GPR V4 and Ohlins Steering Dampers Side by Side

goblinsix

Registered
I’ve had a little time to test out the GPR V4 steering damper on my Hayabusa and really like its function as well as ease of use. It is very easy to dial-in extra dampening with a simple turn of the dial, and its also very easy see the dampening setting with a quick glance.

Below you can see the GPR V4 and the Ohlins unit head to head. The Ohlins unit is mounted on my Ducati 848 and it also functioned flawlessly and saved me from two potentially nasty “tank-slappersâ€￾. The drawback with the Ohlins unit IMHO is that it is you never know where you are in terms of dampening by looking at the dial. You have to back it all the way forward or backward and then dial it back in with however many clicks you desire.

Both units are great, but I am really liking this GPR V4 and trust it with all of the extra HP that the Busa has that can push that front wheel into a slapper on either the street or the track.

Great photos, thanks.
I do like the look of the GPR and agree about the not knowing on the Ohlins.
Dont see why Ohlins hasnt seen fit to simply paint a little scale on body and mark knob.

I jut put an Ohlins on mine but it is in oem position underneath.
I live in Fl and its rare to find a turn so tankslappers are rare.
just wanted something stiffer to eliminate any issues at speed.

:thumbsup:

Rod dampers are more effective than a rotary damper but the accessability of the rotary damper is an attractive asset.

The rotary damper is more likely to suffer damage during a crash due to it's top mount position. Rarely is the stock position damper damaged during a crash.

We run Ohlin's rod dampers on all our bikes, race and street.

Why bother.I always found the stock dampner on my K8 just fine for me.I know the quality proably is not the same and very little bling factor but i never had an issue withthe stock unit on the street.

Ta-kid I neglected to mention this is my other thread but when I took off the stock damper and drew the rod back and forth in my hand it felt like it had gravel in it.
Also there was a noticeable distance about a 1/2 inch where it would travel free and then catch. This is only after 4000 miles. Maybe a defect maybe normal but it aint right.

The stock damper, just like forks, needs the oil changed once in a while. It's good to get the tiny work metal particles out of the piston chamber. If you maintain it, it will work well. Once you set the adjustable dampers where you like it leave it there. It will not be very noticeable until it's needed.

Blanca, sounds like yours was defective. You might be able to rebuild it and get it working the way it's supposed to.

I know that the down side of a stock mount dampner is not being able to adjust it on the fly. I also know that Brembo makes a remote brake adjuster.

Does anyone make an adjuster for oem mounted steering dampners? Ohlins perhaps.

TruWrecks it matters not as oem is already in box in the shed and Ohlins is on.
It just did not seem right and I only made note to others to let them know.
Maybe a defect maybe oil worn out holding her straight on the one or two times I went past 55 . :laugh:

Why bother.I always found the stock dampner on my K8 just fine for me.I know the quality proably is not the same and very little bling factor but i never had an issue withthe stock unit on the street.

Can anyone tell me exactly how these dampners work? I've heard that they prevent tank slap etc. What is tank slap and what causes it? Also why wouldn't the stock dampner work other than not being able to adjust it? Grant you that the after market dampners are cool looking but is it worth the cost being that the bike already comes with a dampner? Need some education on this one please. ???

Tank slap is when you do something to upset the chassis at speed causing the handle bars to turn violently (slap the tank so to speak). A steering dampner is a component like a shock absorber that increases the force required to turn the bars.

Thanks for sharing the great pics with us. I am leaning towards purchasing the GPR myself. We have some pretty rough roads here in Az.

Back