DSC04227.jpg

DSC04220.jpg

DSC04218.jpg

I have a scala rider G4 mounted in my helmet for voice guide&music etc.

To use the iphone with gloves u need a few stitches with some special thread, called kapasitiv(Nooorwegian) thread.
I got it at IKEA warehouse
Looks like this:

IMG_20120303_170805.jpg

Back